[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How often do you find yourself enjoying what you read? Is it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Narcissus.jpg (190 KB, 462x471) Image search: [Google]
Narcissus.jpg
190 KB, 462x471
How often do you find yourself enjoying what you read? Is it easier to get pleasure from it as a hobby if you do it more?

I'm taking up reading with some classics and despite that I'm not enjoying it as much as I'd hoped.
>>
If I'm not enjoying it I don't read it
>>
>>8069125
So you enjoy the books you do like from start to finish?
>>
>>8069118
Are you focusing on getting through the material quickly?
>>
Desperately trying to find pleasure where there is none?

By the by, true pleasure come after hard work.

It isn't always as easy as just masturbating.
>>
>>8069194
Kind of. I'm aiming at getting a general picture of what's going on. I feel that if I stop too much and look at the details then I'll enjoy it less.
>>
True literature is an acquired taste, you have to really learn for yourself what it is that makes these texts tick. It's not passive entertainment like a film where you're just along for the ride, it's something active and participatory. But there are ways to be hooked in anyway, I think appreciation of prose is the best way to get into it since it's more abstract and sensory. And from there you start examining it sentence by sentence, because in good literature every sentence or even word has a purpose for being there. When you start seeing the machinery at the micro scale, you can apply it to the macro. I hope I'm making sense to you, I'm tired and my buzz is dying down.
>>
>>8069272
Do you think rereads are a good way to improve this skill?
>>
>>8069275
Oh absolutely, it's heavily undervalued I think. Far better alternative to just trying to get as many books read as possible. Though also it could tedious if you don't really know what to look for. Trying to brute force it would be like slamming your head on a brick wall. Overall it's a matter of figuring out what the author is trying to do and if what they're doing is interesting or clever. So enjoyment of hard literature is half this discovering what it is, and half enjoying how it's doing its thing.
>>
>>8069246
That is your problem. Just read and get lost in the material, don't focus on how fast you are going.
>>
>>8069118
>I'm taking up reading with some classics
Stop reading modernist shit, it literally cuckold brain refuse.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.