[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Think of a book you like. Got it? Good. What kind of reviews
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 21
Think of a book you like. Got it? Good.

What kind of reviews does it have on Goodreads? Find something funny and bring it back.
>>
ne1?
>>
File: roastie.jpg (98 KB, 623x489) Image search: [Google]
roastie.jpg
98 KB, 623x489
>>
DAE throw the book across the room??? pretentious!!
>>
File: Satantango.jpg (154 KB, 605x360) Image search: [Google]
Satantango.jpg
154 KB, 605x360
S'ing my damn h.
>>
>>8064866
what book is it?
>>
File: 61HRlH-ZcZL.jpg (93 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
61HRlH-ZcZL.jpg
93 KB, 800x1200
>>8064887
>filename
>>
>>
File: CatcherInTheRye.jpg (113 KB, 651x674) Image search: [Google]
CatcherInTheRye.jpg
113 KB, 651x674
>>
>>8064698
my god, what the fuck
>>
>>8065002
is this l'etranger? why are young people so at odds with this work as if it's some revolutionary thought
>>
>>8065023
I get pissed with people like this
Catcher in the Rye is by far one of the best books I've ever read
>>
File: reddit memery.jpg (29 KB, 651x131) Image search: [Google]
reddit memery.jpg
29 KB, 651x131
>>8064142
goddamn, literally the second review is a reddit tier "joke"
>>
I don't care what plebs think.
>>
File: 845456456.jpg (13 KB, 438x92) Image search: [Google]
845456456.jpg
13 KB, 438x92
>>
File: 123981623.jpg (159 KB, 897x407) Image search: [Google]
123981623.jpg
159 KB, 897x407
>>8066239
Alternatively,
the more unappreciative side of readers. Seems to be mainly dykes upset because they will never experience anything similar.
>>
>>8066250
Which book?
>>
>>8066167
No other book better described adolescence than that one. It's the book everyone who has to deal with teenage boys should read.
>>
File: war and war reviews.jpg (268 KB, 624x1037) Image search: [Google]
war and war reviews.jpg
268 KB, 624x1037
i see
>>
>>8064888
Is that any good?
>>
>>8066356
it's fucking great
>>
Can anyone tell me why Goodreads is so popular in Arabic-speaking countries? Like every third review is in Arabic, and for every book there seems to be an Arabic duplicate mentioned in the "Readers also enjoyed this" section
>>
I'm reading reviews on this site, and there's no way these can be real.

The bad reviews sound like a caricature of a millennial/valley girl mix

Some people are just reviewing the movie

I'm not even joking, some go off on a tangent just to try to write something 'deep' and 'meaningful'.
>Review for The Circus of Dr. Lao

THE. MOST. UNSETTLING. THING. I. HAVE. EVER. READ.

As if in coda to my completion, a painter brought into my folks' decorating store a dead hummingbird he found in the back of his van. He brought it forward like an acolyte bearing the thin weight of his aged master, forward toward a raised dais, laying it down, then prostrating himself in supplication. The painter said to me, lying the stiff, inert carcass upon my desk, "I thought you could give it a good burial. I...I...I just don't know how it got in there..."

And so a soul was claimed.

This book is a monster. It is a monster for the mirror it shines upon us all: our humanity, and our vein attempts to circumvent it.

It begins calmly enough, an advert placed in the Abalone, Arizona newspaper, announcing the circus of Dr. Lao was on its way. But no one saw it on the roads. And no one saw it on the rails.

We meet a scattering of characters, all used ingeniously by Mr. Finney for what they bring to his plot. These characters he sets in motion, automatons in Dr. Lao's diabolical scheme.

From page one, the reader is aware of what to expect, for it is spelled out in the curving letters that slither through Mr. Lao's advert. We simply sit back, and feel the weight of suspense as it presses down upon our chests.

The weight lifts, and you feel giddy. You're standing in a warm green pasture, rolling fields in the distance. The sun shines bright above your head, warming your shoulders. Clover peoples the grass, spores float on the breeze. A butterfly, yellow, diaphanous wings, dips, swirls around your head, kisses your nose with its scratchy lepidoptera legs. You're at peace. Calm. You feel you know your place in the world, are at one with it.

You see a spark in the sky. Very tiny at first, and then it grows, expands, contorts. It is silver and it catches the sun. Glints. You hear the whine of a motor, a clunking, sputtering sound. As the glint falls, the noise rises, shivering your arms, causing the tiny hairs to stand on end. Your skin warps, thins. The sound is deafening. You feel a pulse inside your head, your eardrums beat an irregular rhythm, your legs quiver and you fall. Your arms are above your head the the weight of this object that is falling, falling, flames, you see as you look up are licking out, tasting the fragile air.

Palms pressed against your ears, you huddle into a fetal position, close your eyes, and wait for the silence that will come. (less)
>>
I prefer not trying to intentionally piss myself off with whatever the worthless rabble has to say. I am goddamn zen, and so should you.
>>
>>8066178
That guy is or was from /lit/
>>
>>8066239
Paps changed my life too. I haven't read the book in years but his voice pops up form time to time in my inner monologues.

I also started wearing cords because of that book.
>>
>NO NO NO NO NO. DID I STUTTER? NO.

I can't put my finger on why I find internet millennials flipping the fuck out so cringey but I almost get secondhand embarrassment from reading shit like this. It's like the crocodile brain reaction you get when you see someone make a fool of themselves in public.

These are clearly very damaged, sad people.
>>
>>8066270
Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me
>>
File: smh indeed.png (250 KB, 602x823) Image search: [Google]
smh indeed.png
250 KB, 602x823
>>
>>8066579
Which book?
>>
>>8066365
Then I will pick it up.
In original language
>>
I was ready for some anger, but my favourite book has no reviews

shit
>>
>>8066743
so jealous of you right now
for the record, i was just talking about the george szirtes translation, which is fucking great. i have no idea how good the original is
>>
File: mansfield park.png (149 KB, 822x879) Image search: [Google]
mansfield park.png
149 KB, 822x879
>>
File: 1463312373371.jpg (58 KB, 570x551) Image search: [Google]
1463312373371.jpg
58 KB, 570x551
>Reading the reviews of The King James Bible
>People reviewing it as a novel
>Fedoras left and right

You don't have to be a believer,just don't be a snob over it
>>
File: mansfield park 2.png (136 KB, 822x879) Image search: [Google]
mansfield park 2.png
136 KB, 822x879
>>8066812
>>
File: mansfield park 3.png (116 KB, 641x692) Image search: [Google]
mansfield park 3.png
116 KB, 641x692
>>8066830
>>
>>8066828
Why are people so whiny about that particular thing? I get it. It's not exactly an original observation that a ton of the bible is nonsense. But why do Christians need safe spaces whenever someone is critical?
>>
>>8066828
why would you read reviews of the Bible
>>
File: 1457206428314.gif (2 MB, 400x303) Image search: [Google]
1457206428314.gif
2 MB, 400x303
>>8066579
>baka
>def

What is it that makes people think typing like this in a book review is acceptable?
>>
>>8066846
What bothers me is that they are trying to be witty and smart about it so they do it in a sarcastic manner.
You are free to belive whatever you want,but please give at least a minimal ammount of respect to the faith and the church that operates hundreds of charity organisations around the globe.
In exchange,I respect your beliefs too.

>>8066849
I don't know.
Looked like a good place to find stupidly written reviews
>>
>>8066143

because they're told to be, nothing more nothing less. It's their patrician novel.
>>
>>8066853
>s m h filtered to baka

Learned something new today desu senpai.
>>
>>8066709
The Quiet American
>>
>>8064142
(Concerning the review in the OP of 'Cryptonomicon') The second-place review (by Kemper) only need 14 more 'likes' to overcome the SJW in first place. Let's make it happen:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/816.Cryptonomicon
>>
>>8064888
have you seen the film, anon
>>
>>8066903
Yes.
>>
>>8066250
sounds like Harry Potter
>>
>>8066509
If you're under 35 you're also an Internet millennial, you chucklefuck.
>>
>>8066830
It really is funny how many young women start reading Austen hoping to find some exciting tales of feisty women choosing their own destiny along with an indictment of the patriarchal and stuffy society they live in, and instead find proper and dignified love stories with a sprinkling of 18th century moralizing.
>>
>>8068451
>proper and dignified love stories with a sprinkling of 18th century moralizing

They're comedies, asshat.
>>
>>8068462
how does that contradict any of what I said?
>>
>>8066579
If a license to read was a thing they need it taken away. At least revoke their library cards.

>>8066892
Marry me?
>>
File: The Beach by Alex Garland.jpg (31 KB, 624x168) Image search: [Google]
The Beach by Alex Garland.jpg
31 KB, 624x168
t. Pseudo-Swede Cuckold
>>
>>8066250
At the risk of starting a shitstorm, I'd like to say that as a feminist this sort of shit pisses me off. I always see people getting angry that a book from fifty or a hundred or a thousand years ago is sexist. NO SHIT. It was the past. Things were different. You can't expect writers from decades ago to be as inclusive as our modern Western society is.

It's part of a larger problem I see with Angry Internet Feminists and their ilk: they are completely unable to accept viewpoints different from their own. They will reject an entire book, an entire body of work, just because a woman was made to cook and clean for her husband, or because someone said nigger, or because someone insulted trans people. They expect everyone to agree with them on everything, and if you don't you're evil, you're backwards, you're on the wrong side of history. It's extremely obnoxious, and more importantly detrimental to their cause. Getting mad at every little thing is not going to solve society's ills.

tl;dr these bitches need to grow up and accept that other people have differing opinions.
>>
>>8070265
Is this a pasta?
>>
File: Stoner by SJW.png (64 KB, 683x350) Image search: [Google]
Stoner by SJW.png
64 KB, 683x350
Feels a bit like cheating since women are not able to put them self in Stoners shoes.
>>
File: image.jpg (102 KB, 750x676) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102 KB, 750x676
>took two years to read around 600 pages
Almost every negative review on Moby Dick is hilariously stupid.
>>
>>8070432
>>8070806
what are women even for, anyway

is baby incubation really so valuable that i have to put up with this
>>
File: poop.png (41 KB, 573x754) Image search: [Google]
poop.png
41 KB, 573x754
Man, it's just a book about killing giant alien ants.
>>
>>8064698
Kek
>>
>>8064866
>self indulging
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.