[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what happens when you die convince me it's not nothingness
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: rwe.jpg (94 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
rwe.jpg
94 KB, 500x500
what happens when you die

convince me it's not nothingness
>>
nothingness
>>
File: four_seasons.gif (998 KB, 499x259) Image search: [Google]
four_seasons.gif
998 KB, 499x259
look at the signs nature gives us :o)
>>
>>8061038
well, your brain releases a bunch of dmt and you hallucinate for a bit. then it's nothingness.
>>
>>8061078
>Muh dmt in the brain myth
>>
not nothingness, although I don't know what

there looks like all the bases have been covered
>>
>>8061038
you go to heaven.

its true because i read it in a book that's not in the fiction section.
>>
>>8061124
that's stupid. the bible belongs in the fiction section.
>>
Read the Monadology.
>>
File: 1443400852958.gif (3 MB, 240x140) Image search: [Google]
1443400852958.gif
3 MB, 240x140
>>8061128
>>
karmic recurrence, you'll live again, but only in a form fitting to how successfully you destroyed your sense of self here, in this life.

inb4 stfu Nietzsche
>>
>>8061153
Are you just presenting another theory, or do you really believe so?
>>
i don't know
nopony knows
phaedo didnt persuade me
i feel sad -_-
being agnostic is hard
>>
The opposite of being
>>
File: 1462913527870.png (83 KB, 377x377) Image search: [Google]
1462913527870.png
83 KB, 377x377
>>8061078
Holy shit how long will you fucking pseuds keep spreading this myth?
>>
>>8061985
how is that haircut named?
>>
>>8061038
I'm pretty sure it's just like a fart in the wind

we just get blown away unto the aether

particles to far a part to be smelled

by even the best of noses
>>
>>8061038
What happened before you were born?
>>
>>8061038
absolutely disgusting how you have to cling to this delusional belief, you sheep.
>>
>>8061978
>nopony knows
>tfw lost /mlp/ are the only people reading the classics
at least you probably got more out of the clouds than most =/
>>
>>8061054
>sometimes, observable phenomena are periodic
>therefore you are reborn when you die
>>
1. Death restores you to a state of non-existence, the same as before you were born
2. Before you were born you were in a state of non-existence and you were brought from this into existence

Why the fuck is this so hard for people to see?
>>
>>8061054
>>8062118
the trees stay, but the leafs are not the same. in autumn the old ones die, and in spring the completely new ones grow.
>>
File: 1371291919-q9n.jpg (68 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
1371291919-q9n.jpg
68 KB, 450x300
>>8063174
Botanist Francis Hallé thinks that the trees are excrement from the photosynthesis process.
>>
>>8062100
how is that relevant?
>>
Are you sure that you even live?
Brain is just a biological computer.
>>
File: Schopringles.jpg (200 KB, 400x534) Image search: [Google]
Schopringles.jpg
200 KB, 400x534
You will be that which you were (or were not!) before you were born.

But take heart! For you will experience...

ETERNALLY RECURRENCE!
>>
>>8061978
Did the Phaedo really convince anyone?
He isnt able to define the individual soul. Spinoza and Hegel do the whole ontology thing way better.
>>
>>8061140
>never actually puts on a fedora
Ya got me
>>
>>8061989
Side parting, afaik
>>
>>8061038
You go to a nice farm in the country.
>>
>>8063837
I feel like analogies like this (assuming its an analogy) are always silly.
"Plants are excretment of photosynthesis"
No, plants are organisms which photosynthesize, amongst other qualities.
We already have adequate language to describe these things.
>>
>>8061038
This is just the thing. lt doesn't matter what you believe. You want others to believe for you.
>>
>>8061054
and one day all those trees will die, and rot away into the earth.
>>
>>8066386
the trees is leafs too
>>
>>8061038

I always thought death was the same as pre-birth. You have no real conception of existing after it.

It's impossible for me to imagine, though. It's weird to think all my emotions will just TURN OFF and not exist.
>>
>>8065642
You're assuming wrong, plant.
>>
http://dbanach.com/death.htm
>>
>>8061038
your body breaks down and becomes plant and animal food. these will be food for other animals. you will become a turd that will dry become turd dust which in turn starts the process all over again.

might as well go around and call everyone turd dust. it's what we all are.
>>
From a phenomenal and subjective, what-it's-like point of view you will almost certainly experience *something* but you won't be able to articulate it, since you will, after all, be in the process of dying and never-returning. The thoughts that you have, the very thoughts that distinguish you from others (=your personality), only come to surface in your mind because you're willingly engaging in an active, neurobiological process that we call 'thinking', but there is no reason to think that this activity goes on by its own accord after your bodily death. So, nothingness, or something very close to it, it is.

From an empirical point of view you'll simply disintegrate to the point that it would be practically impossible--though possible in principle--to collect and rearrange those once-disintegrated chunks of your body in such a configuration that it resembled some prior version of you.
>>
File: Death_Train_(402)_1.png (82 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
Death_Train_(402)_1.png
82 KB, 300x169
>>8066450
>decomposition

beat me to it.

Stop complaining and make the best of your current existence.
>>
>>8061038
Not nothingness, only silence.
>>
>>8061038
i just think about the time before you were alive, before you were born, absolutely nothing, you don't even know your alive to see the blackness. Its comforting and sad to know
>>
Your remains become food for new life, so in a sense you do reincarnate.
>>
>>8065666
OK devil zizek
>>
>>8061038
it's not-nothingness - the absence of any experience, including that of nothing.

>>8066484
if you want to experience your consciousness falling apart (I imagine the process is similar to some deaths) smoke salvia.
>>
>>8061038
>It's
That's not nothingness. Nothingness isn't.

However, nobody on this side of the yawning awe can answer that question for you definitively. Everyone claiming to is lying.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.