[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
'Critically assess the concept of ‘interpellation’,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: althusser.jpg (18 KB, 267x377) Image search: [Google]
althusser.jpg
18 KB, 267x377
'Critically assess the concept of ‘interpellation’, and its role with Althusser’s account of ideology'

does anyone know any good sources for criticisms of the theory of interpellation, im about half way through an essay on it and other than zizek i literally cant find anyone who even mentions it.

also ive read a tonne of Baidou and concluded that he's an asshat with no idea what he's saying and nothing relevant to althusser, despite trying to seem so.

also a brief summary of Lacanian theory would be nice, people keep name dropping it and the Wikipedia page isn't very helpful

and also Spinoza

tl;dr: writing and essay plz halp
>>
>>8055660

>also a brief summary of Lacanian theory would be nice, people keep name dropping it and the Wikipedia page isn't very helpful
http://web.uvic.ca/~saross/lacan.html
>>
>>8055660
>also a brief summary of Lacanian theory

You want to fuck your mother and kill your father... Topologically speaking.
>>
Idk any good sources off the top of my head (maybe start with Foucault and go from there) but it took me a long time to figure out how to articulate what interpellation means. Basically in my understanding, interpellation is how the Self interprets and responds to the act of subjectification. If you're walking down the street and hear a cop yelling "stop, police!" you can interpellate yourself to be a bystander (the cop isn't talking to you) or a criminal/suspect (the cop is talking to you). It's usually reflexive/unconscious (if you shot someone, you probably don't need to think about whether or not the cop is talking to you) in relation to hegemonic power structures (you're conditioned to respond to the officer's authority) but you can consciously shift your understanding of yourself in response to being subjectified, which both precipitates and is in and of itself a form of resistance.

Does that help/make sense?
>>
>>8055660
> taking Louis "Strangles" Althusser seriously

top kek that's when you know you need to drop the Marxism
>>
>>8055719

Althusser had good ideas but he didn't really expound on or examine the reflexivity between ideology and subjectivity. Butler does a good analysis of this.
>>
>>8055676
many thanks, this is still pretty damn hard to read but a quater of the way through i still feel like i know what the words im reading mean which is an improvement

>>8055704
yeah, i mostly understand interpellation and ideology and jazz, what im looking for are criticisms of the theory, of which i ahve only been able to find zizeks 'belief before belief' one (basically through interpellation you become a subject, but why would you turn around to the police officer if you didnt already believe yourself a subject)
>>
>>8055734
>Butler
who the fuck is butler and where can i find his work?
>>
>>8055719
That desu
Read Pierre Boutang instead.
Also his son made a biography of Althusser so you can read it too
>>
>>8055660
I critically assessed the concept of your mom's ass, nawhaimsayin?
>>
>>8055734
You know Marxism is a dead-end when you're using Judith Butler to fill-in the gaps in Althusser.
>>
>>8055744

Judith Butler is a contemporary feminist/poststructuralist theorist.

>>8055740

I'd argue that the process of interpellation is continuous rather than discrete. If you came from a society where it was for whatever reason okay to shoot people and came to America literally not understanding it was illegal, you might not even turn around. Hailing is an active/discrete form of subjectification though so in moments of hailing you might reconsider your subjectivity.

You're probably further than me in your studies though so I don't think I'm saying anything you haven't already considered.
>>
>>8055762
>Hailing is an active/discrete form of subjectification though so in moments of hailing you might reconsider your subjectivity.
this is actual gold thank you

>>8055758
asshat, if you dont have anything to actually contribute please dont post
>>
>>8055811

Thanks! I'm just spitballing here so don't quote me on anything.
>>
>>8055829
the essay is bullshit anyway, im just trying to get as many original sounding arguments into to it as i can
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.