[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, /lit. I want to ask you about ZZ Packer. Well, not really.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: DCE.jpg (23 KB, 257x400) Image search: [Google]
DCE.jpg
23 KB, 257x400
Hello, /lit. I want to ask you about ZZ Packer. Well, not really. I want to ask you to point me to authors similar to her, or to works similar to hers.
I am a student of English (translation in particular), and I want to write my MA on translating the widely understood "Black English", and I may pick a book and translate it, and write about the process and the challenges. Problem is, I don't want to go to the obvious - Toni Morrison, Their Eyes Were Watching God, The Invisible Man, etc. I want to translate something relatively contemporary. I did a bunch of research, and came up with ZZ Packer. She seemed perfect -- a collection of stories, contemporary, includes a variation of English, didn't revolve about super dramatic events like sexual abuse or rape (which is quite common from what I've seen).
Problem is, she's already been translated. Digging through the goodreads lists is tedious, and I thought you could help me out.
Right now I am seeing if Krik? Krak! will do the job.
inb4 >ethnicity lit is trash
I just don't want to end up doing Sister Souljah or 50 cent or something
>>
>Has anyone on /lit/ read this?

no
>>
Here are your options:

a) Wardine
b) Cry
>>
>>8055134
what a trio of dross for endorsements.
>>
>>8055134
i read her story about the girl who goes to harvard and was impressively unimpressed

try pimp: the story of my life by iceberg slim
>>
File: blissfall.jpg (44 KB, 338x374) Image search: [Google]
blissfall.jpg
44 KB, 338x374
>>8055134
ZZ Packer is really bad my dude, you don't want anything that's anything like her.

>Krik? Krak!
who's that by, let's look it up
>Edwidge Danticat

almost positive that exact name was in the pynchon character name generator thread holy shit edwidge fucking danticat
>>
>>8057933
I've read it, because of /lit/ thread no less. Was impressed, but I thought I need something more recent. Perhaps I'll use the Pimp.
>>8055839
Hmm... Too long to bother, I think.
>>8057944
lol, didn't think about her nam in that way, it does sound hilarious
>>
>>8058019
I just took a look on the Pimp. It's a fine piece, and it's rich with pimp nomenclature, but its main body is written in pretty standard English. I am looking for something more distorted - graphically. Think Colour Purple
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.