[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is anyone familiar enough with Henry James's late fiction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: james.jpg (102 KB, 834x1200) Image search: [Google]
james.jpg
102 KB, 834x1200
Is anyone familiar enough with Henry James's late fiction to know whether it'd be better to start with The Ambassadors or The Wings of The Dove?
>>
just read them in order. fuckin christ
>>
Depends on what you mean by "better":

-Chronologically, Ambassadors was "written"/dictated before Wings but published after.
-Ambassadors is an easier read and shorter.
-In the New York Edition, James himself put Wings before Ambassadors.
>>
>>8071442
Well, I believe he wrote The Ambassadors first, but published it after The Wings of the Dove. I assume you're arguing that I should read The Ambassadors first, then. Thank you for your input!
>>
>>8071442
Why on Earth does chronology matter?
>>
It doesn't matter what order you read novels. Just let this meme for already.
>>
>>8071471
Thanks for this. I'll go with The Ambassadors. I meant "better" in terms of the better entry point into his late fiction. If The Ambassadors is easier, that's the one I'd like to go with. I ultimately plan on reading the three of them.
>>
>>8071482
If you haven't read any of the late fiction, I'd recommend reading the stories he wrote in 1898 and after, when he began dictating and his style changed for the last time: Paste, In the Cage, Tree of Knowledge are a good sampling.
>>
>>8071525
Great, thanks for the advice.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.