[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>at bookstore >want to buy 1984 >see everyman edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: 9780679417392.jpg (22 KB, 250x400) Image search: [Google]
9780679417392.jpg
22 KB, 250x400
>at bookstore
>want to buy 1984
>see everyman edition and pick up that
>mom says why don't I buy the cheaper versions
>try to tell her those are cheap paperbacks which will fall apart in a couple readings
>try to tell her that Everyman hardcover editions are the most aesthetically beautiful books out there and will last me a lifetime
>she starts acting shitty and making a scene saying she won't pay that much for a book
>tfw she makes me buy a cheap paperback version

Why are plebs this clueless about books? They'll spend two hours shoping for clothes not letting me wait in the car, but for books it's just "get the cheapest one and let's go lol".
>>
>>8055159
>mom
>>
>>8055159
This is good bait. The elitism, the implications of mentioning your mom, the 1984, it's all there.

7/10
>>
eh 6/10, relies too much on predictable cliche
>>
>>8055235

Still clearly identified in the second response - theoretically yes, the bait is good, but not quite subtle enough.
>>
>>8055235
I think it's better if we change mom to gf
>>
>>8055262

But then it would have believability issues.
>>
>>8055265
It's already immediately unbelievable at "mom". Memes aside, it's better bait with gf in place of mom.
>>
>>8055262
This is how I imaine /lit/ writing workshop.

>no, mention how he is uneducated in the first sentence, and then only on the second paragraph do you put in the bit about the american education system. It's more gradual.

>to get the most responses, your post must seem genuine. Always ask yourself: can I imagine someone writing that?

>Think whole sentences, then translate them into greentext. Don't rely too much on greentext. Keep it short so the reader can imagine things you said.
>>
>>8055265
It should be what he asks for for his birthday, then ends up getting a penguin when he asked for an everyman
>>
>>8055235
everything is there
>>
8/10 quality chuckle
>>
Everyman's Library isn't that much more expensive is it?
>>
>>8055280
Now this is a good suggestion. Excellent work.
>>
File: page28orwell_2320776a.jpg (30 KB, 546x342) Image search: [Google]
page28orwell_2320776a.jpg
30 KB, 546x342
>>8055280
something like this:

>be me
>it's my birthday
>want to get 1984 everyman edition
>told my mom to pick it up at the local bookstore
>mom says why don't I want the cheaper versions
>try to tell her those are cheap paperbacks which will fall apart in a couple readings
>try to tell her that Everyman hardcover editions are the most aesthetically beautiful books out there and will last me a lifetime
>she starts acting shitty and making a scene saying she won't pay that much for a book
>tfw she gives me a cheap paperback penguin version for my birthday

who also hate their pleb mother?
>>
>>8055506
It needs to be in public with the implication that there was a 'scene' made. The waiting in the car thing was good too
>>
>>8055280
More like Wordsworth classics
>>
>>8055159
how about buying your own fucking shit?
>>
>>8055523
Relax, this is a pasta cooking thread.
>>
>>8055159
brave new world is a lot more intelligent in my opinion

it's a far more realistic prediction of the future
>>
>be me
>it's my birthday
>tell my mom to get me 1984, stressing that I want the everyman edition.
>tell her that Everyman hardcover editions are the most aesthetically beautiful books out there and will last me a lifetime
>tfw she gives me a cheap paperback wordsworth version for my birthday.
>tfw have to ream her out for being a pleb at my birthday party
>mfw my grandma tells me in a meek voice to be grateful to my mom

God it's hard living with a pleb family!
>>
>>8056063
I like the addition of the grandmother, but that's about it. I don't think changing penguin to wordsworth is as impactful for some reason.
>>
>>8055159

bruh u ain't even gonna read it once lmao
>>
>birthday coming up soon
>mom asks me what I want
>tell her the Everyman edition of 1984 by George Herman Orwell
>she says it sounds expensive and asks why I don't want a cheaper one
>Everyman hardcover editions are the most aesthetically beautiful books out there and will last me a lifetime
>tell her cheap paperbacks will fall apart in a couple readings
>She says she will do what she can
>birthday comes
>A lovely book shaped package sits beside my ice cream cake adorned with a birthday card
>'to my beloved son', is handwritten on it
>toss aside the card and rip open the packaging that holds my new favorite book
>it's a fucking penguin edition 1984
>open the book, making sure to crack the spine, and shove into the ice cream cake
>tell my mom this is the worst birthday I've ever had and that she has no taste, that's why we live in such an ugly house
>mom looks a little shocked, eyes are wet
>my grandma tells me in a meek voice to be grateful to my mom
Anyone else have experience dealing with pleb family members?
>>
>at bookstore
>author there for book signing
>75 lb compound bow in duffel bag
>1.5-3.0 second load, draw, and aim time
>30-50 in compact store with small singular entry/exit
>have several pipe bombs that can be ignited simultaneously and thrown into the crowd, which will detonate before they are noticed and fled from
>have large machete under duster in case someone tries to be a hero
>large time bomb set for emergency response outside
>mom forgot to make me chicken tendies
Why the fuck can plebs not do their fucking jobs? I just want some chicken mom I don't feel like I'm asking for much. Seriously what a bitch she can suck it. Fucking parents NEVER get me.
>>
>>8055265
>tfw
>>
>>8055159
>he can't just pay for it himself
you need to be 18 to post here
>>
>>8056063
exclamation points are a dead giveaway. Obvious bait.
>>
/lit/ has to be the only place where you can actually see the creative process of pasta.

I am actually impressed by all your collaborations, suggestions and corrections over OP's green text.
>>
>>8056063
Not convincing in general, but
>God!
stands out as the biggest giveaway
3/10

>>8056169
Too many details (>'to my beloved son'), too objectively written. I'm reminding you, you are writing from the perspective of a shallow, ungrateful and unempathetic little shit.
4/10

Tbh, the op version is still the best
>>
We should do a greentexting workshop sometime
>>
>>8056324
>>'to my beloved son'
It's not too many details. That's exactly the point that he's an ungrateful little shit and unaware of how much his mother cares about him, even though they're poor. Not my fault you can't read a pasta correctly.
>>
>>8056366
I'm glad /lit/ is actually writing something worthwhile for once. keep cranking out the pastas. Grazie.
>>
>>8056366
And why would the ungrateful little shit even notice or care enough to write out EXACTLY what it said on the card.
Dead giveaway
>>
>>8055159
All the professors I know have ancient paperbacks held together by sticky notes and semen. Buying expensive hardcovers of a book you won't read nearly as much as they read their material is just fedora.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.