[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
do you prefer ebooks or physical books? are ereaders the future
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: ebook.jpg (49 KB, 960x618) Image search: [Google]
ebook.jpg
49 KB, 960x618
do you prefer ebooks or physical books? are ereaders the future of literature or are they just a meme? ebook prices are generally terrible (usually only a dollar or two price difference between the physical and digital version) and it feels scummy pirating everything i read.
>>
File: 1451676557776.png (9 KB, 233x216) Image search: [Google]
1451676557776.png
9 KB, 233x216
>it feels scummy pirating everything i read.

Hoh boi, you done been spooked
>>
File: untitled1.jpg (56 KB, 554x354) Image search: [Google]
untitled1.jpg
56 KB, 554x354
you have access to almost all the good literature ever written for the mere cost of a kindle. that is something very few people in the history of mankind have had. and you are throwing it away because of capitalism.
>>
File: Untitled.png (58 KB, 1099x843) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
58 KB, 1099x843
>>8056399
I would prefer the physical book, but dealing with 3 week shipping for thrift books, my tiny New Hampshire library network where I have to wait 2 weeks to get an NYRB release from Dartmouth library, or paying top dollar for amazon books is fucking annoying; id rather just use btdigg or libgen and building a calibre library is fun for me.

>>8056419
This, when the govt considers piracy a "new sin" I chuckle. Thou shalt not make copies of freely available media my ass.
>>
File: image.jpg (775 KB, 2340x2369) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
775 KB, 2340x2369
What sub-100$ ebook should I get? I want to read a bunch in college next year, but I can't really lug my entire library.

I think I want the pseudo-ink display type, with removable storage. Would a refurbished kindle do me well?

I'm totally new to this sort of stuff
>>
>>8056739
Get a Kindle Paperwhite. You can get a refurbished one for $93 on Amazon right now but at certain times a year you are able to get a brand new one for $90. http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Refurbished-Paperwhite-E-reader-High-Resolution/dp/B00QJEL42Y/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1463627141&sr=8-6&keywords=kindle+paperwhite

IDK what you mean by removable storage. You mean like storage space? Because 2 gigs will hold plenty of books considering that a 1000 page book is roughly 1 megabyte.
>>
>>8057086
Silly me thinking books were large files

Too used to vidya I guess

Thanks for the suggestion. I assume I can load books on it outside of the official store?
>>
>>8057102
Yeah, that's what I do. I download the book I want from http://gen.lib.rus.ec/ in epub format and edit the metadata (artwork etc.) in Calibre, then transfer it to my Kindle. In the rare occasion I do buy something from the Kindle store, I strip its DRM with Calibre.
>>
>>8057281
Anon do you like reading with it in the dark though?
>>
>>8056399
>it feels scummy pirating everything i read
It feels fucking amazing to pirate everything I read though.
I actually enjoy reading a paper book more than using an e-reader but the ability to have a book for free combined with the convenience of not having to carry a giant book on my walk means I use my old-ass pocket-sized kindle most of the time.

>>8056739
Get any kindle. If you want a light, get a paperwhite. If you want buttons get the high-end $300 ones.
I'm still using a forth-gen regular kindle that I've had in airplane-mode since I took it out of the box three four years ago. I had an older one before that but sat on it and broke it while waiting in line to buy tickets for the Dark Knight Returns. My new one seems to be sit-proof so far, as I accidentally sit on it about once a week.
>>
>>8057356
Not that anon but I use my kindle to fall asleep intentionally when I'm not all that tired. I turn the lights off and turn the backlit screen down a bit, and that combo helps tell my brain it's sleepy time. Works in under a minute. No idea why.

But reading in the dark is comfy af.
>>
Are these Kindles sold in European stores not through Amazon "unlocked" or ad-free? I seem to remember there were version that had shitty ads in the past.

The description for it is
eBook Reader Kindle Glare Free, 4GB, Wi-Fi
>>
I've always wanted to buy a kindle and get more into reading since it's so much more convenient than going to the library. But I'm afraid I'll end up reading half a book and then never pick it up again.
>>
Digital market is a cancer
>>
>>8057813
Idk but if you do get ads, there's a way to remove them for free. You just go into the Kindle's files and delete a certain thing and disconnect from Wifi, Lifehacker has a guide on it.
>>
is the paperwhite that much better than the regular screen? the price for it is double where I live
>>
>>8057836
No the touch and the one that you use the side buttons on (I think its the 2?) are great products. Paperwhite is just top of the line and cheap for Americans and Britbongers and Canadians
>>
>>8057383

You seem to have a sitting problem.
>>
>have a Kobo Touch for two years
>no complaints, does what it's supposed to do with no frills
>get a Kobo Aura H20 for my girlfriend
>she breaks it after a week
>liked it so much she buys a new one right away

>Kobo Customer Service sucked ass and was of no help whatsoever

Although I think Kobo is the better product in and of itself, I think my next ereader is going to be a Paperwhite, if only because Amazon has a better infrastructure (market, assistance etc)
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.