[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I always thought Lovecraft was just a meme, but I just read At
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
I always thought Lovecraft was just a meme, but I just read At The Mountains of Madness and it was incredible. What do I read next?
>>
http://www.goodreads.com/author/list/9494.H_P_Lovecraft
>>
File: Send_him_victorious.jpg (1 MB, 1240x1500) Image search: [Google]
Send_him_victorious.jpg
1 MB, 1240x1500
>>8059253
That's a great cover.

If you're itching for me, can't go wrong with the man's inspirations; Arthur Machen and M.R.James are both great. The former has a relatively recent anthology by Penguin, and the latter has an omnibus from Oxford World's Classics.

Neither of the above authors have anywhere near the same kind of sci-fi leanings AtMoM does, but they were a huge influence on Lovecraft and GOAT-tier 2sp00ky in their own right. Lovecraft's essay "Supernatural Horror in Literature" is also a must-read, and a goldmine for other rec's.

Godspeed, OP.
>>
>>8061096

*itching for more
>>
>>8059253
The Shadow Over Innsmouth
>>
File: robert-w-chambers.jpg (207 KB, 1000x1208) Image search: [Google]
robert-w-chambers.jpg
207 KB, 1000x1208
started reading this nigger this week. so far so good. btw lovecraft is not a meme.
>>
File: 1458280925753.png (482 KB, 645x880) Image search: [Google]
1458280925753.png
482 KB, 645x880
>>8061096
Forgot to mention, both Machen and James are public domain.
Definitely worth looking into Algernon Blackwood as well (likewise public domain).
Recommended starting points incoming:
>Machen
"The Great God Pan" & "The White People"
>James
"Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad" & "Casting the Runes"
>Blackwood
"The Willows"
>>
This book was disappointing. It was the first book that I've read by Lovecraft and maybe because of the author's reputation my expectations were too high but I found it boring, too slow-paced and not really scary. IMO Lovecraft's narrative is kinda lazy: "it was a design imposible to describe by mortals" so of course, he didn't have to describe it.
>>
Stop reading Lovecraft and read Clark Ashton Smith. He's an objectively superior writer and actually creates vivid imagery and fantastical realms rather than alluding to them.
>>
lovecraft can be hit and miss but there are a few that are damn good, old bugs is one of my favorites
>>
>>8061134
The into to my version went over that and specifically mentioned that his style in this book was unique in that its almost written as a scientific report. I think the author of the intro mentioned specifically Lovecraft's Statement of Randolph Carter as a more fast past/traditional narrative style.

Also op, if you haven't read House of Leaves you should check it out. I read it before Lovecraft but looking back on it you can definitely see the influence
>>
>>8061220
Seconding this. CAS has a lush vocabulary, he never finds anything "impossible to describe", he is lofty, cosmic, yet deliciously pulpy. If there is such a thing as good, literary pulp, this is it. You'll see his plot twists from a mile off and you'll enjoy the thrills none the less. He's made me, an English language learner, put my dictionary to good use without making me feel annoyed in the slightest -- and I'm sure I won't get to use or even read again most of those words. All in all, a comfy (if that means anything), yet good read.
>>
>>8061220
What's that story where some guy is building this dissonant machine and it's just purely evil or some shit. Great story.
>>
Robert E Howard has got some pretty good spoopy horror. Its all pretty blatant and blunt and pulpy, but good nonetheless.
>>
>>8059253
Dude oh my god Colour Out of space is like my favorite shit. Like I never thought the cthulu shit could be THAT good.
>>
>>8059253
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, The Horror at Red Hook, The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath, The Thing at The Doorstep, The Shadow Out of Time, The Dreams at The Witch House, The Whisperer in TheDarkness and Herbert West-Reanimator.

now you have a lot to read.
>>
>>8061833
jesus christ thank you so much
>>
>>8061731
Kafa's The Penal Colony?
>>
>>8061679
That its written as a scientific report is one of the best things about it. Its what makes it so immersive and believable. Know any other books like this?
>>
>>8061130
X2 for the willows

Based sorry. P spoopy
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.