[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone have experience writing books on Upwork or any other
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: file.png (19 KB, 687x324) Image search: [Google]
file.png
19 KB, 687x324
Does anyone have experience writing books on Upwork or any other freelancing sites? How picky are these contractors? Can you get away with mediocre work and pocket some money on the side?
>>
I've only written one book (a Christian, anti-Marijuana addiction Romance novel). The people who hired me were totally chill and gave me a bonus despite me turning in the project a week late. Other people have not been so forgiving. I think probably the not forgiving is the more common experience but I don't really know. Mostly the problem is succeeding given that Upwork has far too many writers all trying to pick up the few jobs that actually pay anything more than zero dollars.
>>
>>8062022
>Mostly the problem is succeeding given that Upwork has far too many writers all trying to pick up the few jobs that actually pay anything more than zero dollars.

Every
Freelance
Site
Ever

Indians will literally drive down the price so hard It's incredibly, like hundreds of manhours of work for $5.
>>
>>8062033
It definitely doesn't help that Upwork takes a cut, making every 100$ magically into 90$.
>>
>>8062022

>a Christian, anti-Marijuana addiction Romance novel

I bet you pray to God thanking him for the fedora meme
>>
>>8062058
If I believed in God, sure, why not?

I wrote the novel they wanted and I did the best job I could given the subject material and outline they gave me. It also was set in San Diego, a place I've never visited, so I fucked around with details as necessary.
>>
>>8062058
Does the mere mention of God trigger you, you pathetic little faggot?
>>
>>8062033
The entire 00s/10s "gig economy" whether it's online freelancing or one of those godawful app-based things like uber is a cruel joke.
>>
upwork is nonsense unless you're the top 10%.

the indian thing is a meme, you can easily differentiate yourself from everyone by taking the site's test, by uploading some samples. the people who hire indians and others who lowball arent worth working for anyway as they arent looking for quality.

the problem with the website is... skill isnt necessary. as long as you're somewhat ok, you can probably pass. the biggest problem is the profile you have to put together, which requires a picture. and thats what you run into trouble once you see exactly who is getting the jobs. so its either *random female* or... someone who is ridiculously overqualified getting 20 bucks for a small job.

"i'm an assistant professor and i've had 10 years experience and....." you see the last jobs they did and and it's revising some high school paper for 20 bucks.

really not worth it unless you market yourself and you build up customers because actually bidding for things EVERY JOB YOU WANT TO DO is pointless for the low money it gives you.

TLDR unless you're willing to work your way to the top 10% (which from what you can see publicly, still arent doing very well) , dont even

great place for getting people like OP to do your work for you while you still the ebook on amazon.
>>
>>8063102
Just for clarity's sake, did you work your way into the 10%? I'm the Christian romance novel guy, and while I'm not really thinking about working through Upwork again I'm curious to know what I could have actually done to succeed in the long term.

Also, I figure this is good a place to share this site that I use to find gigs (http://www.freelancewriting.com/). Frankly, I've found a bunch of bullshit jobs on here, but they also have a section for small market magazine submissions for both fiction/non-fiction and literary/genre stuff.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.