[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to know how to organize complex plots for theater. Let
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
I want to know how to organize complex plots for theater. Let me give you guys some examples of what I mean by complex plots:

>A Midsummer Night Dream
>Twelfth Night
>The Comedy of Errors
>Volpone
>A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
>A Little Night Music
>Some Like it Hot
>A Fished Called Wanda

I want to know how I can organize a plot with disguises, change of identities, mistakes, masquerades, last minute inversions, revelations, and all that web of knotty lines of action that eventually converge on a single point.

Is there a book that helps with this kind of ploting? The books about plot I know focus more on simpler things, on how to gain ideas for the main plot, on the act structure, but not on how to organize yourself in so complicated labyrinths.
>>
Just start with a straightforward draft. Then work backwards, changing and connecting things. Convolute every subsequent draft until satisfied.
>>
>>8050382

That's a nice idea: I was even thinking in drawing things, scenes, making lines to conect characters, etc.
>>
File: 31bpKrj-xaL.jpg (14 KB, 323x500) Image search: [Google]
31bpKrj-xaL.jpg
14 KB, 323x500
>>8050311
>Is there a book that helps with this kind of ploting?

David Mamet has written about this
>>
>>8050566

Dont fall for this, OP. Mamet has some good plays, but this book tells you nothing of how to craft a good play.
>>
>>8050618
your post would have more credibility if you proffered an alternative.
>>
>>8050311

bump: I am also interested in the same thing
>>
http://www.amazon.com/Backwards-Forwards-Technical-Manual-Reading/dp/0809311100
>>
>>8052237

wow, that's really nice.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.