[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any novels that are like In Bruges?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: In-Bruges.jpg (404 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
In-Bruges.jpg
404 KB, 1920x1080
Are there any novels that are like In Bruges?
>>
I hope not.
>>
>>8046739
how come
>>
Of Mice and Men is close for feels and relationships and awful.
>>
>>8046757
it's nothing like of mice and men
>>
>>8046769
two guys travelling because one guy fucked up. the guy who fucked up has to die. he didn't mean to fuck up, but the guy who's travelling with him has to kill him because it's the done thing now he's killed the wrong person. before he dies though, he wants him to have a nice time in bruges/with bunnies. it's the same thing with different scenery.
>>
>>8046786
...have you seen the moive
>>
Read Martin McDonagh's plays. Like In Btuge, they have the same sort of banter/dark humor mixed with a light exploration of specific themes. I especially liked The Pillowman, though it gets kinda edgy.
>>
>>8046811
yeah, did the nonlinear plot lead you to think there wasn't one?
>>
>>8046907
yeh, that's it
>>
>>8046914
i want you to go watch this movie called magnolia, and tell me what you think it's about. i'll wait here til you get back.
>>
>>8046737
Graham Greene wrote about gangsters facing moral dilemas a few times with some religious themes thrown in. But Greene wasn't much for humor.
>>
>>8046927
ok, i'll be back soon, i promise
>>
File: JohnBarth-Cover.jpg (83 KB, 388x580) Image search: [Google]
JohnBarth-Cover.jpg
83 KB, 388x580
I would say "The Floating Opera" by John Barth, an early staple of the black humorist movement, basically the story of a Meursault type who talks like Kurt Vonnegut and decides if nothing means anything he should kill himself (and maybe some other people too)

The actual narrative is the day he decides to kill himself recounted from a later date (huh?) and interspersed with flashbacks of his youth and a love traingle narrative as the day he decides to kill himself slowly drags on ... mostly it's just a guy who acts way smarter than everyone else making 'witty' and smug observations

I read the book only last year and it struck me as something I would have loved at 17 or 18, the same way I felt when I watched In Bruges
You may want to give it a go, hope I didn't sound too condescending
>>
>>8046938
>wasn't much for humor
Our Man in Havana and Honorary Council are pretty funny. Travels with my Aunt is hilarious, but not really relevant
>>
>>8046954
>Council
Consul
>>
>>8046954
A Gun for Sale and Brighton Rock are about as funny as cancer. Maybe he mellowed with age.
>>
>>8046927
magnolia's shit
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.