[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>hear about Dune all my life >used to be a big scifi fan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: 1442717760125.jpg (78 KB, 500x647) Image search: [Google]
1442717760125.jpg
78 KB, 500x647
>hear about Dune all my life
>used to be a big scifi fan but somehow never got around to it
>finally read it
>it's just some faggy fantasy shit set in space
150 pages in and its terrible, should i even bother finishing?
>>
>>8066551
It dont get any better.
I think the reason people hype it so much is because they read it as teens and never read anything better.
>>
>>8066551
What exactly were you expecting?
>>
>>8066574

Or they're nerds who keep cumming over how amazing the "worldbuilding" is or whatever.

I guess it's admirable the amount of thought and detail the author puts into it, but it doesn't make the book more compelling at all. How about interesting characters? or a story that isn't cliched?
>>
File: 1-13-Skeletor-Orgasm.png (928 KB, 1301x976) Image search: [Google]
1-13-Skeletor-Orgasm.png
928 KB, 1301x976
>>8066551
Is it really that bad? I was considering reading it myself, but if it's shit I won't touch it.
>>
I got to the part with the first sandworm and couldn't understand what the hell he was describing so I quit. The writing itself wasn't bad though, and I liked the attempted assassination bit. Does it get better after that point?
>>
>>8066551
You're not alone OP. I love scifi but dune was painful to trudge through. For the love of god, SHOW DON'T TELL FRANK. SHOW DON'T TELL. Your messiah kills people and your characters are unbelievably one dimensional.
>>
>>8066639
Frank got rid of robots and computers with the Butlerian Jihad to prevent the story from becoming about the gadgets and gizmos. Dune shows a completely different kind of development of humanity from typical sci-fi. The core of the story is political, environmental and philosophical.

Part of why the 4th book is so memorable was that he had built up this image of Arrakis in the previous three, a very concrete and detailed image, and then he completely deconstructs it. Idaho himself is driven nuts by the fact that the 'barren' environment had been destroyed and replaced with a supposedly lush, but much less natural world. I still remember the scenes where he was calling the Fremen a bunch of overglorified actors since all of them had lost their culture as a result of losing their environment.

Dune, again, is a story about how people interact with the environment and each other and is not at all about technology. Then there are philosophical elements such as the Kwizatz Haderach and the quandary of prescience. Paul sees his Jihad and is terrified of it, he sees what would happen if he refuses to lead it so he leads his jihad, he tries to guide it but it's horrible and kills billions of people anyways. Simply by viewing the future he sets it in stone. It's interesting when Herbert ponders exactly how a being copes with having deterministic knowledge of everything.
>>
>>8066551
>it's just some faggy fantasy shit set in space

ha ha ha, tell me, what books do you hold superior?

until you respond I will assume that your favorite books all have lots of fun pictures
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.