[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you guys cope with the sensation of intellectual inadequacy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1457222450276.jpg (25 KB, 500x388) Image search: [Google]
1457222450276.jpg
25 KB, 500x388
How do you guys cope with the sensation of intellectual inadequacy that comes (to varying degrees and frequencies) with reading?

Started reading Life A User's Manual by Perec today and can't help but feel dumb and mentally inadequate.
>>
I get this feeling too. Bumpin.
>>
>>8057057
Some people were just meant to work in coal mines and do menial shit all day. Sucks to be you.
>>
No, because reading like that is the dumbest thing you can do. You don't put the pussy on a pedestal because you won't be able to put it in the pussy, not because it isn't worth the place on the shelf.
>>
>>8057057
I'm a legitimate genius so I rarely ever get this feeling
>>
>>8057175
>You don't put the pussy on a pedestal because you won't be able to put it in the pussy
>>
>>8057057
It's kind of an interesting concept really - it's all a balance of intelligence and insight/talent/relevance. I have a professionally-tested IQ of 160+ and, although it's not necessarily a struggle to understand, I do get the feeling of inadequacy from the artistic viewpoint. Personally, that's why I think Pynchon's writing is bad - because I feel like I would be able to write it; in my opinion, he lacks the nuances of the "great" writers, and that makes all the difference in the world.

If you feel mentally inadequate, then you really might be too "simple-minded" to understand complex literature, to say it in the least patronizing way possible. If, however, you understand the content but feel an inferiority in your skill when compared to theirs, then that is a perfectly fine feeling to have.
>>
>>8057198
Well I read House of Leaves for a class this past semester and spent a lot of time thinking about the complexities of the relationships, structure, etc.

Based on how I handled HoL, I wouldn't say that I'm simple-minded. I'd say that most simpled-minded people would have dropped after a few pages.

I guess my post came more from a place of low self-esteem, lack of motivation, and just being intimidated.
>>
>>8057175
Kek, this is actually correct

>>8057057
Allow yourself to be humbled and approach it from the position of someone who has much more to learn, because you always will, and that's part of the great thing about pursuing intellectual interests - you'll always be just around the corner from being completely out of your league and it can keep you fresh if you let it.
>>
>>8057057
I feel that inadequacy when reading people who are clearly generational geniuses. I'm very sharp, high IQ, great education, but I am not a genius at anything at the moment and I can't help but feel envy when reading the work of a truly unique mind.

I deal with it by cultivating my own interests and enjoying life. If I keep at it there's a chance that something I do will be significant enough to make someone else feel this way and inspire them. If that doesn't happen then I'll still have had a cool time.
>>
>bragging about iq
>on /lit/

do some of you really have nothing else going on?
>>
>>8059122
>getting butthurt every time IQ comes up
>on /lit/
You're the one who's off topic. Everybody's just describing their own particular feelings and trying to give a quick snapshot of themselves in a way that's relevant to the topic of intellectual inferiority complexes.
>>
How does reading a work of fiction make you feel inadequate? What about something that actually requires intelligence like math or physics?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.