[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In Hesiod's "Theogony", what is it mean by "night
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (250 KB, 800x1067) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
250 KB, 800x1067
In Hesiod's "Theogony", what is it mean by "night is poured in three rows around the neck", referring Tartaros?
>>
>>8053652
>referring Tartaros?

I mean "referring to Tartaros?"
>>
hello?
>>
best translation?
>>
>>8053793
What do you mean with that question?

Did you even read the Original Post?
>>
>>8053652
Garland translation seems to say:
"night is poured around it in three rows like a collar round the neck, while above it grow the roots of the earth and of the unharvested sea." Does that help?
>>
>>8053827

It's virtually the same wording as the one that I quoted. I don't know how you expect quoting the entire sentence would help me elucidate the meaning of the expression. From where the fuck do you think I grabbed the quotation? From "Theogony", you know, the text that I had to read to know about the phrase? Of course I know how the entire sentence goes; I just quoted the relevant part.

I asked for the meaning of the phrase, not for alternative wordings, nor for the rest of the sentence.
>>
>>8053810
I didn't really give a shit about OP's post desu senpai
>>
>>8053864
>Replies to a post despite "not giving a shit about it".

Why are you even here, retard?
>>
>>8053854
You, I like you.
>>
I hope you never get to elucidate it
>>
File: torus coil.jpg (80 KB, 720x672) Image search: [Google]
torus coil.jpg
80 KB, 720x672
Ok.

What we know:

- Tartarus is below Earth, and below Ocean, at distance as long as Earth is from Sky.

- It is a dark place.

- It is surrounded by a "brazen wall" on the sides, and by "brazen gates" above.

- Earth, Ocean, and Sky, have their in there.

- Helios, and Selene, intermittently pass through there once each day.

- Styx runs through it, joining with Ocean.

So, it appears, just from the facts, that Tartarus has the shape of a toroidal coil, the "brazen walls/gates" could be the conducting coil, the electric field being generated by Styx's current flow, thus generating the magnetic field which keeps Tartarus, and everything within it, selfcontained.

"The neck" could be the magnetic vortex flowing through the center of Tartarus, and the "pouring of Night" could be plasma, the "rows" being plasma sheaths.

Just a hypothesis.
>>
>>8054040
>- Earth, Ocean, and Sky, have their in there.

*their basis in there

Oops
>>
From quick reading, I interpret it as being three ditches outside the brazen fence. the fence surrounds the pit where the titans are being held. Apparently the ditches are filled 'with night', which seems a bit abstract.

The page is here:
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=G9-qE_CIIZkC&pg=PA19&lpg=PA19&dq=night+is+poured+in+three+rows+around+the+neck&source=bl&ots=cwZcUnVgqz&sig=RJMg9g9HYbKbGkI_3xHhaPXnXPY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiC0o-Q1uPMAhWbOsAKHWxNCIIQ6AEIHTAA#v=onepage&q=night%20is%20poured%20in%20three%20rows%20around%20the%20neck&f=false
>>
you are not very bright, i take it, aren't you?

it means that the night coils tartaros three times and beyond and above the three belts of night there lies the roots of the earth and the ocean

now, the correct question it would be how these three rows of night are separated from each other so you know that it's the first row or not the second or the third...

btw it's pretty poetic
>>
Sershie is mai waifu
>>
>>8054071
You didn't provide anything meaningful; you just reworded the phrase.
>>
>>8054080

what do you hope to hear anyway?
>>
>>8054094

You're not very bright, aren't you?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.