[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whatever happened to David Foster Wallace, the meme? There once
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6
File: sad james franco.jpg (167 KB, 529x705) Image search: [Google]
sad james franco.jpg
167 KB, 529x705
Whatever happened to David Foster Wallace, the meme? There once was a time /lit/'s catalog would always have threads memeing own and own about the guy and the water that this is.

Has John Green out-memed him?
>>
>>8049704
>"own and own" instead of "on and on"
well that was retarded of me just now
>>
>>8049704
People grew up and are now embarrassed
>>
>>8049870
more likely they became oldfags and migrated and now all the newfags simply haven't read the books yet
>>
>>8049870
nothing embarassing about DFW, desu

maybe his popularity and fanbase
>>
It hasnt slowed downidk what your talking about
>>
>>8049704
I still see his face at least once or twice when I skim the catalog
>>
File: 26SEGELJP2-master315.jpg (30 KB, 315x315) Image search: [Google]
26SEGELJP2-master315.jpg
30 KB, 315x315
>>8049704
I like it. Though I really did enjoy when Daveposting was rampant, and every other post on this board was a new fresh Wallace meme that I could gobble up and savor with ever growing delight, I do enjoy the newfound rarity, almost nostalgia, that is beginning to accompany the newer Dave posts. And that's not to say that Dave has completely died out (well he did, to be completely honest, but not in meme form at the very least), but there is a sense, at least to me, of warmth, of a deeper connection, when someone posts an HD pic from the meme interview of Dave, silly ol' Dave, making one of his funny faces, or someone subtley adds in a "this is water" into their post, or a "no discernable talent"...I'm reminded almost of a scene in The Pianist, where Szpillman, right before the tragic incident in which he is separated from his family, makes eye contact with one of the other Jews around him, and there is a sense of deep connection, a connection through pain and understanding, through an underlying bond that has been formed through all the experiences, mirrored, in this case, by the shitposts we all suffer through. Deep down, there exists a bond between us, made stronger by the harrowing winds of Green-posting, beaten but callused by the gnaws of Gass-posting...that triumphs, in it's subtle way, in the form of a Dave-post, a reminder of the golden past of memes. When I see that endearing photo of dfw-cringe, or dfw-surprised, I can't help but feel a sense of deep profundity underlying it. Yes, things will be okay, he seems to say from his beautiful foureyed face. Yes, I am still here, and I will always be here.
>>
>>8049704
who dafuq is that
>>
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 276x183) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 276x183
>>8050105
The PM of Canada.
>>
ITT: anons who haven't even seen their first summer yet
>>
File: Shia-Labeouf-Clapping.gif (2 MB, 410x230) Image search: [Google]
Shia-Labeouf-Clapping.gif
2 MB, 410x230
>>8050001
>>
>>8050001
that's that good pasta
>>
File: deef.jpg (33 KB, 534x388) Image search: [Google]
deef.jpg
33 KB, 534x388
>the original ">he doesn't use footnotes" is nearly a year and a half old
how fucking pathetic is it that I feel nostalgic about a lit meme thread
where does the time go?
>>
File: 35345345345.jpg (564 KB, 1753x2560) Image search: [Google]
35345345345.jpg
564 KB, 1753x2560
Are we doing Infinite Summer this year?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.