[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3
File: 818108._UY200_.jpg (7 KB, 130x200) Image search: [Google]
818108._UY200_.jpg
7 KB, 130x200
What does /lit/ think?
>>
>>8056956
monogatari tier
>>
>>8056956
Pleb shit
>>
>>8056956
Didn't like it.
Didn't finish it.
Maybe you will. It's not long, just give it a shot.
Kafka on the Shore was good imo
>>
>>8056956
>What does /lit/ think?

that you should read it yourself and make up your own mind
>>
>>8056959
>>8056963
What didn't you like?
>>
>>8056956
the french Borges
>>
>>8056975
I read it and have made up my own mind. I'm interested to hear what other people think of it
>>
>>8056977
I afraid to like it because /lit/ might think I'm stupid
>>
>>8057023
/board
>>
>>8056988
So express your opinion and generate discussion instead of being a faglord
>>
>>8057097
bought this book on a whim because I enjoyed Kafka on the Shore and need a break from more intense lit after Ulysses (almost to Penelope), what did you think about it?

will I like it if I enjoyed Kafka?
>>
>>8057157
It's pretty different from Kafka on the Shore. I enjoyed Norwegian Wood more. Maybe just because I'm young and had been thinking about a lot about the themes before I was reading it. Murakami's style is similar, but I found NW easier and perhaps even more matter-of-fact in its delivery
>>
>>8057157
Kafka on the Shore is shit and you are a retard for liking it. Norwegian wood is better in my opinion, Murakami's magical realism is garbage, this being said you shouldn't read Murakami AT ALL it's a waste of time
>>
>>8057197
I'm aware that Murakami is hyped up YA fiction and that doesn't bother me. Reading like both a pseud and a pleb is more fun than either by itself.
>>
>>8057266
>>8057197
hard boiled wonderland is legitimately good fiction
>>
>>8057387
Is it?
I always pass it up at the bookstore because Murakami is so hit-or-miss for me but what I do like I like a lot
>>
>>8057387
'hard boiled wonderland' is his only good novel. It's still middlebrow, though.
>>
>>8057408
that shit is just a quirky neuromancer.
>>
>>8057387
i wonder if it inspired haibane renmei
>>
>>8057266
>I'm aware that Murakami is hyped up YA fiction
wut
>>
>>8056956
Isn't it good?
>>
It was the first book I read in Japanese, and I don't remember a damn thing about it tbqh.
>>
>>8056956
This man, in my country he is nothing.
>>
File: murakami.jpg (308 KB, 1600x600) Image search: [Google]
murakami.jpg
308 KB, 1600x600
>>8056956
>>
It's ok, I liked Kafka on the shore more but it's enjoyable. This board doesn't like becouse it's popular but only idiots read just meme books. Norwegian Wood is missing his magical realism but it's a decent coming of age story.
>>
File: 1462311064638.png (265 KB, 428x1005) Image search: [Google]
1462311064638.png
265 KB, 428x1005
>>8057493
> but only idiots read just meme books
>proceed to read a normie meme book
>>
I read it and preferred it to Kafka on the Shore.
I'm also really smart and very knowledgable about books so you should trust me.
>>
>japanese "literature"
it's trash
>>
>>8056956
The only book of Murakami I've ever read. Boring as fuck. I'd only save the lesbic scene of the piano teacher and the horny little girl.
>>
ONE SET OF LEGS IS FACING BEHIND BECAUSE HE IS DEAD BUT HIS SHADOW STILL GOES ON IN THE DIRECTION OF THE OTHER TWO WHO ARE LIVING AND WHO LIVE ALONGSIDE HIS SHADOW
>>
>>8056956
I find it pretty comfy
>>
>>8057489
Pretty accurate tbqh
>>
I've read it and Kafka. Like both. Norwegian Wood might've been better, hard to say since there was a lot of time in between.

If you've never read Murakami, you should know that his style is very matter-of-fact. Part of me wants to say dry, even, but that's not quite right. I found it refreshing, some people find it boring.
>>
Felt like a first draft of Wind-up Bird Chronicle except without the parts that made Wind-up great, namely the astral projection/dream sequences and the Manchukuo flashback.
>>
>>8059791
yeah wubc is his best
>>
I liked it, nothing mindblowing though.
>>
>>8056956
I read 1Q84 - liked the journey but fuck that ending
tried Norwegian wood - didn't finish, shit is still on my shelf
Murakami is utterly hollow, a dry husk of a writer
>>
I would say all in all it is not an incredible book, but has large potential to be very touching at the same time
>>
>>8057499
>reading comprehension
>>
One thing that really bothered me about this book is Toru's friend who committed suicide. He only appears in a memory for about five pages before we learn he dies, but that's supposed to be enough to be the impetus for the rest of the book. Murakami essentially *tells* us this is a monumental event for Toru and Naoko instead of *showing* it. One way I suppose you could explain it is that Toru is highly disaffected and this was his only real friend so of course it would effect him so, but it still feels cheap, especially since this is all leads up to the climax of Naoko's suicide.

Like other posters have mentioned, I enjoyed some of the off shoot plot lines, like the guitar player getting blackmailed by the little girl. But the main story didn't carry enough emotional weight for me to feel really invested.
>>
It's very average lit for past the time that's it's.
>>
>>8061473
what?
>>
>>8057448
t. a young adult
>>
>>8061480
he means "it's very average lit that is good for passing the time, but that comprises all its value"
>>
Pretty comfy.
I dont know why toru didnt sleep with hatsumi.
Makes me yearn for a kind of adolescence i never had
>>
>>8063279
>Makes me yearn for a kind of adolescence i never had
Made reading NW an incredibly painful experience
>>
pretty shitty book desu. it's a pretty fun read at most but it doesn't stay with you for long and offers no insight of any sort, it's like animu in a book form
>>
>>8064477
or basically what this guy said:
>>8058354
>>
>>8057499
>just
>>
>>8057266
In Japan, Murakami is right on the edge. He has undoubtedly read and been influenced by the first and second waves of Japanese modern classics (notably Dazai and Abe) but his work obviously falls under YA.

In my opinion he's akin to a great musician in a horrible genre.
>>
I have no idea how he comes across in English, but Murakami's Japanese prose is boring and very effeminate.
>>
>>8064633

some of his works are kind of ya, but others don't fall into that category since they are not coming of age stories, have an adult main hero and don't have reminiscents of his past as a young adult

how is something like wind-up bird's chronicles ya after all?
>>
>>8064649
>Murakami's Japanese prose is boring and very effeminate
the main hero uses atashi? :3
>>
>>8056956
I'm about thirty or so pages from finishing it and I like it so far, but I'm not sure how it's going to end. There was a surprising paragraph about Hatsumi that really shocked me and stood out pretty far. Reminds me of A Pale View of Hills but is easier to read.
>>
I think murakami is literally the only japanese author plebs read en masse so he's rightfully to be avoided in exchange for trying out some of the other japanese authors.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.