[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does this board still pretend to hate Judith Butler even without
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: image.exe.jpg (171 KB, 965x466) Image search: [Google]
image.exe.jpg
171 KB, 965x466
Does this board still pretend to hate Judith Butler even without having read her work?
>>
Butler is a genius, but I'm formally educated in critical theory so I'm probably an outlier here.
>>
>>8055703
I love her. I thought tumblr pretended to read her and love her but in reality probably really hate her for giving a voice to cis scum
>>
>>8055703
try again without the inflammatory generalizations and b8, faggot
>>
>>8055703
my god
>>
>>8055703
What works of hers should I read? And what preparation is necessary for making sense of them?

Also would help to know what I'd get from reading them if you want to explain.
>>
>>8055767

Gender Trouble is great and about as readable as Butler gets, but if you want something that'll really challenge you intellectually and emotionally, pick up Bodies That Matter.
>>
>>8055703
>The classical association of femininity with materiality can be traced to a set of etymologies which link matter with mater and matrix (or the womb) and, hence, with a problematic of reproduction. The classical configuration of matter as a site of generation or origination becomes especially significant when the account of what an object is and means requires recourse to its originating principle. When not explicitly associated with reproduction, matter is generalized as a principle of origination and causality. In Greek, hyle is the wood or timber out of which various cultural constructions are made, but also a principle of origin, development, and teleology which is at once causal and explanatory. This link between matter, origin, and significance suggests the indissolubility of classical Greek notions of materiality and signification. That which matters about an object is its matter.
I mean, what's not to like?
>>
>>8055807
>That which matters about an object is its matter.

10/10 I fucking love Butler
>>
>>8055703
literally who
>>
>>8055827

>misogynistic GG memes

how fitting
>>
I hate her because she's a feminist.
>>
>>8055864
1/10
ony newfags will reply
>>
>>8055884
Uh yeah saying you hate feminism on 4chan is definitely trolling. Retard.
>>
>>8055807
I don't like it
>>
>>8055703
that isn't even her lol
>>
>>8055718
ho ho ho
>>
Just as much of a worthless charlatan as her good friend Slavoj Zizek.
>>
>>8055939
>no dick
>no tits while being chubby
What was this artist thinking?
>>
>>8055934
I like the one where Zizek talks about how he accidentally insulted her once without realising and apologised and she said it was all okay it didn't even bother her. I think they're like besties.
>>
>>8055954
Judith x Slavoj fanfiction where they only hold hands and Slavoj doesn't understand why Judith blushes and looks away sometimes because he's such a dummy?
>>
>>8055968

I'd ship it but Butler would chastise me for projecting normative relationship models.
>>
>>8056138
You don't get it. It's their origin story. Slavoj is a simple Slovenian farmer boy living near a classy camping where Judith's parents took her for the summer holidays. The first time they meet both are eleven. Judith comes from a well-off family. Her father ironically decided that they should go camping to Slovenia. Being an academician he's putting a good amount of intellectual pressure on Judith. Slavoj's parents can barely read but he likes books and plays chess with his grandfather.

Judith and Slavoj meet on the banks of a river in the beginning of the summer and they become inseparable. It's first love, but they don't know it. Judith teases Slavoj about his lisp and teaches him to blow his nose properly. Slavoj shows her the life around the farm.

Judith's parents do not want her to play with the dirty Slovenian boy, because he is a countryman pleb who is not a good influence on their daughter. In her anger she blames Slavoj himself, for walking away silently with his head hung low when her father came to separate them. Blindly, she begins to think on gender roles and drafts her first ideas and theories on sociological issues. Her mother, a disinterested femme du monde, is enthusiasmed by this sudden interest and makes her read influent feminist thinkers and general philosophy. Judith shuts out the memory of the disheveled boy who told her jokes of his country in a thick lispy accent, and concentrates on her brilliant academical career, to her parent's joy.

Meanwhile, Slavoj has grown. He spends a lot of time reading in his room and going on long walks to talk to people seemingly out of the blue. His father, happy to see his son making his way into the world, has agreed that Slavoj shouldn't have to help around the farm anymore to concentrate on his son's "studying". Slavoj misses Judith. He studies for himself and for his father, who buys books at random, books he cannot afford for his son because in his Slovenian farmer's tranquil worldview one book is different from another only in shape and size. Whatever book the Father gives Slavoj, in the morning the growing boy is found fallen asleep with his hands around it and the light still on.

Slavoj is going to the university, and so is Judith. They are eighteen. Judith had found ideas through Slavoj and Slavoj hopes to find Judith again through ideas.

Now they are twenty two. They're giving a speech before a group of students, and the students clap and cheer.

Twenty five. They argue and discuss late into the night with one of their old teachers, both old men looking very much like the other. Both marvel at their young student's capacities.

Thirty. They're writing a book. Judith is slowing down, while Slavoj looks faster and faster for something he has forgotten.

At fourty both of them know each other by reputation. They don't know how to meet. It's been so long. They're thinking of ways to talk to each other. They don't have the guts.
>>
File: 1379031993138.jpg (18 KB, 200x147) Image search: [Google]
1379031993138.jpg
18 KB, 200x147
>>8056277

Anon. . .
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.