[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the "hard bits" in IJ, some of the sentences
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: dave.jpg (12 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
dave.jpg
12 KB, 284x177
What are the "hard bits" in IJ, some of the sentences are long but are there other bits that are HARD. DFW seems to talk about it being a difficult book, the only thing I couldn't do so far has been reading all of that fucking filmography, got it yesterday...
>>
There arent any parts really that are locally "hard", his goal wasnt to make that type of book. The hard part of it really comes after reading it and trying to make sense of all the small and intricate details that are missed on a first read through.
>>
>>8050287
OK, I thought it would be that, I was worried there were like weird logic puzzles hidden in the text or something - was gazing non-nonplussed, on here, at his thesis the other day - of that nature. Will continue to read.
>>
>>8050269
>I'm so smart
nobody cares
>>
It's not hard, it's long and tedious
>>
File: Stork and Mario.png (281 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
Stork and Mario.png
281 KB, 500x300
>>8051027
this
>>
>>8050269
the filmography is fun tho
>>
>>8051046
i dont know what the fuck those two are supposed to be, but i love wild turkey 101 so i love it
>>
>>8051046
seriously, what is this tho?
>>
I gave up on my first read when Hal was smoking in the basement and he tried to describe the layout.
>>
Behead All Satans
>>
>>8050269
The drug addicts bits (Poor Tony and whatnot) are supposed to be the hardest-to-read ones, but overall a lot of DFW's style has to do with really overly complex ideas delivered rather cleanly. I don't like how he runs to scientific jargon whenever he wants to complicate a chapter's prose, but the fun of IJ is that every chapter seems like a different attempt at creating a cohesive style. Which of course means the book ends up having no cohesive style, and feels like zapping through tv channels in search of something that is actually engaging. Sometimes he finds it, though. The disruption through the anecdotes is fun.

There's this chapter near the beginning that's probably the hardest one, a stream of consciousness rant of which I remember almost nothing except that it ends with "He ain't treat her no right." or something, might be fresher for you since you just past it. It's rather concise prose for how byzantine the ideas get, as I said.
>>
>>8054195
Wardine be cry
>>
>>8051635
I've never tried wild turkey. My go-to bourbons are Maker's Mark and Bulleit. Is wild turkey any good compared to those?
>>
It's P easy, he mostly said it was hard to appease plebs and pay them on the back.
It's about same reading difficulty as 2666
>>
I'm about 300 pages in and am enjoying it immensely. Every once in a while a chapter just lags on and ill look ahead to see how many pages are left in it, but by the time I get to the end of the section I'm engrossed in it. What an above anon said about the changing style has been accurate for me so far. I'll get absorbed in one section's style and it takes a few pages of a new style to get used to it. So far the book has been well made little stories with a moment of huge profundity every so often--ive heard a lot about it making more sense when it's read twice, so looking forward to unravelling the mysteries of it. Also

>tfw it's a poor Tony chapter
>>
>>8055082
P.T. and yrstruly and Randy Lenz chapters were great. I disliked the AA and D.G. chapters the most until around page like 800 where he also gets a more interesting role in the book.
>>
>>8054412
You will like wild turkey 101. Makers is good and so is bulleit but wild turkey is my shit. Personally I think bulleit tastes the best out of the three but I would choose wild turkey over most bourbons.
>>
>>8055575
Cool, I'll be sure to try some at some point.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.