[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am finding this book difficult. Am I retarded?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 77013.jpg (40 KB, 308x475) Image search: [Google]
77013.jpg
40 KB, 308x475
I am finding this book difficult. Am I retarded?
>>
>>8048939

No. Faulkner is not light reading. His stream of consciousness style places him somewhere around Joyce or Woolf in terms of a specific type of difficulty. It can take a bit of getting used to if you haven't read those authors.

Stick with it, though. As I Lay Dying is great.
>>
>>8048939
This novel's pretty short so don't be afraid to reread the entire thing, it might make more sense afterwards.
>>
>>8048949
>>8048954

Ok, cool

I just felt after reading some of the authors I have, this book shouldn't be a problem, I've never heard of it being regarded as difficult.
>>
No. Faulkner is difficult.

It's a decent introduction to Faulkner, too, since it's short.
>>
>>8048939
It's really fucking difficult. The first page isn't even what you think it's about. When I read what it was about, I knew how little I understood everything. It's really fucking difficult.

Scene with the basket and putting it down or something is about spicy sex, just so you know.
>>
As I Lay Dying shouldn't be unreadable but it's not 'easy'.
>>
>>8048939
I had a hard time with it, more than most people considering English is not my first language and Faulkner often changes the spelling of words.

After reading it all I think I can make some sense of it. I'm not sure how much I got out of it, but I didn't love what I got, it was just good but not much more.

I still have to read The Sound and the Fury, so might re-read this one before.
>>
>muh corn
>muh wood
>muh dirt

objectively the shittiest aesthetic
>>
>>8048939

Yes. But that's not why you're retarted. You're retarted because you're posting on 4chan.

Fun story tho, I tried to read Cold Mountain like five times. Each time I couldn't get past the first chapter. This went on for a few years with me picking it up now and then. Someone had given me a nice new hardcover as a gift so I felt bad for not reading it. (That was then. I'm old now and have no fucks to give.)

Anyway, on the six or seventh try, I started reading Cold Mountain and it just clicked with me. The language was beautiful. The characters compelling. I loved every page.

Sometimes you're just not in the right mind space to get a book. Come back to it later. There is no literature you're incapable of consuming.
>>
>>8049428
>muhposting

die
>>
>>8049509
>dieposting

muh
>>
>>8049521
>muhdying

imho this is the best entry to Faulkner, not an easy read at first, but you will get hang of it soon enough. The Sound and the Fury is a different story, had to look up plot key elements online to keep up with the book, but it also gets easier towards the second part. I've noticed that the more I struggle with Faulkner, the more it blows my mind, after finishing As I Lay Dying I thought this was epic, but after finish The Sound and the Fury...oh boy, what a book.
>>
>>8049428
'CORN AND DUST AND WHEAT AHUEHUEHUEHUEHEUEHEU THAT'S ALL FAULKNER WRITES ABOUT'

t. someone who has never read Faulkner (or anything else of worth)
>>
>>8049854
The only thing I've read this past week that wasn't of worth was this retarded post.
>>
>>8049545
>ditkek

red
>>
>>8048939
Categorically. I'm sorry anon
>>
Yes, l you are retarded for making such a retarded thread.
>>
>>8048939
Get drunk on bourbon or rye and then read it. It's what I did.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.