[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you buy the book you're going to read? Like, say you've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
Do you buy the book you're going to read?

Like, say you've never read a book before but you want to. Do you heed the lofty praise from others (perhaps on /lit/) and impulse buy it? Surely, it can only benefit the frugal reader to absolutely never purchase books unless he or she has read it before and longs for a physical copy for the purpose of convenience for future rereads.

But there's something about building up a collection that's quite nice really. I have the fantasy that I'll grow a small library of my favorites and pass it on to my children, and run it down the generations until some dickhead pawns it off in a garage sale or something.

Basically, I want to know the process by which /lit/ consumes their literature. Give me a run-down.

For me, since I'm only reading classics so I just go out and buy them off of Amazon. Because I'm vain and I consider $10 for a paperback which can provide for countless hours of entertainment a rather prudent investment. I haven't bought a book that I've given up on because I research the styles of the books that I buy and I have some knowledge of whether it will be a good "fit" for my suspected narrow appreciation for literature.

Anyways, I'd love to hear from you guys.
>>
>>8057418
>pick book from goodreads want to read list
>dl an epub
>use calibre to convert and send to kindle
>read book
>>
>>8058158

nice, my thread finally got bumped at 4 AM
>>
>>8058158
FYI: I recently realized that the calibre epub->azw3 conversion is worlds better than the epub->mobi conversion, mostly because azw3 supports weirder features like colored/marked tables etc.
>>
File: 1453656317797.jpg (8 KB, 250x238) Image search: [Google]
1453656317797.jpg
8 KB, 250x238
>>8058176
yes I also realized that after a fucking year of using mobi
>>
>>8058168
To give you a more proper answer I am very strategic with the novels I read, with non-fiction they have a sense of projects and building (I may read book X in order to understand book Y I had read in preparation to read book Z later).
In fiction I gather up a selection of works I'm interested in reading and when it comes around to choosing one depends on the emotional state of life I'm in at that time.
Paying for books is a spook though
>>
>>8057418
It depends. Mostly I download and read the book, especially for fiction. There have been a few non fiction books that I could only find as a PDF, and those I just buy rather than dealing with the PDF conversion.

I do however buy books I love in a nice edition. And occasionally I'll buy a book for 2 dollars at goodwill just to look through it.
>>
File: 1459492960758.jpg (16 KB, 321x322) Image search: [Google]
1459492960758.jpg
16 KB, 321x322
So I guess Kindles are the key here

maybe I should buy one
>>
I buy /lit/ books so the cashiers recognize my superior taste in literature. I hand them over slowly and make sure they see the titles. Reading is boring af but I do like pretending to read in crowded places for more exposure
>>
>>8057418
I pretty much always buy a cheap copy online. Online reading is fine in general but I feel like I can maintain my terrible attention span better with a book. Plus I like to add to my shelf.

As for acquiring, I also find copies through garage sales and whatnot. There are endless amounts of really cheap prints of classics (ex. International Collectors' Library) around, so I now have a few decent editions of those just from chance.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.