[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>he made a mental note of it and then filed it away for later
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: le meme sigh.png (22 KB, 232x200) Image search: [Google]
le meme sigh.png
22 KB, 232x200
>he made a mental note of it and then filed it away for later

why would anyone think thats how people think
>>
>>8061386
I'll make a mental note if this to review at my leisure
>>
>>8061386
What are you talking about OP? I do this all the time.
Like if I'm on a date, and the girl says something weird, I can't just sit there and think about it because I would relegate myself to contemplative silence. Obviously I'm just going to make a mental note ("I'll think about that later") and preceed with normal date conversation.
>>
>>8061407
I just think its a cheap way to make the protagonist know about something until they need it
>>
>>8061386
Why would anyone think their unique experience is representative of everyone else's
>>
>>8061386
Honestly, I think most authors are way off track constantly trying to represent consciousness in writing. I think Cormac McCarthy was going in the right direction with Blood Meridian.
>>
>>8061386
Just took a snap thought and scrap-brained it.
>>
>>8061448
i hate you for just now making me think like that. Isn't all reading just thinking? I mean its just words in your head.
>>
>>8061459
We've got a real thinker here.
>>
Once upon a time I had to do an important paper for class. I decided to do it the night before, and so I didn't sleep all night and wrote my paper. When dawn came I showered and went to school. At school I was friends with a cute girl and she laughed at how sleepy and tired I was. I was a zombie for the entire day. That night our class was to go to the theeatre to see a play. The play was at 20:00 but the last lesson ended at 18:00 so I had two hours to kill, which were not enough to go back to my appartment. I said so to my friend the girl and she says "Anon, do you want to come to my house and then we go to the theatre?"
I was a turbo turbo virgin and my penis literally stirred in my pants and my stomach made some kind of empty feeling move when she said that. I had these big serious eyes from not sleeping and I had been staring and wondering what the fuck was going on the whole day.
So we went out of the school and went the usual way but where usually I would fork right into the metro and say goodbye to her I I kept walking by her side, which was strange and also got my stomach rumbling somehow. But I did like OP says, I "stored the thought for later", like it was some precious jewell. I remember going on and on about irrelevant shit in the metro and walking to her appartment and in her elevator and when she opened the door to her small room I thought about all the boys who like me had seen a girl opening her apartment door and had been beckoned inside and maybe had made love with the girl and I felt a sense of belonging in a way to this community of young men who had followed a girl home and watched her butt discreetly and somehow kissed her.

When she closed the door I was so tired that I was thankful for being so tired. I thought that in my normal sober state I would have been so stressed and nervous (I thought she wanted to kiss or something and I was a turbo virgin supreme) that I would have uined and spaghetti'ed everything. But in my tired state I was slightly drunk, repetitive actions seemed entertaining and focused thought came easily. I felt "swingy", moved with some kind of grace that came from knowing that everything is irrelevant to a man that hasn't slept in a long time. I didn't care and that was the problem. I kind of spoke my mind, I didn't take time to store some thoughts away like OP says. I regret it now.
>>
>>8061386
>People don't intentionally remember stuff
>>
>>8062129
What happened next?
>>
>>8062344
We went to the theater. It was good. She didn't even seat next to me, because some fat cunt from the other class that was coming with our class sat next to me. I guess I must have somehow angered mmy friend girl because this night is in my mind the starting point of a period where she ignored/cold shouldered me. I think it's because of what happened in her room, which was certainly not sex. On one of her shelves she had written the things some girls wrote, like "best friends forever" with lipstick smooches from her lips and from her best friend. I can't recall but it was something like that. I read that aloud in a nearly sarcastic voice and made this face (pic related). Keep in mind I was very tired and this girl stuff doesn't appeal to me at all. She could have been offended by that, maybe.
Looking back, I realize how autistic I have been. And I'm not even autistic normally.

The girl was moving to another appartment on the next day and I had been invited (you know how girls invite you to help them, as if you were born to lift heavy stuff and stand in a corner) to help her. So I got back to my flat, passed out and woke up the next day at 9:00. I went to her appartment and carried some boxes with her and her friends, who were also my friends (I was the only male in a group of 4-5 females). Her uncle was supposed to drive the boxes to the new appartment, but during one of the several trips his car broke down and that was that. As I've said, this was the start of a period where she kind of ignored me.
Should I have tried to kiss her? Am I an autist? Probably.
In the end she kind of ignored me until the end of the year. The last day we were walking, me, her and another girl, and they were talking and kind of ignoring me, as if they were alone, which they would usually not do. So I just stopped walking. I stood there watching them walk away. And when they didn't look back, I walked into a side street and went home. I never spoke to any of them again, and now I live in a different city.
fuck me /lit/ this is why I avoid people.
>>
File: 176937_heroa.jpg (19 KB, 620x430) Image search: [Google]
176937_heroa.jpg
19 KB, 620x430
>>8062465
forgot pic
>>
>>8062465
a tragic story lad
told with such beautiful prose too
>>
This seems familiar. Is it from Tai Pei?
>>
>>8061407
But I actually do just sit there and mull over it during the conversation. Most likely, anyways.
>>
its a metaphor
>>
>>8061417
I think it's leading the reader, which may or may not be desirable.

I mean, wouldn't a Chekhov's Gun be just as easy to put in the same place?

A seemingly passing mention, uncommented upon by the character as an interesting detail, suddenly brought into sharp focus.

I like that technique much better.
>>
I recently heard someone claim that the harlem shake is willfully depriving yourself of oxygen for a while to get high. The resulting spasms is why it's known as the Harlem shake. I made a mental note of it and filed it away for later. A week or so I carried this mental note with me, until I found some time to google that shit.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.