[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>gonna try and start reading fantasy and sci fi >so many
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
>gonna try and start reading fantasy and sci fi
>so many bullshit fake names/words
>all basically unpronounceable

what a mistake
>>
File: 8218028_t.gif (745 KB, 200x151) Image search: [Google]
8218028_t.gif
745 KB, 200x151
It is almost like its fiction and they're making shit up.
>>
Tolkien is the only one who did fake languages right.

I drop any other books that try to do it.
>>
>>8051911
wow, nice snek gif. if only the resolution was higher.

>>8051921
I tend to agree with what this guy is saying though, he and OP have a point. Any of that fake language stuff is a real turn off and nuisance, more often than not. Personally, I think a lot of sci fi is real trash. Other than the classics, any other scifi book I have read sounds autistic as fuck, with really awkward writing and pacing, and stupid names galore. For example, I started reading Dune, which won a Hugo Award or something, which is apparently a big deal in the sci fi community. I could barely read the first 100 pages before I had to quit. The names sounded dumb as fuck. The pacing was terrible. The writer sounded as if he had aspergers growing on his aspergers, and the story was probably the most unengaging thing I had read in years. And that's saying something, given that I could push myself through George R. R. Martin's bland and dry telling of his A Song of Ice and Fire series. I don't know, I have no hope for the scifi genre. It caters to neckbeards with no taste.
>>
>>8051921
Tolkien was a gifted linguist who literally made his setting just so he could have a justification to make up languages. He knew 4 languages before he turned 10. It's very unlikely anything will come close to Tolkien in that respect simply because no one is that autistic about linguistics.
>>
>>8052598
Herbert didn't make up anything though, that's just prejudice on your part. The stuff in Dune is slightly altered arabic for the most part. Even the weirder sounding names are mostly real arabic names, like Thufir Hawat's. Even "Atreides" is just a reference to greek mythology, since House Atreides' claim to power is that they're supposedly descended from Agammenon. The Harkonnens claim to descend from the Romanovs.
>>
>>8051921
nigga was a linguist, what where you expecting?
>>
>gonna try and start reading fantasy and sci fi
this was your first mistake
>>
>>8052687
Why do you keep posting this meme?
>>
>>8052699
No need to be rude, anon. There's the terrifying possiblity that he may not be meming and actually took /lit/ memespouting seriously.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.