[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's a good story? I don't want any journals or essays
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 77-stalker-iancurtis.jpg (23 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
77-stalker-iancurtis.jpg
23 KB, 500x300
what's a good story? I don't want any journals or essays or philosophy books, I want a bonafide story. Fiction or non fiction. I just want something incredibly interesting, or something that really enriches your point of view, like makes you think about the human race. You ever seen blade runner, or ghost in the shell, or serial experiments lain, or akira? I like those sorts of themes, they feel so philosophical.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is I'm looking for a book with extremely philosophical undertones, but something that has a story I can read cover to cover.
>>
>>8061016
and to add, it doesn't have to be science fiction or cyberpunk.
>>
File: 1459548343662.jpg (28 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1459548343662.jpg
28 KB, 640x480
>I want something easy to read that will make me appear to understand philosophy
>>
>>8061030
what should I read a story for?
>>
>>8061016
finnegans wake
>>
I'm about to finish Johnny Got His Gun. You might like that. It took a while for me to get into it, and I think you also might not exactly love the first chunk, but once the story starts to pick up, it quickly becomes something that it sounds like you would enjoy.
>>
Slaughterhouse-Five was a book I literally couldn't put down
>>
File: 1448092190778.jpg (298 KB, 1404x1024) Image search: [Google]
1448092190778.jpg
298 KB, 1404x1024
>>8061016
>I don't want any...philosophy books
>looking for a book with extremely philosophical undertones
>Akira, GITS

Those aren't philosophical, those are tropes. You're not going to "really enrich your point of view" by reading a single story, and especially some lame manga.

Something short, easy to read, enriching & pseudo-enlightening will be Calvino's "Invisible Cities". Good luck, kid.
>>
Helter Skelter
>>
>>8061102
so the only real way to feel enlightened is to read philosophy books? I was talking about the anime btw. Idk about you, but when I watch some shows, I look back on them with feelings of nostalgia. That's what happens when I think of those shows I mentioned, or shows like berserk. I think stuff like that stays with you, I think that can be a great experience. You probably aren't the sort of person who would enjoy music. That's what art is supposed to do, is make you feel something inside of you you didn't know was there, and it feels incredible. I've had that feeling so many times, I can't even begin to try to confirm it. If you've never experienced it, then you're missing one of the truly great experiences of human nature, which is to feel something indescribable.
>>
>>8061115
Just read the fuckin' book, kid - and say thank you.
>>
>>8061016
Thus Spoke Zarathustra
>>
>>8061102
Smart not shitting on lain, though.
And what IS that poc?
>>
>>8061133
Thank you for the recommendation.
>>
>>8061115
Jesus christ what the fuck is this post?
Are you honestly asking if someone has felt nostalgia before?
And that has nothing to do with anything, what does nostalgia and you liking a good story have to do with your search for something philosophical? Maybe you're misusing the word?
>>
>>8061163
Well, I don't think that philosophical and artistic and evoking feeling are two separate things. I think art can give you philosophical emotions. I've been searching for that, a feeling which seems to confirm your other feelings. Something beautiful and beyond the grasp of imagination. I don't really feel that I will find such a thing, but I'm sure that I've longed for something like this before in my life.
>>
>>8061016
100 Years Of Solitude
>>
>>8061167
>philosophical emotions
Bruh...
Basically what you want is a brainy story that would not make you a laughing stock in a place similar to /lit/.
Don Quioxte.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.