[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dog ear or bookmark?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 13
File: dog-eared-book-e1358973316431.jpg (16 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
dog-eared-book-e1358973316431.jpg
16 KB, 300x300
Dog ear or bookmark?
>>
bookmark, always.
>>
Brain mark
>>
dog ear because I'm a madman
maybe bookmark if it's a book that's out of print
>>
>>8050174
+1
I just close the book. I figure if I can't find where I stopped then I wasn't doing a very good job of reading in the first place.
>>
>>8050191
kys
>>
>>8050174
I almost want to tip a fedora at you but I'm miring that talent you have, actually.
>>
book mark you creatures
>>
>>8050207
no
never got the obsession with not dog earing
>>
File: Foo-coh.jpg (23 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Foo-coh.jpg
23 KB, 600x400
>>8050208
Fedora tip for remembering where I stopped reading?
>>
>>8050169
there should be an instant death penalty for people who dog ear books
>>
>2016
>not having patrician leather bookmark
>>
In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any flimsy bookmark’s help. But because, I am enlightened (as to the page where I left off) by my intelligence
>>
>>8050169

Dog ears plural, for pages with significant passages, so you can find them later on. In your own books ONLY, of course.
>>
I'm sick of people who refuse to use a bookmark and are being proud of themselves for remembering the goddamn page number. Bravo, you are so smart, good for you! I bet you also don't have any phone numbers saved in your phone's memory but rather know them by heart.

Using a bookmark doesn't mean you are stupid, it's just more practical. Not only bc you don't have to memorize the page number but also bc you don't have to turn a dozen pages before you get to the one you were looking for.
>>
>>8050431
This.
>>
I spit on the last page I read in a session, and come back to the stain afterwards. Not joking. I figure it's my book, and I'm not very uncomfortable with my own bodily humors.
>>
bookmark, i like to treat my books gently
>>
I came from a traditional Jewish background. I spent a large amount of my childhood memorizing biblical passages, liturgy, and legal writings.

I loved my religious education, but I loved English too, and I would also memorize Robert Frost and Shakespearian soliloquies when I had the time. Because I had the skills of memorization from my Jewish upbringing, it was easy for me to memorize.

I think you don't truly know a passage or a poem if you cannot recite it by heart. Reading without memorizing is like watching a movie pixel by pixel, or eating the ingredients of a cake without baking them together.

This all being said, use a fucking bookmark. The point of books is that you can learn more without memorizing everything, just memorize the stuff that really matters. Memorizing page numbers or trying to remember exactly where you stopped doesn't matter. The whole point of books instead of scrolls is to save pages and navigate without learning it intimately.
>>
both,

bookmark for progress while reading

top of page dog ear for passages i want to remember
bottom of page dog ears to mark off book divisions or prefaces/afterwords

black pen for annotations
blue pen for personal notes/thoughts

and sticky notes to keep the place of personal notes
>>
i use the page that inevitably falls out the front of the book as a bookmark
>>
>taking more than one sitting to finish a book
>>
>>8050538
>memorizing

With all of the great advances in technology and their impact on information, from the printing press to the internet, we've also truly lost something wonderful by moving as far away as we have away from oral tradition and memorization and deep internalizing of texts.
>>
ereader
>>
I rop off the blank page at the beggining and use it as a bookmark
>>
File: clown_jester[1].jpg (243 KB, 396x600) Image search: [Google]
clown_jester[1].jpg
243 KB, 396x600
>>8050564
>only reading books that can be finished in one sitting
>>
>>8050169
Bookmark

I highlight and take notes all over the books I read, but to actually have clumpy pages when you close the book pisses me off to no end
>>
>>8050431
Why not use those things where you stick them to the side of the page and they stand out with their colors? They sell them at Staples
>>
>>8050582
I completely agree. For anyone wishing to do a little memorizing and partake in a great literary tradition:

The Eagle, Lord Alfred Tennyson

He clasps the crag with crooked hands;
Close to the sun in lonely lands,
Ring'd with the azure world, he stands.

The wrinkled sea beneath him crawls;
He watches from his mountain walls,
And like a thunderbolt he falls.
>>
>>8050484
I-I remember a lot of important phone numbers by heart ;_;
>>
>>8050551
Do you do this for fiction?
>>
>>8050169
Bookmark, though I'm beginning to have my doubts. The dog ear kind of gives it "character".
When I pass on my rare Reclam(tm) edition of Stirner to my wife's son I feel like it would make it more special, if you know what I mean.
>>
>>8050672
>he didn't read Don Quijote I and II in one sitting
Me neither though to be honest
>>
>>8050169
I just stick whatever I have near me in the page- never understood buying a proper bookmark. Small leaflets, train tickets, stickie notes, etc
>>
>>8050484
People are proud of that? Since when? Never seen anyone do that.
>>
>>8050203
yeah, if I don't remember where I left off I reread a few pages just to get back into mind
>>
File: 1462557254448.png (56 KB, 147x155) Image search: [Google]
1462557254448.png
56 KB, 147x155
>>8050169

>tfw I buy a used book with millions of dogears
>>
File: FB_IMG_1463064049658.jpg (28 KB, 405x592) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1463064049658.jpg
28 KB, 405x592
>>8050504
holy shit
>>
>>8050484
Seek help. No one is "proud" of that.
>>
>>8050682
they are not for free
>>
>>8050169
If you don't remember were you left off, you didn't read well enough.
>>
What do you use for a bookmark?

I usually use the receipt they give you at the library with the due date on it.
>>
proud bookmarkmustardcase here
>>
>>8050905
receipts are my favorites, but sometimes I just rip a strip off a piece of notebook paper or something and use that

when I read Gravity's Rainbow I made a list of characters that I folded up and used as a bookmark
>>
>>8050928
I like to write down all the words I don't know over the course of the book and then when I finish it I give myself a little vocab test
>>
>>8050169
Bookmark. You monster.
>>
>>8050776
I fucking hate wordsworth so much, familia
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
I have a white board so I just write down the page number where I left off. Also, I always finish reading at the beginning of a new chapter so it's not too difficult to remember where I last was.
>>
I wrote and mark my book with highlighters, dog ear every page I find interesting and curl up paperback covers. I am the destroyer of books.
>>
File: eji345i3j4.jpg (1 MB, 2896x1944) Image search: [Google]
eji345i3j4.jpg
1 MB, 2896x1944
i just dot the thing with ink
>>
>>8051068
publisher or poet?
>>
>>8050686
I used to know a lot of phone numbers for friends and family. After getting a cell phone, I pretty much only know my own phone number.
>>
File: 4812945-serious.jpg (21 KB, 450x299) Image search: [Google]
4812945-serious.jpg
21 KB, 450x299
>2016
>not just ripping out the pages and throwing them in the trash when you're done with them
>>
Bookmark if I'm working on reading multiple things, but otherwise I can usually go by memory and find about where I was when I left off. I don't mind re-reading a couple of pages.
>>
>>8050905
The bookmarks that come with my bookdepository.com shipments.
>>
>>8050672
>Sitting while reading
>>
Mmmh, e-reader masterrace.

And before a jealous pleb tries to say "w-what a-about notes or l-losing them" it can have backups. Just like that novel you're writing. ;-)
>>
>>8050551
I might just tweak this method and use it, anon. Good on you.
>>
File: Espanhol-Copag-o06-12.jpg (43 KB, 620x193) Image search: [Google]
Espanhol-Copag-o06-12.jpg
43 KB, 620x193
>>8050905
a card, the king
>>
File: 1320367351240.jpg (10 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1320367351240.jpg
10 KB, 184x184
Reading physical is for fedoras, ludites and girls who like books for the smell and other shit.
>>
>>8051158
is that you diary desu?
>>
>>8051745
2/10 painting.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.