[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think of Will Self? Fraud or talented?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: will_self_600.jpg (46 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
will_self_600.jpg
46 KB, 600x338
What does /lit/ think of Will Self? Fraud or talented?
>>
>>8054521
I heard The Umbrella was pretty decent.
>>
>>8054521
I have no clue about his fiction but his political personality is insufferable and I say that as a Leftist, I wouldn't call him a fraud for it though
>>
File: 1450066392139.jpg (200 KB, 400x534) Image search: [Google]
1450066392139.jpg
200 KB, 400x534
He's literally everything wrong with the world.
>>
>>8054521
Book of Dave was enjoyable. Not nearly as hard as i expected him to be, based on reviews of his style.
>>
>>8054589

Excellent meme. Saved.
>>
>>8054521
His writing is horrible but I enjoy his sneering about politics on TV and in the papers.
>>
>>8055182
Now try reading Umbrella.
>>
I don't really know much about him other than he acted like an asshole to Karl Pilkington.
>>
>>8055501
same
>>
>>8054537
>>8055197
>>8055501
I think he's a lovable asshole honestly
>>
he always seemed like a huge douche to me, but then i saw this video of him playing with toys and it charmed me into ordering one of his books

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmiOOGtJ8rQ
>>
>>8054521
more like kill self
>>
>>8055797
That's his most important work, IMO, and what he'll be remembered for.
>>
>>8055495
Does it suddenly get harder?

I went in seeing the size of BoD and expected, from his reputation, verbose purple prose. I was mildly surprised to find it an easy fucking read. Pretty inventive and i enjoyed the concept - even if the ending was pretty weak.
>>
I've never made it past the first 10 pages of Umbrella and I've tried a few times for some misguided reason or another.

I get the feeling he knows he's writing tedious shit and tries to make up for it by putting on this persona of some intellectual malcontent that must surely be writing interesting literature.

What really grates me about him is the way he's tried to imply he's this cool bohemian junkie that lived on the streets and hates literary fiction. But he's actually just another Oxford cunt who writes bloated literary fiction for the braindead middle class.
>>
>>8055809
no self will
>>
I liked his story about trying to walk from JFK airport into Manhattan. Was a good insight into urban decay.
>>
I watched a documentary about Nietzsche in which Self featured. He was awful.
>>
>>8056297
Which one is that?
>>
There's an article Will Self wrote for the BBC website in which he argued George Orwell's essay on writing in plain english -- use the active and not the passive, never use a fancier word than necessary, etc -- presupposed an ideological framework of colonialism and racism, and therefore, George Orwell was a bit of a twat. It seems to me like reductionism to fit a narrative, and frankly, Will Self seems like a profiteering pundit whose opinions are conjured on the spot to specification on things he's uninformed about -- which makes him a twat.

Here's the article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28971276

His other articles online that I've read are similarly stupid. A lot of English figures ruin themselves by exposing their stupidity in articles written for British publication. For instance, Armando Iannucci and Stewart Lee.
>>
>>8056297
>trying to walk from JFK airport into Manhattan
Sounds like a fucking nightmare.
>>
Second that Book of Dave is half decent, not amazing but an an ejoyable read and weird read.

Umbrella is I think my favourite of his books although I've not read all of them (thought The Butt) was uninspiring.

As another anon mentioned his writing on psychogeography is quite interesting as well (the walking to and from airports etc).

But yeah, Umbrella is definitely worth a read if you like confusing fractured narrative type stuff.
>>
>>8057967

Don't know what happened with the grammar, repetition etc in that post, it's all over the shop. Sorry lads.
>>
>>8057791
Sounds to me like it's just an argument against prescriptive rules for writing. DOn't see anything about colonialism and racism.
>>
>>8057971
Just call it a fractured narrative.
>>
Why are today's Euro authors so damn ugly? Between this guy and the French edgelord...
>>
File: Karl_Ove_Knausgård.jpg (2 MB, 2084x2848) Image search: [Google]
Karl_Ove_Knausgård.jpg
2 MB, 2084x2848
>>8058563
Knausgaard's pretty gorgeous, IMO
>>
>>8058563
so two authors?
>>
>>8058685
apart from the hair he's unremarkable
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.