[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I went to pick up a copy of Infinite Jest the other day, the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: infinite-jest220.png (52 KB, 220x342) Image search: [Google]
infinite-jest220.png
52 KB, 220x342
I went to pick up a copy of Infinite Jest the other day, the other copies were in horrible condition, so I picked up this one.

>pic related

Before I spend the time reading, is this the one I should read? Or did I get the wrong version? I would just like to know so I Don't waste time.
>>
Needs the Dave Eggers foreword for best reading experience.
>>
You are too stupid to live.
>>
>>8068887
have you picked up ulysses and gravity's rainbow yet?
>>
>>8068904
Feel any better?
>>
>>8068909
I have Ulysses. I'll pick up the other one eventually.
>>
>>8068887
This is the most recent edition with some errors fixed. I think it's the best version out there. Only the cover is less appealing but w/e.
>>
This bored is the only place in the universe that has heard of this shitty book.

It's a meme. It's spammed because it appears challenging to the new people here but it's literally just David Wallace rambling for hundreds upon hundreds of pages.
>>
>>8069252
My teacher once recommended me DFW. He's not unknown at all.
>>
>>8069271
he's pretty much unknown outside the US
pynchon too
>>
>>8069299
Nice dubs. I can confirm that people outside of America generally don't care about Pynchon and DFW. I did know a few Mexican hipsters—not Chicanos—who liked Pynchon, but they were great imitators of American habits and customs. Honestly a lot of the other pomo American writers who've been posted on here aren't cared about by Europeans. Writers like Bukowski and Sylvia Plath are far more popular.
>>
>>8069252
Is Ulysses also a meme? Because Joyce is one of the best writers-- or so I've heard.
>>
>>8069768
it's part of The Meme Trilogy.
so yes it's a meme
but that doesn't mean it's bad
>>
>>8068901
Dave Eggers is a fucking retard and I cannot advice first-readers enough to skip it and immediately start the reading the book.
>>
>>8069768
Saying that a book is a meme has become a meme of its own. Just because /lit/ memes about Joyce, Pynchon, and DFW doesn't mean they're bad.
>>
>>8069299
>he's pretty much unknown outside the US

true

>pynchon too

not true, albeit he is not very popular
>>
>>8069799
i recall i visited a russian image board back then whose literary board had its own meme books, it were... steppenwolf and the tin drum, they were memed so much that one could be banned simply for mentioning them
>>
>>8069822
goddamn we need this
>>
>>8069822
they're both good books but I understand why they'd be considered meme lit
>>
File: 1461931421012.jpg (107 KB, 652x960) Image search: [Google]
1461931421012.jpg
107 KB, 652x960
This exact thread is made all the time. It's obviously some underpaid, publishing house, on-topic shill. For that reason alone, IJ threads should be constantly ridiculed for the tardbait they are, and banished from these lands.

I've never read infinite meme & I never will. Never.
>>
File: 1459080958699.png (10 KB, 507x635) Image search: [Google]
1459080958699.png
10 KB, 507x635
It's just the latest printing, lad. You're fine.
>>
>>8068887
Anyone ever notice how many threads we have of OP buying a book and then asking our opinion on it, without having read it yet? What goes through the brains of people like this? Wouldn't it make more sense to ask before buying?

Or how about actually reading the damn thing, and then make a thread what you thought of it, and ask for opinions?

I don't get these dumb threads.
>>
>>8069942
Buyers Remorse, learn it fuckboy.
>>
>>8069324
One Filipino cares about Pynchon. I tried recommending him to classmates in college, had them read passages. They said purple prose, rambling, and pretentious.

Here I am on my 4th reading of Gravity's Rainbow. It's more beautiful now than when I first opened it.
>>
>>8069252
Infinite Jest was really fucking big in the lit-scene of the 90's. Everyone was talking about it, and pretended to read it.
>>
>>8069979
>buyers remorse before even experiencing the product
>being this retarded
>>
>>8070080
>you cant regret buying something like a book if you are told that the edition matters
You are not the brightest bulb if you can't imagine these possibilities.
>>
>>8069299
Belgium-poster here. Not a lot of people here know about DFW or Pynchon, allthough there are some. But most hipsters here stick to Bukowski. I have never heard anyone at all speak about Gaddis, Gass, Borges and Bolano. Not even English majors ( tbf, i don't know anyone that studies Spanish, maybe they'd know at least Bolano and Borges.)

Joyce is WAY more known though. Dubliners and Potrait are kind of widespread and i know a horde of people that 'tried Ulysess'.

tbqh, the students in my college are fucking poorly read. I bet 60% don't even have a fucking clue who Sylvia Plath is.
>>
>>8069793
What's wrong with it?
>>
>>8068901
Is he married to Heide Eggers?
>>
File: Deckle_edge_book_(Chaucer).jpg (163 KB, 980x754) Image search: [Google]
Deckle_edge_book_(Chaucer).jpg
163 KB, 980x754
Have fun being a literal girl
>>
>>8070077
More like a whole lot of undergraduates were talking about it. It had zero impact on the grown-up literary scene.
>>
>>8070634

What if you're a middle class white undergrad male? Then is it worth reading?
>>
>>8070668
Nope.
>>
>>8069841
>"we" need this

do you want an upvote or fries with that?
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.