[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You know that house you pass when you get lost on a back road?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
You know that house you pass when you get lost on a back road?
Every back road in Pennsylvania has one.
The house the forest has been lazily trying to reclaim since the day it was built, tucked neatly between somewhere and nowhere?
You know the one I mean.
It’s just a house, of course. You tell yourself that it’s just a house, anyhow. You’re a rational person, and it’s just a regular house. There’s a suburb like a mile back, for Christ’s sake. You’re not exactly stranded. Just lost. It’s late, and you need to turn around.
The porch is a heap of deer skulls and axes and water-logged indoor furniture, and you try to slow your breathing. Plenty of people hunt. Plenty of people chop firewood. Plenty of people survive turning around in someone’s driveway, so why are you being such a baby? What are you afraid of?
And surely it’s a safer place to reset your GPS than the… Well, what must have been a farm, once… up the road. With its single, emaciated horse and its howling, feral cats and its tetanus-trap of vine-choked, scrap-ravaged cars.
Surely this is safer, you think.
And you’d be right, most nights.
I mean, there’s an even chance you’ll be pulling chunks of deer out of the grille of your car if you panic and drive away too fast, but that’s not the house’s fault. That’s just Pennsylvania for ya’.
Most nights, everything is perfectly fine, and you’ll laugh it off as sleep-deprived paranoia and arrive at your destination unscathed and unchanged.
But every so often… If the sky is clear and the air is crisp, and you listen very carefully, you’ll hear me…
I’m there, you know…
Perched on the roof, just outside of your view, just fuckin’ shreddin’ on this toy accordion I got on Craigslist for ten bucks. Just, like, reallllly goin’ at it like you would not believe, whispering, “Hell yeah,” every few measures.
I’m getting pretty good, actually.
>>
Yawn
>>
what is this a folk-punk song
>>
HOUSE should be in blue, but solid effort anyway.
>>
>>8058035
Explain
>>
quit addressing the reader. that's what authors call a POV error. it's also cliche-ridden. reeeeeee...
>>
/lit/ has no sense of humor.
>>
>>8058044
Should've Meandered through the modernist midwesterners instead of falling for the greeks meme. Alright kid, here's what I'll do. Some advise, I'll only say it once so listen up. Read a book see, a book by ol F W D. After you're done with the David, and that means all three short story collections, you can Fraternise with the Franzen. Corrections is a MUST. After that listen to some American Football. I'd suggest persevering through Poe and jamming into Joyce as well. Checking out Crane and Clark can't hurt ever. Finally you'll be ready... to read... House of Leaves, but only after you've Wiped your feet on the Walt beforehand.
>>
>>8058048

>'Call me Ishmael' is the most famous example of what us creative writing teachers call a POV error
>>
>>8058015
I kek'd.

Pretty good atmospherics for the first part. I like that it's just a sketch of an action, that you didn't try to wedge an actual plot but just let the scene play out.
>>
nice post OP, made me laugh
>>
>>8058015
Heh.
>>
>>8058015
the end was funny, but the rest is lacking.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.