[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /lit/ have such a massive hateboner for this man?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 320x486) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 320x486
Why does /lit/ have such a massive hateboner for this man?
>>
>>8044669
I don't like him because he distracts new generations from real literature. But then again he's getting young people to read, which is good even though his books aren't.
>>
>>8044669

https://youtu.be/JgDwaJ0WCVE?t=87

Absolute madman.
>>
well all i know is what ive heard, that all his major releases have been written by ghostwriters, and that just annoys and pisses me off.
>>
>>8044689

1:27
>>
>>8044669
it's the sjw shit, if it was just the books we wouldn't have a problem
>>
File: wobbling.jpg (48 KB, 672x372) Image search: [Google]
wobbling.jpg
48 KB, 672x372
>>8044669
>good-looking, young, wealthy, famous
>successful writer
>successful yutuber
>ultra-popular among teenage girls
>>
>>8044669
Weak "males" like this are naturally repulsive to real human beings. Gross!
>>
>>8044693
>"At the Manhattan School for Art and Music, where everyone is “different” and everyone is “special,” Gretchen Yee feels ordinary. She’s the kind of girl who sits alone at lunch, drawing pictures of Spider-Man, so she won’t have to talk to anyone; who has a crush on Titus but won’t do anything about it; who has no one to hang out with when her best (and only real) friend Katya is busy. One day, Gretchen wishes that she could be a fly on the wall in the boys’ locker room–just to learn more about guys. What are they really like? What do they really talk about? Are they really cretins most of the time?

> Fly on the Wall is the story of how that wish comes true."

It's like I'm reading Kafka all over again
>>
>>8044811
>She’s the kind of girl who sits alone at lunch, drawing pictures of Spider-Man

god, how terrifying
>>
File: 1458130932859.jpg (35 KB, 600x549) Image search: [Google]
1458130932859.jpg
35 KB, 600x549
>>8044816
>>
>>8044811
>She’s the kind of girl who sits alone at lunch, drawing pictures of Spider-Man
there literally hasn't been a better time for white men to live in than right now.

ayy lmao cant you see that we're all equal, Shaniqua loves Spider-Man too! I'm such progressive (good) writer!
>>
File: 1447603628997.jpg (85 KB, 300x334) Image search: [Google]
1447603628997.jpg
85 KB, 300x334
>>8044669
Eighteen to twenty-somethings that seem to think that struggling through 'Stirner for Dummies' makes them above such mundane trivialities as Young Adult fiction.
>>
>>8044833
You're right tho sarcasm aside

Living conditions and modern medicine exist and are mostly afforded in first world countries
>>
>>8044698
it's the opposite for me. This is /lit/. Go to /pol/.
>>
>>8044681
That is not good. More readers means more books and more bad readers means more bad books. The massive flood of awful books into an already degenerate system crowds out the few legitimately good books.

Nietzsche was right, universal literacy was a mistake and authors should be considered guilty until proven innocent.
>>
>>8045027
how many fedoras you got on?
>>
File: sciencewithit.webm (127 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
sciencewithit.webm
127 KB, 500x281
>>8044669
he's a pander who has formulaically won relevance through the esteem of normies

the man is literally a profiteering whore sowing a venereal brand of pleb

the world is a worse place because of him
>>
>>8045130
this is bait
>>
>>8045130
>the world is a worse place because of him
If Green was never born, someone else would take his place. He's just a product of the system, not some sort of capitalist mastermind.
>>
Because an incredibly large portion of his niche is attractive young girls and I have the subconscious urge to dominate them by reading and embracing more advanced literature.
>>
>>8044738
Yea, this. Say what you will about how poor his writing is, mediocre young adult fiction is nothing new. The hate for Green is nothing more than third rate jealousy.
>>
>>8045100
was creating the fedora meme a mistake?
>>
>>8045152
>tfw a cute young girl bought you The Fault in our Stars for your birthday and you read it
>>
>>8045195
I had a similar occurrence, except I used it to balance a table.
>>
File: 1454105037924.jpg (32 KB, 356x376) Image search: [Google]
1454105037924.jpg
32 KB, 356x376
>>8044689
>>
>>8044879
You're spooked
>>
>>8045218
YA books are massive (I've seen them in the library, I swear!), what kind of table do you have that one leg is like 5 centimeters shorter than the others?
>>
>>8045268
This.
I have seen a girl who read a different YA book every week,and the books were always 500+ pages long.
She stopped reading after she got her new phone lmao
>>
>>8045268
I read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows a few years back out of curiosity after watching the movies and it stunned me to find out that it was 750 fucking pages. You'd never know it with these books, because the difficulty of reading them is basically on par with just skimming through normal novels.
>>
>>8045299
I read all of the Harry Potter book except for the third one. Imagine how much more patrician I would be if I had read 4,000 pages of something actually good. Oh well. I don't think I regret it. I enjoyed them as a kid and look back on them fondly.
>>
>>8044681
>he's getting young people to read
lol, no. It doesnt work that way.
>>
>>8045644
How does it work, oh Senpai in the Sky?
>>
ALL HAIL JOHN GREEN

POPE OF THE BANAL PLATITUDE

FUHRER OF FALSE AUTHENTICITY

HARBINGER OF THE MILLENNIAL TWEEN GENERATION THAT WILL NEVER END

"YEA, I SAY UNTO YOU THAT EVEN A 37 YEAR OLD MAN CAN BE A 17 YEAR OLD BOY, IF HE BUT RETARDS HIS MIND AND SPIRIT BY READING MY GOOD WORKS"
TWITTER 2:13

"GO FORTH, AND FEEL INDIVIDUATED EVEN WHEN YOU AREN'T; I SAY, GO FORTH, AND FEEL LIKE A TORTURED GENIUS WHEN YOU ARE BUT A TEENAGE GIRL"
EPISTLES TO REDDIT 12:21

"AND TO BE HOLY: IS IT NOT TO BE QUIRKY? AND TO BE QUIRKY: IS IT NOT TO BE EMPTILY EXCITABLE, JOKELESSLY SARDONIC?"
THE GOSPEL OF ALASKA 142:3
>>
>>8045653
YA books like Green's shit feign maturity in order to make the readers feel vindicated. They never have the urge to move on, since they already feel like they're reading deep and valuable literature. As far as they're concerned, classic stuff is equal, except it appeals to old men.
>>
>>8044669
They're all just jealous because he is so smart and handsome.
>>
He's a horrendously cheesy tween romance writer...
>>
>>8045690
>equating this idiots writing to the classics
JUST
>>
>>8046024
Did you even read what I said you dipshit?
>>
>>8044669
I don't. his writing is top tier for a YA writer and I appreciate his progressive views on gender and sexuality.
>>
>>8044669
I've never even looked at one of his books, but when I was co-teaching with the history teacher (weird scenario, could've been really good and syncretic but didn't really work out) I had to sit through his whigged-the-fuck-out sjw history lessons.
>>
File: 1463015293445.png (152 KB, 335x525) Image search: [Google]
1463015293445.png
152 KB, 335x525
>>8044689
>famous youtuber
>grown fucking man
>still can't record a video without jump-cutting
>>
>>8044689
Hahahaha he reads books for teenage girls hahahahahaha
>>
File: 1438265874076.jpg (43 KB, 583x720) Image search: [Google]
1438265874076.jpg
43 KB, 583x720
>>8044669
Because he makes shit books and sells loads of them while I (and most people on this board) struggle to create a work that is an incredible piece of literature.

Trying to be Joyce whilst having no talent is going to make someone very upset when they see someone just half-ass some shitty books and then "make it."
>>
>>8045291
They're really quick reads because of how simple they are. I read a lot of genre trash, and I can knock out one of those paranormal detectives in a single sitting if I have nothing else to do. Like watching a couple movies back to back.
>>
>>8045690
Not everyone does that. The ones that do are the ones that wouldn't have read quality literature no matter what. There is a fairly significant percentage of people that do move on after they feel they've grown out of it. My sister did at ~16 and my ex did at ~22
>>
>>8044689
Why does he speak so quickly? Serious question
>>
>>8045027
This Nietzsche circlejerk meme needs to die.
This meme about using dated philosophy and applying it to the modern world needs to die.
>>
I realize this is as anecdotal as it gets, but I read and liked a couple of his books as a teen and now pretty much exclusively read "real" literature. I get the arguments that reading bad books leads to bad readers but I think there is something to be said for at least reading SOMETHING, even if it is shit tier YA like John Green. I think what determines the kinds of books people go on to read has a lot to do with exposure. I had great English teachers in HS and quickly took to the "real" lit we read in there and haven't looked back. This place has helped a lot too, for better or worse, especially in exposing me to authors and works I never would have otherwise found out about.
>>
>>8047263
thank fucking god I was not exposed to John Green shit in highschool. Say what you want about Tolkien, but LOTR sparked my interest in history which led me to discover literature.

and now im here with you bros shit talking the poor sap. WHOS LAUGHING NOW, GREEN!?
>>
>>8045027
>universal literacy was a mistake
Sometimes I wonder if the average e/lit/ist is actually stupider than a normie.
>>
>>8044669
He gets more attention than he deserves. He tries to be Nabokov for kids, but just writes generic girly YA with slightly poetic one-liners scattered throughout. His online persona is also pretty annoying, and he's clearly a massive egoist. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he regularly sleeps with underage fans.

However, I think it's good that he encourages young people to read for more than plot alone. Most books of that vein have prose that is completely unremarkable. In addition, his Crash Course videos are a pretty decent and engaging introduction to academic history and literary studies.
>>
>>8044681
No, he promotes the classics better than any other YA author.
>>
>>8047208
He's quirky
>>
>>8047263
>I think there is something to be said for at least reading SOMETHING, even if it is shit tier YA like John Green.
Why?
>>
He's more talented than us all yet far less talented than those we want to be like.

He's essentially a reminder of just how far we are from fulfilling our delusions
>>
>>8045157
Hi jonh hows it hanging? Depressed your movie bombed? Dont worry itll be okay in the end
>>
>>8047224
HOW IS RELATING TO PAST WORKS OF PHILOSOPHY A MEME?

FUCKING MORON

I agree on the Nietzsche part tho, not because he's not worth people's time - he is - but just because he shouldn't be fucking read by wikiquotes, when you're depressed in highschool.

But you fucking angried me with "This meme". Fuck you, dude.
>>
>>8047397
If you don't understand, shitlord, then GTFO
>>
File: 1437660701253.jpg (77 KB, 465x683) Image search: [Google]
1437660701253.jpg
77 KB, 465x683
Please stop making threads about him.
>>
>>8044669
fuck john green!!!
>>
>>8044689
the ee cummings and the willa cather one were good tho
>>
>>8045678
Le up boated
>>
>>8045678
Nice
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.