[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did Socrates have Oppositional Defiant Disorder and if so, should
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: socrates.jpg (53 KB, 307x409) Image search: [Google]
socrates.jpg
53 KB, 307x409
Did Socrates have Oppositional Defiant Disorder and if so, should he still be revered?
>>
>>8044325
Yes. Sooner or later psychology will have a disorder and medication for every personality type.
>>
>>8044328
ODD is a condition in which a child displays an ongoing pattern of uncooperative, defiant, hostile, and annoying behavior toward people in authority. The child's behavior often disrupts the child's normal daily activities, including activities within the family and at school.

This seems more like a disorder than just a personality and it fits our man to the bone
>>
The ideal is not social perfection.
>>
>>8044332
Not really if you consider the fact that he questioned everyone, even if they weren't in authority. He isn't defiant, he just asks questions and speaks his mind.
>>
>>8044332
That just sounds like shit any kid does at a certain age, and some people are simply contrarians like Soc and other hipsters. Does it disrupt people's lives? Sure. But calling it a disease implies that there is an ideal, "normal" person somewhere and if you're not him, you need medication. At what point does a punk rock fan fall under the category of ODD?
>>
>>8044332

This just sounds like teachers and counselors trying to shut up children smarter than the teachers.
>>
>>8044332

>Drapetomania was a supposed mental illness described by American physician Samuel A. Cartwright in 1851 that caused black slaves to flee captivity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drapetomania

:3
>>
>>8044325

I diagnose you with shit posting, take these meds
>>
Shit on Freud all you want but the idea of discussing what's causing you problems in your life and figuring out how to work through them still has some currency.

Treating your personality as something to be fixed with a pill is dehumanizing. The machine's broke (read: lost productivity) so fix it and get it working again.
>>
Id tell you but I have a disorder so my opinion is worthless
>>
>>8044357
he questioned everyone who claimed to have some knowledge i.e. authority over some field most prominently
>>
>>8044379
>disorder categorisations are wrong because hundreds of years ago people much less advanced than us made up some silly ones

okie dokes
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.