[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your favorite chapter? I liked the one just before
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: 9781403715777-us-300[1].jpg (15 KB, 300x374) Image search: [Google]
9781403715777-us-300[1].jpg
15 KB, 300x374
What's your favorite chapter?

I liked the one just before the chase begins when Ahab is talking to Starbuck about the first whale he ever killed.
>>
>>8067128
lol starbucks didnt even exist back then
>>
>>8067133
made me chuckle
>>
>>8067128
I actually enjoyed the sections on cetology and whaling a lot. Wonderful background material written by an expert.

I think my overall favorites though were the part when one of the mates eats a whale steak, and when the boy gets stranded in the water.

>>8067133
Melville BTFO
>>
Great question!

I like the one where the one guy (sorry, forgot name) talks to the other guy (also forgot his name) and then one does a thing.
>>
The chapter where Ahab is talking to Starbuck about the life he left behind (maybe the same chapter as you, OP)

>Close! stand close to me, Starbuck; let me look into a human eye; it is better than to gaze into sea or sky; better than to gaze upon God.
>>
File: reeeEEEE.jpg (33 KB, 641x356) Image search: [Google]
reeeEEEE.jpg
33 KB, 641x356
What was the point of the whole Ishmael/Queequeg homoerotic thing?

Or is it one of those historically innocent things that just didn't age well at all? Like when in old movies, when you see guys having a "gay old time" and all that male camaraderie that wouldn't really be perceived as anything other than homosexual nowadays.
>>
>>8067128
The chapter where the crew follows this far off fountain from a whale. Its so serene and relaxing, I felt just as enchanted by it as the whalers did.
>>
>>8067169
Homosexuality wasn't really a thing back then. Guys engaged in cock-in-bum fun, but didn't identify as homosexual, so it wasn't seen as gay.

Also guys slept in the same beds all the time.
>>
>>8067169
I think the tension has always been there. I mean Ishmael compares the intimacy to that of a wedding bed, so I don't think that's completely devoid of sexual tension and wondering if this strange man you just met would like to enter you.
>>
>>8067179
>I felt just as enchanted by it as the whalers did.

lol sure u did lmao
>>
>>8067185
fucking faggots like you are what has ruined this board

have fun being a normie
>>
>>8067180

Did Melville know what he was doing?

I mean even back then, the homoeroticism seemed obvious; not least to the British censors, who cut those parts out of the book.

>>8067181
>>
>>8067195
Like I said, he was hinting to the fact that men had sex with other men, and that was certainly very normal for a (er...) seaman. It doesn't properly equate to what is "gay" now, because nobody really thought of a lasting relationship between two guys because they didn't see themselves as gay—just straight guys having fun (check out /fit/ if you want a somewhat modern equivalent).

Melville's readers could read between the lines, but it wasn't such a big thing. I dare say most people expected it in the same way the Navy now is considered the gayest branch of the military.

People often point to the fact that there were anti-sodomy laws back then, and that's true, but these laws weren't specific and didn't target just men. They outlawed all sexual acts that were "immoral" and that included among even married, heterosexual couples. In that regard, there is a tinge of the modern rhertoric that it is the act that is sinful, but that a person isn't inherently sinful (identifying as gay vs. engaging in gay acts).
>>
>>8067259
>People often point to the fact that there were anti-sodomy laws back then, and that's true, but these laws weren't specific and didn't target just men
The British ones were actually only targeted at men because Queen Elizabeth couldn't be convinced that lesbians were real.
>>
I liked the one about the whiteness of the whale. That was deep!
>>
>>8067128
Honestly I regret the time I put into this book. Some parts were beautiful but Melville needed a fucking editor and I couldn't actually empathize much with one incredibly articulate sailor, a cannibal, and a bunch of assholes running around killing every whale they can find because one dude's got personal beef.
>>
>>8067420
If you haven't already, you should read the work of the New England transcendentalists and then read Moby Dick again
>>
>>8067128
The weaving of the thingie (was it a mat? ) and the reflection about fate that Ishmael had. Also whatever chapter it is featuring the part about "the cannibalism of the sea". I have that stuff marked, but my copy is at my other place.

And the first chapter desu.
>>
>>8067128
I really liked the chapter which is a story about a sailor that was picked on by his overseer for being more manly than him, then causes a mutiny. The sailor tells the overseer and the captain that he will murder them if they punish him. The chapter ends with the overseer getting eaten by a whale.
>>
>>8067128
The one where I think Stubb makes the old black guy deliver a sermon to the sharks
so fucking weird

Loomings is a dope opening chapter as well. Midnight, Forecastle is also worth a mention for being weird af.
>>
That one sentence in chapter 11 that is like three pages long. I mean, it's not even grammatically correct but I'm not even mad.
>>
>>8067128
The chapter where Ishmael ecstatically braids whale semen and gets all caught up in fervor and literally orgasmic bliss over how interesting it feels
>>
>>8067128
"Do not talk me of Blasphemy man, i'd strike the sun if it offended me!"

*moaning* "Yes Herman, oooh yes.. more.. please"
>>
>>8069534
seconded
>>
The chapter where Gabriel shows us on that other, infected ship.

I also really like the whale steak part and the part where Ishmael is orgasmic over whale oil.
>>
Chapter 70 - The Sphynx

It was a black and hooded head; and hanging there in the midst of so intense a calm, it seemed the Sphynx's in the desert. "Speak, thou vast and venerable head," muttered Ahab, "which, though ungarnished with a beard, yet here and there lookest hoary with mosses; speak, mighty head, and tell us the secret thing that is in thee. Of all divers, thou hast dived the deepest. That head upon which the upper sun now gleams, has moved amid this world's foundations. Where unrecorded names and navies rust, and untold hopes and anchors rot; where in her murderous hold this frigate earth is ballasted with bones of millions of the drowned; there, in that awful water-land, there was thy most familiar home. Thou hast been where bell or diver never went; hast slept by many a sailor's side, where sleepless mothers would give their lives to lay them down. Thou saw'st the locked lovers when leaping from their flaming ship; heart to heart they sank beneath the exulting wave; true to each other, when heaven seemed false to them. Thou saw'st the murdered mate when tossed by pirates from the midnight deck; for hours he fell into the deeper midnight of the insatiate maw; and his murderers still sailed on unharmed- while swift lightnings shivered the neighboring ship that would have borne a righteous husband to outstretched, longing arms. O head! thou has seen enough to split the planets and make an infidel of Abraham, and not one syllable is thine!"
>>
>>8067169
Melville is theorized to be lowkey gay. he had the most homo writing correspondence with nathaniel hawthorne for ages. the section pretty clearly is about homolove
>>
i liked that hilarious moment how the innkeeper rasped a bench with a wood-pane and smiled
>>
*wood-plane
>>
>>8067128
I like the one where the whale goes:
>WWWOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOO-OOOUUHH-OOUH-OOOUUHH
>>
First whale hunt, with the men rowing with their backs towards this roaring sound of the waves and the whale breaching. Incredibly intense.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.