[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I read Odysseus before reading Ulysses?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 220px-UlyssesCover.jpg (10 KB, 220x281) Image search: [Google]
220px-UlyssesCover.jpg
10 KB, 220x281
Should I read Odysseus before reading Ulysses?
>>
>Odysseus
no, you should probably kill yourself
>>
Don't read either
>>
>>8068813
It's 2 am and im tired as fuck
"Odyssey"
>>
File: Bicicletas antiguas.png (179 KB, 663x375) Image search: [Google]
Bicicletas antiguas.png
179 KB, 663x375
What is the best translation (yes, a fucking translation) for The Odyssey? I've seen some version in prose really cheap, what do I do?
>>
I'm on page 25. When does Leopold Bloom make his appearance?
>>
>>8068855
chapter 4
>>
>>8068809
you most certainly HAVE to read Odyssey because the book is FULL of allusions to the Odyssey
obviously duh?!? don't you know the Latin word for Odyssey is Ulysses!dummy. so of course you have to (read Odyssey before Ulysses) because they' re the fucking same name so obviously they' re connected

Do you know what\s the first chapter name for UIysses?? Telemachius/Telemachiad!
Who Is that?!!? ODYSSEYS SON. but you dont KNOW that until you read ODYSSEY

jesus CHRIST kids today DONT learn any THING
>>
>>8068809
Irish English graduate here.

You seriously don't need to know anything of Homer to appreciate Ulysses deeply, Joyce just utilized the framework because he knew it gives Literary circle autistis a hard-on. The beauty of the work is in its considerations of life, mind, character, language and prose.
>>
>>8068836
Fitzgerald and Fagles are the ones that are most widely recommended. I personally prefer Fitzgerald.
>>
>>8070177
autism
>>
File: CMPFwOJVAAAUBW3.jpg (39 KB, 447x653) Image search: [Google]
CMPFwOJVAAAUBW3.jpg
39 KB, 447x653
>>8068809
>Odysseus
>>
Nope, I'm 400 pages into Ulysses with only a general knowledge of the Odyssey having heard and seen various adaptations, but never having sat down to read it. It has not hindered my reading or understanding of the novel one bit, but it will be interesting to go back after having read The Odyssey
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.