[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I downloaded the starter kit to my google drive Got a copy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: start with the greek.jpg (1 MB, 3672x3024) Image search: [Google]
start with the greek.jpg
1 MB, 3672x3024
So I downloaded the starter kit to my google drive

Got a copy of Mythology by Edith Hamilton

Read some Plato

Have read Illiad before (well bits and pieces)

And have been listening to a podcast series of pre-Socratic philosophers

But I dunno guys, its all very fascinating but should I really start with the Greeks?

Is it just a meme or will it ultimately serve some sort of purpose?

Can I skip to the enlightenment? I really want to read Kant.
>>
>>8053634
you can start wherever you want lol "start with the greeks" is a meme.
>>
>>8053634
You really can start wherever you want, but I still think that you should read them at some point.
>>
You need to read Hume and Descartes to understand Kant, nothing else.
>>
>>8053643
>>8053699

This. It's a meme but the stuff on that chart is actually good. It is also fun to read, specifically in the order prescribed, because you will get references to the myths in Iliad/Odyssey and references to the Odyssey in Plato, etc. and the whole picture of Greek culture will really start to come together. Even the stuff I wasn't initially that excited about (e.g. Herodotus) I ended up loving.
>>
Are you reading it to seem well read and educated for other people? Or are you reading it because you actually enjoy it? Because one of those makes you a faggot.
>>
>>8055222

Don't be mean. He's clearly doing it because he got memed as the post seems to imply.

>Are you reading it to seem well read and educated for other people?

What about a third option? What if he's doing it to be well read and seeming well read is just a pleasant consequence that follows from this?
>>
>>8055539
lmaooo
>implying he was implying one should, being well read, make an active effort not to come off as such to other people
>>
>>8055595

lmaooo

actually i didn't imply that. whereas he (you?) did imply that there are only two (mutually exclusive) reasons one would read the greeks-

1. to seem well read
2. because you actually enjoy it

https://www.google.com/search?q=false+dichotomy
>>
>>8055656
wew lad, you're pretty confused. and no I'm not a samefag, so if you'd like, maybe just wait for his actual response instead, but i'm telling you right away that you're wrong.

you did imply (now you're also explicitly saying) that he implied one should hide his well-readness.
which he didn't, you misunderstood and now you're spooking the shit out of me with meme fallacies that cannot be applied to this situation if the assumption that you misunderstood him is correct.
>>
>>8055692

>Are you reading it to seem well read and educated for other people or are you reading it because you actually enjoy it?

this literally is a false dichotomy- "Is your motive A or B?" excluding the possibility that both can simultaneously motivate toward reading the greeks. this is what i was pointing out in my post. can you explain how i implied, or as you now say, explicitly stated, that his view is that a well read person should hide their literacy or are you just going to keep reiterating that without expanding on it?
>>
>>8055222
The second one right?
>>
>>8055722
>Are you reading it because of A, or because of B?
>Is your motive A or B?
Two different nuances. I would argue that in both cases he would have to have asked "explicitly A or explicitly B" for it to be a false dichotomy, but as far as the first case goes (what he actually asked), I'm positive:

It's absolutely clear by the conventions of the English language that he wasn't implying it to be a dichotomy. Rather, he was asking which of the two parts was more appealing to the guy, personally.
>>
>>8053634

YO OP throw that starter kid in a download link
>>
I want to read hegel. What background do I need?
>>
>>8056034
why do you want to read hegel?
>>
>>8053634
start with the greeks once you develop an interest. you won't develop the interest by starting with the greeks. start with the classics of the past 150 years or so and do that until you say hey sup with philosophy. read some germans and say wow i dont understand this at all but boy do these dudes love the greeks. i better start with the greeks.
>>
>>8056050
I find the idea of the spirit of the times wich is imprinted in art , culture etc interesting
>>
>>8056015
This.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.