[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why is breaking out into song such a staple of modernist and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1-drinking-song.jpg (124 KB, 500x449) Image search: [Google]
1-drinking-song.jpg
124 KB, 500x449
why is breaking out into song such a staple of modernist and postmodenrist literature

it seems forced to me honestly, like everyone in fitzgerald's time was just copying joyce (i can believe joyce did it because drunk irishmen sing alot) and then the guys like barth and pynchon were mimicking them in some self consciously 'literary' choice
>>
>>8055315
Because singing is fun
>>
You never break out into a song with friends?
>>
I used to hang with these friends that would break into song at random.
It was fucking terrible it was like being on the goddamn Disney channel
>>
>>8055320
with the exception of the rare singing along to something on the radio, no. you do? what do you even sing?
>>
File: 24713586957234.jpg (184 KB, 972x1222) Image search: [Google]
24713586957234.jpg
184 KB, 972x1222
>they start singing wizard of oz in Hyperion
>>
>>8055350
Keats was ahead of his time.
>>
That's what I hate about Gravity's Rainbow.
>>
>>8055400
Of all the book's provocations, experimentations, and amateurish blunders that's what you hate? That the characters sing sometimes?
>>
>>8055401
The others stuff was engaging, the singing just made me feel uncomfortable.
>>
>>8055315
You have no idea what you're talking about. Joyce used music because he was originally a singer before he was a writer.

Pinecone was in the Navy for a few years and one of the running themes in all of his books is an appreciation for seafaring traditions and culture, which involves sea shanties.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.