[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
are there any published novels written by legit crazy people?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (120 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120 KB, 500x375
are there any published novels written by legit crazy people?

plz don't just post books written by sane people as a joke. i only want the real thing.
>>
File: PhilipKDick.jpg (93 KB, 570x760) Image search: [Google]
PhilipKDick.jpg
93 KB, 570x760
Well, how do you mean,
>legit crazy people
?

Philip K. Dick comes to mind.
https://youtu.be/4cK2MPgAHRk
>>
>>8065454
i wanted to leave it mostly up to interpretation, but he is a great example

i think we can go crazier, though
>>
>>8065453
This thread can be full of writers who killed themselves, because you have to be crazy to end your own life. Look for books by these people.
>Hemingway
>London
>Hart Crane
>La Rochelle
>Plath
>Mishima
>Woolf
>Toole
>Big Dave
The list goes on.
Unless you're an edgy faggot that considers suicide sane for anyone except the extremely old and infirm.
>>
>>8065475
>because you have to be crazy to end your own life
One could--and I would be terribly surprised if no one up to this point had--argue that you would have to be crazy NOT to end your own life in a world like this.

My point is, I don't think suicidal tendencies are a good basis for someone's insanity or lack thereof.
>>
William S. Burroughs was probably insane IMHO
>>
>>8065453
>A sane person to an insane society must appear insane.
~Kurt Vonnegut
>>
>>8065489
Read Madness and Civilization: A History of Insanity in the Age of Reason by Michel Foucault, you'll understand >>8065475 point.
If you liked it, Abnormal is also a good read.
>>
>>8065498
damn.....
>>
>>8065498
This os basically the plight of the aspie
Imagine living on schizophrenic island where everyone sees things that aren't there and lacks the rational capacity to analyze and interpret the things themselves or the implications of this phenomenon.
>>
How would you classify the author as insane?

Comte, for example, was admitted into a sanatorium. Does that count?
>>
>>8065516
sure, that counts.
>>
>>8065453
Nietzsche, Thomas Pynchon probably has mental problems, Yukio Mishima definitely was insane, Franz Kafka was probably a bit insane, HP Lovecraft was insane, I mean insane/crazy can be subjective but these Authors definitely exhibited signs of severe mental health issues and some of them are more blatantly obvious.
>>
being insane can have many grades

a text written by somebody with an actually manifesting schizophrenia wouldn't make a book, i read such texts, they are too weird and distorted to make a book
>>
I think it's much harder for genuinely, bat-shit crazy people to succeed in literature as they might in most other forms of art.

For one, novel writing is incredibly time-consuming. Since there is effectively no feedback until the book is finished, the author needs to be able to delay their sense of gratification for months to years on end, which is a level of self-control that most crazy people lack.

On top of that, it's also quite cerebral in nature. A lot of the major elements of fiction, like plot development and wordplay and nuanced characterisation, operate off of the author manipulating the gaps between what the reader does and does not know. If an author can't accurately simulate how a normal person would think, the story is going to inevitably flop; say something too obvious, the reader grows bored; say something that can't be understood, the reader grows frustrated. To some degree, this skill is a component of all art, but in novels the balance is much more important since very few people have the wherewithal to finish reading a novel they're not enjoying as they would a shitty song or a garbage painting.

Now there are a few novels that are written to sound like they're crazy, such as Naked Lunch, Finnegans Wake, or some of Clarice Lispector's, but I think their authors were still anything but.
>>
My diary desu
>>
File: deb76bd5a21b111827b6212ed4a868d8.jpg (259 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
deb76bd5a21b111827b6212ed4a868d8.jpg
259 KB, 1200x1600
>For I will consider my Cat Jeoffry.
>For he is the servant of the Living God, duly and daily serving him.
>For at the first glance of the glory of God in the East he worships in his way.
>For is this done by wreathing his body seven times round with elegant quickness.
>For then he leaps up to catch the musk, which is the blessing of God upon his prayer.
>For he rolls upon prank to work it in.
>For having done duty and received blessing he begins to consider himself.
>For this he performs in ten degrees.
>For first he looks upon his forepaws to see if they are clean.
>For secondly he kicks up behind to clear away there.
>For thirdly he works it upon stretch with the forepaws extended.
>For fourthly he sharpens his paws by wood.
>For fifthly he washes himself.
>For sixthly he rolls upon wash.
>For seventhly he fleas himself, that he may not be interrupted upon the beat.
>For eighthly he rubs himself against a post.
>For ninthly he looks up for his instructions.
>For tenthly he goes in quest of food.
>For having considered God and himself he will consider his neighbor.
>For if he meets another cat he will kiss her in kindness.
>For when he takes his prey he plays with it to give it a chance.
>For one mouse in seven escapes by his dallying.
>For when his day’s work is done his business more properly begins.
>For he keeps the Lord’s watch in the night against the adversary.
>For he counteracts the powers of darkness by his electrical skin and glaring eyes.
>For he counteracts the Devil, who is death, by brisking about the life...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubilate_Agno
from a poem written by an insane guy, funnily but the most widely quoted part of it it's this one about his cat jeoffry

also note how only insane people would write free style poetry in the 18th century
>>
>>8065500
I mean yeah if you want to extend the definition of madness to include depression but I think that is a bit of a stretch. People commit suicide for numerous reasons, I've known people who have ended their lives because they had lost their job and soon after their family and the access to their children which lead to their decision. I knew the person and I wouldn't consider them as ever having been insane or crazy prior to this. I know Foucault goes on to include people like Nerval as a reason to believe that suicide is an expression of madness and all that but I don't think it is always the case.
>>
>>8065543
Many Authors compared to the average person might seem or even be crazy.
>>
>>8065453
Just write a novel, OP
>>
>>8065453
Hypersphere by anon. 700 pages, you can get it on Amazon.
>>
>>8065510
funny/sad that autists actually think this
>>
The Legend of 10 Elemental Masters by Ulillillia.
>>
Everything by Timothy Wyllie
>>
>>8065454
Wasn't anywhere crazy, he just fried his brain.
>>
>>8065522
Love all those people. Kafka was in the tradition of western shamanism. As Jung would say "Show me a sane person and I'll cure him"
>>
Ecce Homo was written right before Nietzsche went completely bonkers and you can tell if you've read his previous works, you can see some of his inhibitions dissolve as he assumes his final form as Dionysus the Crucified. His madness letters are also quality. I recall one where he legitimately seems to be mixing up Greek mythology and reality.
>>
>>8065984
>mixing up Greek mythology and reality
Is this a thread about how based Nietzche was?
>>
>>8065522
>Thomas Pynchon
/lit/ really have the need to shove Pynchon in every fucking thread possible, its amazing
>>
>>8066007
As if all that happens in the most sacred books is not replayed infront of our eyes daily? I understand why Nietzche didn't even most of "patricians" to read certain of his books.
>>
Publishers aren't particularly known for printing the ravings of legit lunatics, so the few genuine examples of what I think you're requesting are not generally available to the public.

Darger's In the Realms of the Unreal comes to mind, which as far as I know is really only accessible via John MacGregor's book about it.

Plath was certainly disturbed when she wrote the Bell Jar, but I guess it depends on whether you find clinical depression interesting.

I would argue that Finnegan's Wake is the product of a mind so far divorced from normal human thought as to constitute insanity. Again though, your mileage may vary.
>>
>>8065522
Thomas Pynchon is probably a pretty normal guy
>>
>>8066084
There is far too much order in Finnegans Wake for it to have been written by an insane person
>>
Depression isn't insanity, guys. People can still be capable of rational thought when depressed.
>>
>>8066111
It's babby hour right now, ignore this thread. Hardly anyone mentioned the complex relationship between insanity and genius. At least bring up Prometheus, but alas it's not bedtime yet.
>>
File: The_Amazing_Spider_Man_2_40497.jpg (10 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
The_Amazing_Spider_Man_2_40497.jpg
10 KB, 320x180
>>8065510
>This os basically the plight of the atheist
>Imagine living on schizophrenic island where everyone sees things that aren't there and lacks the rational capacity to analyze and interpret the things themselves or the implications of this phenomenon.

ftfy
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.