[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>>>Now, Faustus, ask what thou wilt. >First will
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1463541576302.jpg (21 KB, 200x170) Image search: [Google]
1463541576302.jpg
21 KB, 200x170
>>>Now, Faustus, ask what thou wilt.

>First will I question with thee about hell.
>Tell me, where is the place that men call hell?

>>>Under the heavens.

>Ay, but whereabout?

>>>Within the bowels of these elements,
>>>Where we are tortur'd and remain for ever:
>>>Hell hath no limits, nor is circumscrib'd
>>>In one self place; for where we are is hell,
>>>And where hell is, there must we ever be:
>>>And, to conclude, when all the world dissolves,
>>>And every creature shall be purified,
>>>All places shall be hell that are not heaven.
>>
Hell wasn't mentioned in the Bible until it came to the West via Asia. Before then it was just Sheol, which was like Hades and certainly not a place of fire nor torment. Just a place where the dead went to chill.

I guess ideas can be tracked and discounted.
>>
It's hysterical that Faustus learns how much Mephistopheles despairs over hell and STILL sells his soul. What a douche.

FAUSTIAN POWER RANKINGS:
Marlowe > Mann > Goethe > Bulgakov

Not to say Bulgakov's is bad; they're all brilliant.
>>
>>8068456
Why don't we keep that one? It sounds much more pleasant.
>>
>>8068466
You can't control and influence people with a place to chill. Hell and the Devil are boogiemen adults started believing.
>>
>>8068466
It's more pleasant, sure. But it isn't great. It's like sitting in a waiting room for eternity while your Christian friends experience overwhelming love forever.

Sounds like shit
>>
>>8068456

implying the ancient greeks (leaving aside their philosophers) despite their afterlife was a field of asphodels where the shadows of dead hanged around didn't have concepts similar to the paradise and the hell as well; tartar as a very unpleasant place and isles of the blessed as a kind of paradise are already mentioned by hesiod, homer also mentions in odyssey how some of the shadows in hades are specifically tortured for their sins

jews likely had a similar conception of different regions of sheol with vastly different conditions, see the lazarus parable (luke 16:19-31)
>>
>>8068508
I don't even know why you're mentioning Biblical texts after Asian influence of Hell had reached the Middle East, as that doesn't mean anything.

Try again?
>>
>>8068463
Goethe > Pessoa > Marlowe Text A > Pushkin > POWER GAP > Bulgakov > Mann > Marlowe Text B
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.