[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/lit/, I've decided I'm going to finish writing some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5
File: theonetruejest.jpg (90 KB, 500x775) Image search: [Google]
theonetruejest.jpg
90 KB, 500x775
/lit/, I've decided I'm going to finish writing some YA fantasy crap that I came up with in my teenage years. I still have all the notes, drawings, and drafts, and I think the plot is solid enough for the purpose. There's plenty of strong, female characters, the antagonist group is entirely xenophobic, and the protagonist has plenty of undiscovered childhood trauma that I can slowly milk dry and use to keep the story going without too much effort from any of the main characters, just like Rowling did with Harry Potter.

Can anyone give me advice on this? Has anyone here ever attempted such a thing? I'm convinced that if I get some key themes and character arcs right, all I have to do is come up with shit like pic related, and all the 14-yo girls will remember my book as the first time they got properly wet. I'm even willing to add a homosexual character (trans is a bit much for the setting, but I might be forced to do so if the edgy-character/word count ratio isn't sufficiently high), and some of my other ideas include:

>girl in protagonist group was sexually abused and will therefore make completely irrational choices that create tension and crises to keep the story interesting when the plot isn't moving
>girl in protagonist group is blind, but very sassy and confident, and capable of doing without effort that which the protagonist has great trouble with (later we find out that she wasn't born blind, but actually lost her sight through some kind of traumatic event, and she'll drop her tough persona for a while to be exposed as actually sensitive)
>the antagonist in the first part of the book turns out to be a childhood friend, and the real antagonist is actually the xenophobic capitalist establishment
>one of the protagonist's friends dies somewhere 3/4th through the book, causing the main character to become gloomy, mature, and careless, which will cause him to make some ethically questionable decisions during the climax

(cont.)
>>
What I need to know is, what are the next steps after I finish writing it? There will be plenty of platitudinous observations such as pic related, unnecessarily complex self-reflection, and imaginary struggles, so I think I got most of it down in terms of writing, but I wouldn't know where to go once it is finished. I'm thinking it is best to publish it (in parts) on some YA/fiction/blogger site to see if there's interest, and then try pull a 50 Shades of Grey. Does anyone have any recommendations for such sites? I'm looking for an audience that is predominantly female or otherwise void of wit, and I want the community to be such an intellectual vacuum that every single comment reads something along the lines of "I absolutely LOVED this". I will then use this audience to ensure that my synthetic tumour is kickstarted to the NYT bestseller list once I release it. I've already started thinking about what to put on the dedication page, I'm leaning toward "This is for the readers, the dreamers, and the adventurers" but I am open to suggestions.

So in short:
>what characteristics did I miss
>where to publish and how (in parts or in full)
>essential tips & tricks
>>
Yeah, nah. You're on your own, bud.
>>
File: 1457998386071.png (18 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1457998386071.png
18 KB, 256x256
Bumping because I want to see OP's master plan come to fruition
>>
>>8070300
>>
>>8070300
>>8071930

Thanks for bumps. Still need help finding a site to publish though. On a brighter note, I already started with a more detailed plot outline.
>>
>>8069956
>>what characteristics did I miss
Love story. Protagonist falls in love with the manic pixie dream girl character.
>>
>purposefully writing shit as a money-grab plan.
You are a piece of shit and we sure as fuck don't need any more of your kind.
>>
File: the_corner.jpg (28 KB, 575x328) Image search: [Google]
the_corner.jpg
28 KB, 575x328
>>8072379
Oh, yeah. Forgot about that. I'll try to make sure they have a semi-detailed sex scene as well to seem 'daring'. After that there'll be some inexplicable tension between them for a couple chapters.

>>8072448
The process is irreversible. People who want to read shit are going to read shit. I'd rather have the money myself than see it go to John Green. With it, I might be able to retire early, and write some actually worthwhile stuff, or do some other thing that is more constructive for society.
>>
File: envy.jpg (116 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
envy.jpg
116 KB, 1200x1200
You'll fail, discovering it's much harder than you ever thought and that John Green entirely deserves his stupendous success.
>>
>>8069955
>/lit/, I've decided I'm going to finish writing some YA fantasy crap that I came up with in my teenage years

Please... Don't. There's more than enough already.
>>
File: theKing.jpg (62 KB, 860x573) Image search: [Google]
theKing.jpg
62 KB, 860x573
>>8072578
>>8072604
Y'all just some jealous-ass bitches. Watch while I haul in them stacks, and write my literature from the comforts of a super yacht.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.