[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I've only gotten into reading rather recently and I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 1365475090228.jpg (429 KB, 747x1417) Image search: [Google]
1365475090228.jpg
429 KB, 747x1417
So I've only gotten into reading rather recently and I'm looking to expand, I've gone through the wiki but I cant just be given a giant list and pick from it, i need recommendations. this is the starter kit, the red ones are the ones I've already read and the ones with blue circles are ones I plan on reading rather soon. What do you guys think I should read next?
>>
Joyce
>>
>>8047858
depends what you liked the most from the starter kit... tell me your top 3 and ill tell you what direction to go
>>
>>8047858
Can you post the not edited version please?
>>
>>8047858
Brave New World is great. Don't listen to these plebs who say it's shit.
>>
File: 1432475026395.jpg (884 KB, 1032x2451) Image search: [Google]
1432475026395.jpg
884 KB, 1032x2451
>>8047858
I'd say out of those you definitely should read invisible man, lolita, and dorian gray. fear and loathing and slaughterhouse are fun breezy reads too, doesn't take much to go through them. overall though you could move into the alt starter kit now.
>>
>>8047858
I've always taken this to be a meme-tier, /r/books list that wasn't meant to be regarded seriously.

>>8047924
Is more of an actual set of starting books imo.
>>
>>8047924
this is a really good list, but shouldn't Notes From Underground and Last Days of Socrates be something else from the same author? Like either C&P or The Idiot for Dosto and Meno or Eurythphro for Plato
>>
>>8047954
Isn't that edition euthyphro, apology, crito, and phaedo? either way I think hackett has something that includes all that and meno too with a good translation on top of it.
>>
>>8047971
>Isn't that edition euthyphro, apology, crito, and phaedo
oops I thought that was a different dialogue
that's actually very good then
>>
>>8047880
no specific order i would say Catch 22, Catcher in The Rye and Do androids..
>>8047924
I'll definitely look at these too thanks
>>
>>8048101
Do more Dick. Ubik, Three Stigmata, A Scanner Darkly.
>>
>>8047858
Damn, i never really thought about how terrible this list was.
>>
>>8049897
It's for people who have just started reading, or people who want to elevate beyond rubbish books. If you want to run marathons you don't start by running marathons. You start small. You don't start reading with GR. Most of the books on that list are okay. For the most part that are easy to parse the sentences, the thematic material isn't too abstract or esoteric and is presented in a relatively easy way, and it gives you an introduction to several authors that /lit/ talks about a lot.
>>
>>8047858
Definitely read invisible man next. It's a really nice read, not dense, but very moving at parts.
>>
File: top 100.jpg (1 MB, 1820x4348) Image search: [Google]
top 100.jpg
1 MB, 1820x4348
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.