[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 169382_10a4.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
169382_10a4.gif
2 MB, 320x240
Can "to set upon" generally be used in a way similar to "to set out on"?

I'm finding a lot of hits for "set upon the task of..." or "set upon a journey" in particular, but can't grasp how these expressions took shape. Wonder if one's a deformation of the other?
Probably overthinking it?
>>
>>8059627
>Probably overthinking it?

Hmm you think
>>
It depends what your definition of 'is' is.
>>
>>8059634
I guess what I'd come to expect, when looking into it too much, would be a reflective/ "to set (oneself) upon". Was it perhaps originally so?
>>
Shakespeare used everything to mean anything and people have treated him like a god ever since.
>>
To set upon a journey means you're setting yourself on a journey. To set out on a journey means you're setting yourself outside for the journey ahead.

You're overthinking it. You typed it and stared at it too long. When this happens to me, I just restructure the thought completely into something I have full confidence in.
>>
All right
>>
Should books of poems and short stories be broken up or read like a novel?
>>
What are some good articles and essays on privacy?
>>
>>8060702
That is completely up to you, but they are broken up (in pages).
>>
who is this jism prism?
>>
Whats the book this board wanks to that's written by a mexican guy or something and the title is a number? like 1886 or some shit
>>
>>8061457
2666 by Roberto Bola~n~o
>>
>>8061457
6662 : OƱalob Otrebor
>>
>>8061457
1488 by Hitler Rodriguez
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.