[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Be honest, you're anonymous, do you consider self-publishing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
Be honest, you're anonymous, do you consider self-publishing to be REAL publishing?
>>
my local indie bookstore has a self published shelf, it has been in the exact same untouched state since at least 2011 when i first went there, so yeah if you yelled the words of your book out the car window youd reach like 20 more people than self publishing ever would
>>
No.
>>
>>8045950
Allen Ginsberg's "Howl" changed the world.
>>
>>8045950
It's
>Easy
>Cheap
>Fast
so no
>>
>>8045958
But why not mix the self-published book with the rest? Obviously people will avoid them, but probably won't mind it if they're among the other "normal" books.
>>
I dunno, do you consider real publishing to be real publishing?

look at the garbage that gets published.
>>
>>8045950
Yeah, it is real publishing. But is it effective or ideal? Certainly not. But you have to start somewhere I guess.
>>
>>8045950
It's good if you can churn out shitty genre books every three months.
>>
>>8046293
>But is it effective or ideal? Certainly not

That depends. If you have a blog or Facebook page with thousands of followers (and that’s not that hard to achieve, if you invest a little money on it once and twice) you can promote and market your book there and end up selling a lot of volumes on demand.
>>
Daily reminder that Sterne self-published the first edition of Tristram Shandy
>>
File: 1403390116320s.jpg (2 KB, 125x119) Image search: [Google]
1403390116320s.jpg
2 KB, 125x119
>>8045958
>so yeah if you yelled the words of your book out the car window youd reach like 20 more people than self publishing ever would
>>
>>8046386
can i interest you in any lottery tickets friendo?
>>
>>8046428

I don’t think that this proves that Stern was lucky. Other author have self-published, among them Proust, Walt Whitman, T.S. Eliot, Blake, Shaw, Shelley, and many others.

The real problem is that the great majority of self-published books are really bad; actually the majority of all books published or self-published at any given moment are bad. The self-publishing thing just makes it much easier for trash to come out.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.