[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, where did the whole "the butler did it" thing originate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: butlerdidit[1].jpg (50 KB, 510x200) Image search: [Google]
butlerdidit[1].jpg
50 KB, 510x200
So, where did the whole "the butler did it" thing originate from?

It's the biggest dead unicorn trope (meaning, it's a trope that never existed in the first place) there is, but if it never actually happened in any mystery novel, then where did it come from?
>>
>>8045696

Brothers Karamazov
>>
>>8045696

Brother's Karamazov used it, such a contrived hack move.
>>
I thought the meme was that the gardener did it and I always suspected the origin to be some sort of Miss Marple detective fiction
>>
>>8045696
Mary Roberts Rinehart, in her 1930 novel "The Door".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Roberts_Rinehart
>>
>>8045704

It's a bit more complex than that in Brothers Karamazov, as the "butler" is a major character and has a legitimate reason to do it.

"The butler did it" is when an extremely minor character turns out to be the culprit, which is something that has never happened in any serious mystery story, and only happens in parodies.
>>
>>8045696
I always took it to be a class thing. None of the aristocrats could ever do such a thing, but you always had to be careful about the help. So many of them are secretly riff raff.
>>
>>8045696
I thought it was from The Mousetrap...
>>
>>8045741
It can turn out that the minor character had motives that tie into earlier plot points or information that isn't revealed to have been important until the end (ie. the butler might be the oft-referenced estranged brother of so-and-so after his inheritance or the son of a worker killed by the victim's criminal negligence out for revenge). This usually involves a long, rambling explanation/justification that feels rushed and forced a la Colombo. It's definitely hacky and one of the lazier twist/cop-out endings you can have, but it's actually fairly common in cheap whodunnits. The reason it's hard to come up with specific examples is because the novels that resort to this kind of thing are instantly forgettable and without any sort of acclaim.
>>
File: 1460842234831.jpg (21 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1460842234831.jpg
21 KB, 640x480
>>8045696
>dead unicorn trope
>>>/tvtropes/
>>
If I learned anything from Remains of the Day its that butler's have no human emotions.
>>
>>8046282

TVTropes didn't invent the term.

A dead unicorn is like the term "beating a dead horse", except the horse being beaten never existed.
>>
>>8046385
>TVTropes didn't invent the term.
Can you show me somewhere it was used before TVTropes, then?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.