[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just read this and it's probably my favorite book ever.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 51MB4KzloUL.jpg (45 KB, 310x500) Image search: [Google]
51MB4KzloUL.jpg
45 KB, 310x500
I just read this and it's probably my favorite book ever.

How would you rank Bradbury's works?

Also, what did you think of the Martian Chronicles and which were your favorite stories?
>>
I liked it when I was a kid but don't remember anything now, save that the colours were way more coral reef pastels and clay than expected (I'd expected Mars to be depicted as red at the time)
>>
hated them.
sometimes they were too cynical like the story of the last two people on mars who fall in love through phone calls but when he sees she's fat he runs away

other times they are too spiteful, like the one about the guy who makes a haunted house to kill a bunch of guys who "killed romanticism"

and sometimes they are too heavy handed like the ones where humans are the dumb greedy invaders and the aliens are the noble savages whose land we stole

also too poetic and not scientifically rigorous but that is personal taste
>>
I personally love Bradbury. "--And the Moon be Still as Bright" is one of my favorite short stories.

Or the story of the house on earth catching fire. I forget the name, but I liked that one too.

I know /lit/ doesn't love the guy, but I happen to really like most of his works. Also I want to absorb his prose into my face. It's a treat to read.

You read Dandelion's Wine, OP?
>>
>>8072854
Not op, but dandelion wine made me realize that I fucking loved depictions of small town americana, also, when the chick finds the guy in her house I was reading it in biology and nearly soiled myself
>>
>>8073212
Just really, that entire chapter was so fucking scary
>>
>>8070975
I think it's inferior to both Dandelion Wine and The Illustrated Man. I thought Fahrenheit 451 was silly, Ibe been meaning to read Something wicked.

My favorite story was the one where the Martians kill the spacemen by constructing an simulacra of small town America. That blew my mind as a kid and I still think it's a great story. I also like the first story just for the portrayal it gives of the Martians, like I said Chronicles isn't my favorite but that story really did a good job setting the tone for the rat of the book.
>>
>>8070975
I would rank him 9/10
my favorite book is the illustrated man
>>
>>8072106
>sometimes they were too cynical like the story of the last two people on mars who fall in love through phone calls but when he sees she's fat he runs away
fat vagina bearer spotted
>>
>>8070975
The only Bradbury book I've ever read was Something Wicked this way comes back in middle school. It was ok. Not much about it stuck with me 11 years later though.
>>
>>8070975

I remember reading that, but I might be confusing it with a other book considering the content. What I remember is that the sci-fi in this one was pretty weak and there was nothing spectacular. Considering other values of his stories, some deep message....meh. This one parriculary felt patronising as hell and like it is a children book. If I remember correctly one of the stories was literally
>we wuz martians n shiiiieeet
where the white man destroyed earth.
I liked Fahrenheit to some degree, because it had a good idea, but the execution was average at best.
I feel about Bradbury like I feel about Lovecraft, it is more fun to imagine the settings than actually reading his books.
>>
Captain Jonathan Williams and his three-man crew arrive on Mars and just want someone to pat them on the back for being awesome space cowboys.
All the Martians they meet seem unimpressed with their amazing trip.
The housewife Mrs. Ttt is more worried about her baking.
Mr. Aaa is too busy for them.
A little girl would rather play with her spider.
And Mr. Iii just wants them to fill out forms.
Sounds a lot like an ordinary day on Earth.
Finally, the Earth Men meet some Martians who are impressed enough to throw them a party.
Oh, but it turns out these Martians are crazy.
Since Martians are telepathic, they can make other people see their hallucinations. So, all those unimpressed Martians just thought the Earth Men were crazy, hallucinating Martians.
Well, actually, they think Williams is hallucinating and that his three-man crew is part of his hallucination.
Even the psychologist Mr. Xxx thinks Captain Williams is crazy.
Since there's no way to cure this sort of craziness, Xxx shoots Williams. Well, obviously.
The weird thing is, the other men still exist after Williams dies—even though Xxx thought they were just hallucinations.
No worries, Xxx will just shoot them, too.
Except that it turns out Xxx can still see the dead men and the rocket. Naturally, he thinks he's gone crazy, too.
So he does the only logical thing and shoots himself.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.