[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why plays are treated as literature, but screenplays aren't?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: Script page.jpg (187 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Script page.jpg
187 KB, 1024x768
Why plays are treated as literature, but screenplays aren't? Their potential for complexity, sophistication and inclusion of cultural elements is far greater, especially compared to 20th century plays.
>>
because we're a bad species
>>
Because, with theatre, the only thing that remains intact from place to place and country to country is the play itself.

With film, the thing that remains intact is the actual film.

This isn't even difficult to think out.
>>
>>8066915
Hollywood likes to keep screenwriters down because they're the number one threat to their system, its why they get no attention or fame despite being the most important role in film making by far
>>
>>8066915
because plays along with poetry were the earliest forms of literature in the western canon.

I think it's also because film studies diverged from literature studies in academia and so studies of screenplays get put under film studies.
>>
>>8066915
Scrpits don't circulate much outside of production circles and are published only afterwards, if the film garnered particular interest. The film itself is considered the finished product for mass consumption and some art is lost along the way to the market, like in the early days of comic book publishing, where a lot of drawings were discarded or destroyed after the publication of the actual books.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.