[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going to disconnect my internet for one month. Feel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 1458927229920.jpg (543 KB, 1400x1002) Image search: [Google]
1458927229920.jpg
543 KB, 1400x1002
I'm going to disconnect my internet for one month. Feel like I waste my days and nights away on 4chan. By cutting out my primary source of procrastination I hope to get some reading and writing done. So I ask you, o my brothers and only friends, what book do you recommend I read during this time of reflection? Looking for 3 or 4 solid choices.

And if you've ever done something like this tell me what you thought of it/how it benefited you.
>>
>>8057447
I've been away from the internet before. It's awesome and you get so much more done.

Now I'm addicted again and feel like a piece of shit, but I'm weaning off of 4chan. Do it dude.
>>
The Myth of Sisyphus - Albert Camus
The Brothers Karamazov - Dostoyevsky
>>
>>8057451
Yeah I barely got on here at all last year and ended up reading 20000+ pages, then I got back into vidya in December and started coming around here again.
I've finished one book so far this year. I gotta get out of here.
>>
Some of my favourites which I think are especially good for quiet, introspective times:

My Ántonia - Cather
The Age of Innocence - Wharton
Smith of Wootton Major - Tolkien

If you want poetry:

Transformations - Sexton
>>
>>8057447
Hume's Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding. Great philosophy, great prose. Hume's a boss.
>>
>>8057447
Read Sartre's Nausea
Super Kalamazov Bros.
Aristotle's Nichomachean Ethics

It's a great exercise for getting yourself back to a normal level of stimulation in many ways and getting back in touch with reality. Your thoughts might race for a little while, but you might actually get a sense for when your thoughts do this and what causes it. I never realized how bad music can be for me until I did a similar exercise; I should probably do another one forsaking my smartphone.
>>
READ THE STICKY
>>
>>8057447
hey OP. Been thinking like this as well. I've been pondering about reading Stirner or something because I hear talk about him a lot on this board but I've yet to experience him. I s'pose in that vein, you should really read the books that you've been thinking about reading but haven't touched yet. Stirner is probably a good start, at least if you're like me and you've yet to read him.
>>
>>8057447
Did this for half a year. My biggest advice is try not to avoid all fun things. Don't let your idealism control your activities, give yourself a little time each day to play video games, take breaks to go for walks, don't force yourself to read and write all day or your mental state will deteriorate.
>>
>>8057535
Second for Nausea. A criminally underrated novel.
>>
>>8057491
Second for Cather.
The Way of a Serpent
Complete Lovecraft
Brief History of Seven Killings

I too hate the internet, and do not bring any electronic devices on vacation aside from my ereader.

Would strongly recommend
>>
>>8058139
Pretty much this.

For short periods of time, completely cutting things out is doable and shouldn't be much of a problem. Long term is where issues arise. Balance is the key to pretty much everything. What makes good balance is different for everyone though, so you can't necessarily follow someone else's example to the letter.

If you try to force yourself to one extreme for too long, it is very likely that you will crash and revert back to your old ways, if not worse.

>>8058360
>I too hate the internet, and do not bring any electronic devices on vacation aside from my ereader.

I wouldn't say I hate the internet, but I get what you mean about vacation. Having said that, I still usually bring a laptop with me for end of the night/hanging out at the hotel/wherever I'm staying time. Going on vacation and spending your whole time in your hotel on the internet is definitely a waste though.
>>
File: 7afa2-bertrand-russell-religion.jpg (131 KB, 720x648) Image search: [Google]
7afa2-bertrand-russell-religion.jpg
131 KB, 720x648
>>8057447
>Alamut (Vladimir Bartol)
>Why I Am Not A Christian (Bertrand Russell)
>Discipline and Punish (Michel Foucault)

You'll end this week seeing the world as it really is.
>>
>>8057447
You already know whats gucci my nigga
>Infinite Jest
>>
File: im out dudes, peace.jpg (85 KB, 500x666) Image search: [Google]
im out dudes, peace.jpg
85 KB, 500x666
OP here. Thanks all for your replies. Internet goes off tonight. See y'all soon!
>>
>>8058921
Non-Christians are mindless.

'the world is what i say it is'
>>
>>8057447

siddhartha

every sentence is a gift. I've read it in a day, and over the course of weeks. It basically made me realise the profundity of a lot of basic or mundane subconscious truths which I "knew" before having read the book. It's clearly written, but poetic and lyrical in all the right places, and if you don't like it then whatever, it's only short. I like to think of "this is water" by wallace while reading it.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.