[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to know more about you guys? How old are you? Do you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44
File: 1430487777602.jpg (345 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1430487777602.jpg
345 KB, 1680x1050
I want to know more about you guys?

How old are you?
Do you write for a living or you do something else?
How is life going?
>>
>>8042262
I'm 25.
I'm a STEM major. Machining and welding and the like. I write, but I write scripts for comics. Not for money or anything. I write a bit of prose, but I think that's just a byproduct of reading so much.
Life could be better. I had my own apartment, but I'm staying with my parents while recovering from a really bad car accident.

What about you, anon?
>>
File: drinkThePainAwayRWBYg.gif (2 MB, 234x300) Image search: [Google]
drinkThePainAwayRWBYg.gif
2 MB, 234x300
I'm twenty this month.
Going through generals in college, then doing some tech classes to help me transfer over to a tech school to do computer engineering.
Wanna try and make videogames, but fallback position would obviously be IT something.
I came on this board ever since my college Brit Lit class and the RWBY general in /co/ got axed.
I regret this decision entirely, because now I'm addicted to the anger this board gives me over the absolutely assinine vitriol I come across and the baseless, dated philosophy that people spew off as facts.
>>
>>8042262
I'm 22.

I'm a CS major, junior year. I have a book idea based on my experiences with being born and raised a cult and the idea is very interesting, and fleshed out. I have 20 pages written. Maybe after I'm done with the first draft I'll post it here since I shared parts of my idea here and people said they liked it.

Besides computer science and writing, I have a parttime job for this semester making music. It might be for summer too, hopefully. The grant ends in summer so that's at most where I'm unemployed. I demoed for a friend for his app for a song that he needed, he showed me the demo to his boss, and she liked it so they hired me. I don't need any help from my parents for money now. If you like I can post something I'm working on for work that I might not end up using.
>>
>>8042335
That sounds like a fucking ride, dude.
Were you one of those kids that were completely closed off from society?
>>

I don't write for a living. I make $12.50 an hour.

Life is going alright. A lot of people have it worse so I shouldn't complain. But I didn't think my life would be like this at this point.
>>
19 year old newbie here. I don't do anything for a living yet. I do write prose in my spare time, though - working on a novel and a short story - and the rest of the time I'm studying, reading, and working (very) part time at a consignment book store.

Life is going pretty well, although I have a lot of mental issues and I doubt I'll live all that long.
>>
File: hackedby4chan.jpg (149 KB, 929x770) Image search: [Google]
hackedby4chan.jpg
149 KB, 929x770
>>8042341
In Japan we were homeschooled. But we had to visit an international school every now and then for achievement tests and general interaction. But I can relate to David Bowie's Life on Mars, a song about is there more to life than what's portrayed in the media, because in a way my knowledge of the "System", or the things outside of the cult, is dependent on books and movies mostly. The cult is no longer running, now its just a website which you can donate money to for inspirational material. The pic is when someone on /b/ hacked the site
>>
File: 1463277183677.jpg (27 KB, 508x524) Image search: [Google]
1463277183677.jpg
27 KB, 508x524
>responding to big data compiling threads
>>
>>8042372
Buddy, at least you're working.
There are guys in their forties that think they're intellectuals but haven't worked a day in their life.
>>
File: Cg2-Vj0WMAAQ7tq.jpg (28 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Cg2-Vj0WMAAQ7tq.jpg
28 KB, 600x450
>>8042262
High school dropout, then went back and finished. Became a college dropout soon after, but then sort-of finished. Majored in philosophy, currently trying to major in mathematics (undergraduate) and doing a master cognitive sciences with focus on cognitive neuroscience.

I started writing when I was 16, but I stopped realizing I have no talent whatsoever. Sent a few short pieces back then, all got reject. Tried again last year with three or four stories, all of them got reject as well. Not working ATM, but I want to get a job in order to leave alone, a hard thing to do considering there is no much work I'm capable of doing.

>How is life going?
pic related
>>

I have no job, I do not write, I do not read

Very badly
>>
>>8042262
23. I live in China teaching Chinese people English. Right now I'm in a severe amount of pain because the girl I was sleeping with kneed me in the balls during the act, but otherwise it's a day off work and I'm gonna use it to do some writing on my long-term novel about scifi cops in Hong Kong.

>>8042372
>>8042377
>>8042413
Hang in there, guys. Keep writing no matter what. It'll help.
>>
>>8042262
>How old are you?
>Do you write for a living or you do something else?
No, military. Going to be finished with my first enlistment soon, don't know if I wanna be an archivist or librarian.
>How is life going?
It ok, money is starting to get tight in my family, so I might have to hold off on college until we find some financial stability.
>>
19, working in a menial job to pay rent but training to being a truck driver.
Kinda just experimenting with reading and writing at the moment. Was raised in a household where I wasn't allowed to draw or write creatively so I'm really struggling to find writing easy or comfortable or even what to write.
>>
File: 1458927229920.jpg (543 KB, 1400x1002) Image search: [Google]
1458927229920.jpg
543 KB, 1400x1002
I turned 22 in January.
I work at Starbucks. Sure would like to write for a living.
Just moved in with my gf in February in the big city. Been taking a few months to collect myself and figure out what I want to do. I'm trying to develop discipline so that I'll actually write. Mom wants me to go back to college but I don't think I'm going to. Life's been troubling recently but now I feel like the winds are gonna change for me.

Thanks for making this thread, anon.
>>

History undergrad

Closest I ever get to 'artistic expression' are the essays I have to produce every week. Parents had the standard ambition for me to become a lawyer or engineer; so creative writing has never been something seriously promoted in the household. Would like to make a start at some point though. Trouble is, I'm not sure if I have anything worth saying.

Life could be worse, but it was difficult making the transition from secondary school to uni. Comparatively, it's been a fairly lonely experience thus far. Doubt it's that special a story though-- I'm almost certain that most of us are here because of the quasi-isolation we endure in real life.
>>
>>8042446
>It ok, money is starting to get tight in my family, so I might have to hold off on college until we find some financial stability.
Same here.
College is free, but I don't know if I can arrange a schedule to work and study at the same time.
My parents don't want me to work, but I don't want to be a leecher.

>>8042453
>Mom wants me to go back to college but I don't think I'm going to.
If you can major in something that will give you a better job, do it.
>>
>How old are you?
I'm a physics undergrad currently working on my thesis.
>How is life going?
I'm from Venezuela so it's going pretty bad.
>>
I don't do anything. I'd like to finish school. But I hate it. I bum around from what money I have saved from place to place and job to job. I love someone who lies and tells me they love me. I don't think things are going to work.
I'm trying. Losing hope. I write sometimes, it's not very good.
>>
>>8042509
The Post 9/11 bill covers everything, including living expenses. It just doesn't feel right, having it all paid for, while my folks and brother are struggling. I got 10 years before it expires, so I got time.
>>
>>8042262

I'm 25 and a NEET. My life is in shambles.
>>
I'm 19. I live in Spain and I'm a History undergrad. Started writing short stories in September of 2015 and ,looking at my first writings, I see clear improvement from then, which feels really cool. I didn't write shit for a month now because of exams, but I got some ideas and I want to write a shitton in the summer. Didn't make any money from writing yet, I'm waiting for the results of three short story contests tho. I don't think I'll win none of them, but whatever.
Life could be better, but it's not bad. I play in a band and have a good time going to concerts with peeps, I got a cool friend who is also into literature and memes... in the other side, I sometimes find myself trapped, I live in a shithole of a city (even for Spanish standards), this course was pretty dull at uni and I didn't study shit and I sometimes feel kinda lonely even if I know it's my own fault and decision; most people seem boring to me and I feel lazy about most social events. Guess it will solve itself tho.
>>
File: tumblr_myahn47Quh1qjg75jo1_1280.jpg (530 KB, 578x770) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_myahn47Quh1qjg75jo1_1280.jpg
530 KB, 578x770
20 years old.
I write occasionally, and just wrote a film me and a girl from work are going to start going ahead with. We'll be using a bunch of co-workers for actors, crew, hell even a guy will be making an original score. A lot of people there are hipsters just trying move into one career or another.

Life's going pretty well! Can't complain. Living a thousand miles away from where I grew up, with an older girlfriend who loves me and steady work.

Just wish I had enough money to go back to school, I deferred a semester and am worried it wont just be a deferred by a regular ol' drop out.
>>

Finishing up creative writing undergrad, working on a novella for a thesis, going for an MFA next year.

Most other English majors I meet don't read much more than Harry Potter, Jane Austen, and YA shite.
>>
>>8042262

24, graduated with a degree in English on the creative writing track. Minored in Psychology and Philosophy.

I fix printers professionally. It's a pretty decent job, 14 dollars an hour plus expenses and benefits, but I desperately wish to return to academia. Maybe it's just because I've been in school all my life but I really miss the environment, as stuffy and pretentious as it can be. I'm trying to get some cash and go study in England, pursue some sort of MFA, but I'm not very sure this will ever happen.

As far as writing goes, I write around 500 words a day, trying to produce one novel a year, minimum. Hoping that by producing enough volume that I'll be able to "git gud." Last novel came out pretty well, getting decent reviews from first readers, won't likely be able to get anything done with it because I'm shit at networking and PR and all that side of everything.

Life is mostly meh, more or less from my own doing, realizing that this will likely be the rest of my life and that I was lied to for years being told that I had potential to be something.
>>
>>8042638
>Jane Austen
I like Austen brah
I wouldn't put her in the same bag with Potter and YA.
>>

I write roughly 7000 words a week and my old English teacher from high school is editing my first book rn for publication, probably be a while before publication. I also read a bunch. It started with Ray Bradbury freshman year and rn I'm trying to see if I can understand Kant. It's not going too well.

Really great. Left home last year at 17 because of family issues and dropped out. Couch surfed for about 6 months before I got a job as a machinist making 14 (now 17.35) dollars an hour. Got my GED a few months after dropping out and now I'm planning on going to the university of Kansas in August as a linguistics major on a bunch of scholarships. I shouldn't have to take out loans unless something happens and I lose my job or scholarships. I'm also taking classes at night rn at the local CC to start as a sophomore.
>>
>>8042657
This is going to sound weird, but could you describe your job fixing printers?

Also post your work, if you are comfortable in doing so
>>
>>8042657
>Last novel came out pretty well
Post name, or email me the name if you're not comfortable posting the name here.
I want to read it.
[email protected]
>>
>>8042596
>with an older girlfriend
how old is she?
>>
>>8042709
Service Tech. Drive around, fix things, started less than a year ago. I'm in the US, mid-atlantic region.

Any particular reason why?
>>
>>8042669
Manual machining or CNC?
>>

I'm on my final year of college, """""""writing"""""" my dissertation atm.

It's good, I'd say. Something is taking its course.
>>
>>8042876
CNC

I did 3 years of shop class w a shark pro plus, so I wasn't completely clueless starting our

Got the job through nepotism tho
>>

I do nothing all day every day

No friends, no prospects, no drive, poor mental health and i bite the shit out of my tongue in my sleep and it's agony to add insult to injury, my tongue is half falling off and shredded
>>
>>8042973
wear teeth guards that athletes wear for your tongue problem
>>
I have twenty one years

The less I think about the current state of my life the better it gets.
>>
>>8042976
good idea ty
>>
File: charlotte_540.jpg (33 KB, 540x440) Image search: [Google]
charlotte_540.jpg
33 KB, 540x440
>How old are you?
Writing has strictly been a hobby since I was about 12 or something. I only feel like I've gotten decent in the last year or so. I've been sharing my latest work around a bit, waiting for someone, anyone, to slam it into the ground and tell me what's wrong with it, because nobody has been giving me negative feedback.
Coming to 4chan about it has been a last resort.
>How is life going?
My family say I'm not doing anything worthwhile; the fact that I'm happier than them and still saving money begs to differ.
Idunno, I work a manual labour job with some great folks, and I write during breaks and before bed. It's a routine, but 4 years of it and I'm not burned out yet.
>>
>>8043041
what do you write? if its similar to mine I'll critique it
>>
>>8043069

It's mostly dominatrix erotica with strong undertones of German Idealism

I can give u a Google docs copy if u want
>>
>>8043096
if you are joking hit me with a link, if you aren't, hit me with a link
>>
File: Kek in miniature.jpg (73 KB, 724x620) Image search: [Google]
Kek in miniature.jpg
73 KB, 724x620
>>8043096
nice try m8, but dominatrix a shit

>>8043069
If you're that curious; it's a light cyberpunk slice-of-life, though the plot does move.
>>
>>8042262
>How old are you?
20, just graduated from university.

Majored in Computer Science. Occasionally shit post on 4chan and hang out with my girlfriend when I have free time.

>How is life going?
It's okay.
>>
>>8042669
Hey man, good on you. How was the GED by the way? Did you study for it at all, because knowing the type of people who get it, it should be incredibly easy.

t. 2400/2400 sat scorer
>>
>>8042839

Not published or anything m8, but I can send you a google doc or something.
>>
File: babyquilt4.jpg (145 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
babyquilt4.jpg
145 KB, 700x700
I'm 26. Never had any plans to write for a living. I'd like to be a professor, but I'm still a graduate student at the moment, and currently work from home grading tests.

Life is going very well. I'm about to get through three fairly major accomplishments within the next year: marriage, buying a home, and having a kid. I'll also be finishing my MA and starting PhD work, with one conference later this year and two papers in review I'm hopeful about.

I'm picking up some more low-key hobbies for when the baby's here, and in general having lots of fun with life. Might be partly because of eating much healthier now too.

For the past couple of months (and likely for most of the summer) I've been working 60+ hours a week to build more income for the three aforementioned big steps, but I thankfully have a relaxing job. It leaves me little time to read though. I've read 50 books so far this year, but most have been art books and children's books.
>>
>>8043151
Nice, what are you studying?
>>
File: out.jpg (169 KB, 1663x1247) Image search: [Google]
out.jpg
169 KB, 1663x1247
>>8043151
>>
>>8042657
What's your novel about?
>>
File: edogawa covers.jpg (381 KB, 659x1240) Image search: [Google]
edogawa covers.jpg
381 KB, 659x1240
>>8043160
Literature. More specifically, Japanese stuff.
>>
>>8043143
Can you send me it too?

[email protected]
>>
>>8043137
It's very different from the Sat and act. And I did study quite bit for it, tho probably didn't have to in hindsight.

But with a 2400 Sat, I think you'll be okay
>>
>>8043201
i was kidding about being a 2400 sat scorer (i got a 2130), but i am an 18 year old drop out. What was the hardest part of the GED, and what should I study for? I took ap/honors classes and the highest math i took was AP calculus, but dropped out due to lung cancer
>>
>>8043186
Reinterpretation of the Grail Quest/Fisher King mythos set in the American West in 1907. Focuses specifically on the Galahad/Lancelot interaction and takes place in a sort of fractured timeline which would technically be after the fall of King Arthur's Court.
>>
>>8043221
Math is usually the hardest part, but if you did okay on the sat, u will be fine.

Writing is also usually a tough part. But most of the test really is common sense. They want you to pass, don't stress it.
>>
>>8043242
thanks my nigga

Should I still study for it, though? Or just take it tomorrow.
>>
>>8043198
Shared.
>>
>>8043247
Just take it tomorrow. If you think you know everything covered up till 10th grade, you'll be fine.

Hows the cancer btw
>>
>>8043112
can i read it?
>>
File: 5Fu-Mc8d2ds.jpg (46 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
5Fu-Mc8d2ds.jpg
46 KB, 396x385
>>8042262
21 year old from slav western europe country, webdev, life is neither good or bad and I don't care if it ends in the next 1 minute or if I live forever.
>>
>>8043257
Terminal cancer now. I have about seven months left, but I might as well get my GED before I die.

And what do you mean by most of the test being common sense? Can you give me an example of a question?
>>
19 years old.
Currently in school majoring in Chemical/Materials Engineering.
Life isn't going that great; I'm constantly depressed and really wish I would be less lonely. This is more of an internal sense of loneliness that I feel can't be changed, which kind of adds to my depression.
>>
>>8043271
Like defining what a noun and verb are, the arc of a plot, how to read a graph, simple shit
>>
>>8043282
lol. Thanks.
>>
>>8043271

Sorry to hear that m8.
If the universe is truly infinite I suppose we'll see you around again.
>>
>>8042854

23, with a rich as fuck dad
>>
>>8043279
Same. Even with a girl friend or someone who knows me who I consider close I feel like I'm living in my own head if you know what I mean. I've learned to push through it. I still feel it pretty much all the time, but at least I spend my time being miserable doing something, and that sort of helps.

Anybody else like this? I hope it changes as I get older, but I'm not sure.
>>
>>8043298
Try to fuck her dad
>>
>>8043143
Thank you for sending the book.
Since you said it was getting good reviews I thought it was already published.

I've read a few pages, it seems good so far.
>>
>>8043298
Is he handsome?
>>
>>8043279
I feel you man. All I want in this life is contentment. Not even extreme happiness and I just can't find it. I wish I didn't exist. Fuck this gay earth.
>>
>>8043330
wishing is death
>>
>>8043300
I am and I'm 27 and for me it gets worse and worse. Every year I feel more and more detached and more dissapointed with my life.
>>
>>8043338
All I can do is laugh.
>>
>>8043300
I have an extremely loving, supporting family, but I still feel isolated and alone in my thoughts, and I can't imagine how anybody doesn't feel utterly alone, if they actually think about it.

Used to like getting drunk or high, but nowadays getting high amplifies the isolation and getting drunk negatively impacts reading/writing/school busywork, and when I can get lost in that stuff it's much healthier and more fulfilling than the substance abuse, so I'm trying not to spoil it.
>>
>>8043325

He's rich enough to close your eyes and dive on in, if that means anything.
>>
>>8042262

How old are you? 19
Hell, I wish. Although, I'm a university student so I guess writing is part of my life right now.
How is life going?
Good. I just got accepted into a top tier school in the States as a transfer student. Now that it's summer break, I'm going to be just working and reading on my spare time.
>>
>>8043374
what school faggot
>>
>>8043388
University of Phoenix
>>
>>8043388

An Ivy, think Penn/Columbia/Dartmouth
>>
>>8043398
Nice, where'd you transfer from? How did you do it? I currently have a 3.9 at Duke, but want to go to Brown
>>
>>8043398
Just say it you yuppie
>>
>>8043406

Okay, I'm transferring to Penn.

>>8043404

Transferred from a top NESCAC with a 3.5... If you have a 3.9 at Duke, It's completely possible. Just write good essays and recs, what else can I say? Duke is an awesome school though, why would you want to transfer?
>>
>>8043265
Sure. You got an email? I'd rather not invite the collective scorn of /lit/ at large.
>>
>>8043416
To make my friends jealous that I'm going to the same school Emma Watson went to. I really like Brown.
>>
>>8043438

Sorry to disappoint, but your Duke friends wouldn't likely be impressed with Brown. Also, in the case you were transferring, you won't be seeing your Duke friends anymore.
>>
>>8042262
I'm 21, finishing my final exams for my English and Philosophy I should earn this summer. Gradually improving in my handling of clinical anxiety but shit is hard, especially these weeks.
>>
>>8042413

Hey Anon, I'm also a high school dropout that is now doing my MSc in a field related to cognitive neuroscience.
>>
>>8043436
ulysseskaramazov @ yahoo.com
>>
File: james-joyce.jpg (38 KB, 448x293) Image search: [Google]
james-joyce.jpg
38 KB, 448x293
I'm 29 years old. Been on 4chan a while.

At the moment I'm a bit of a NEET. I live with my parents, though recently I spent about two years in New York City. I got my undergrad degree about five years ago and am waiting to see if I get into graduate school. That's kind of keeping everything in limbo, because if I don't get in I can move wherever and find work.

I love to write. Writing is what I love more than anything. I've actually gotten a few short stories published, all of them in the last few months, so I'm really starting to be excited that things are looking up for me, career-wise. I've written a novel I'm trying to get published, and am currently writing that novel's sequel. I kind of wish I could find a wealthy patron who'd send me money while I worked, the way James Joyce did, but I don't think the world works like that any more. My fear is that, while I'd like to get a steady job, it would leave me incapable of writing to the extent I prefer.

Life's going all right. As I said, waiting for graduate school has held everything up. I don't want to be a burden on my parents or anyone, but I'm relentlessly driven to write. I actually worked a few temp jobs in New York, but I could never hold down steady work because I was constantly thinking about my writing and it interfered with my performance.

I want to create beauty with words and tell stories the world will never forget. That's my real life's goal.
>>
>>8042262
>23
>I used to, and I went to school for it KEK
>I'm addicted to opiates and heroin and I live in a drug den

All in all it's pretty good
>>
>>8042262
meme marketing consultant, lite writing
>How is life going?
This year: 7/10
Past 30days: 8/10
Today: 5/10
>>
File: 1448608186640.jpg (444 KB, 957x1118) Image search: [Google]
1448608186640.jpg
444 KB, 957x1118
>1
I'm 22.

>2
I don't and I do not plan on writing for a living. However, I do plan on writing books in my free time because I am a decent writer. I know I have the talent, but the biggest step for me would be giving it to a good publisher. There is always self publishing, but marketing would be a problem.

>3
Life is alright. I went to the United States Military Academy for three years then flunked out due to my bad cumulative GPA since I am terrible at Math and Science courses. I kind of want to do the military still.... but not really anymore. I valued my friends and fellow Cadets more than the idea of being in the military itself. I plan on majoring in Middle Eastern Studies with a Communications minor then going to Middle East as a Combat Photographer. I would love to publish photo essays on war and conflicts. Even the way people are affected by prolonged warfare.
>>
>>8043583
>There is always self publishing

Confirmed for no talent
>>
>>8042543
You left the military to work at Starbucks? Why didn't you just stay in or cross train?
>>
>>8043526
I'm just under twenty, but I feel I have some worthy advice: not writing for a bit and experiencing a different side of life is probably one of the best ways to improve your writing. In fact it's sort of become my method, where I go weeks without writing a thing, or maybe a few poor quality bits, but then suddenly I just overflow with creativity and my fingers are just flying on the keyboard while listening to Devil's Trill Sonata (after days of only dubstep and classic rock).
Go take up a part time job that works 7-3, or go volunteer at a place. Getting out and seeing the world is probably the best way to learn how to emulate it.
>>
>>8043583
Story on this image?
>>
File: 1420097889916.jpg (37 KB, 480x671) Image search: [Google]
1420097889916.jpg
37 KB, 480x671
>>8043594
>Confirmed for no talent

k
>>
>>8043612
>I know I have the talent
>There's always self publishing

The only thing really confirmed is that you're definitely a faggot.
>>
>>8043607

It's a Daesh overwatch position during the Battle of Kobani that was fucked up by a US airstrike.
>>
>>8042425
faggot
>>
I'm eighteen, ghostwrite for my father (who writes for a living, mixed media forms), and I guess I like life but I really don't feel like I'm living as morally or earnestly as I should be.
>>
>>8043631
So that guy's buddies are being blown to bits right there?
I don't know what the conflict is about but damn that would make you feel shit just luckily happening to walk away right as hellfire comes down.
>>
>>8043628
sergio de la plava
john gould fletcher
djuna barnes

if these names dont make sense to you you're wrong
get reked
>>
>>8043643
>just luckily happening to walk away right as hellfire comes down.

To clarify some more, that guy is fucking dead. His insides were most likely liquefied by the shock wave of the explosion. And that explosion was caused by a heavy bomb rather than a hellfire strike. It was followed by another explosion that hit the same spot.
>>
>>8043644
>Comparing yourself makes you talented

It definitely makes you child too
>>
>>8043660
Oh fuck nevermind
>>
>>8043601
Shit bruh

When can we expect On the Road Episodes 4, 5, and 6?
>>
I'M IN PAIN SOMEONE HELP ME AAAAARGGHGHGHGHGGHGHGGH
>>
>>8043731
lol no get fucked
>>
>>8043601
>took you almost 20 years to learn common sense
>>
>>8043837
bit harsh
>>
>>8042262
I don't write
People who write need to check their ego
My day to day is a compromise because of my failure to commit suicide
>>
>>8043858
>failure to commit suicide
C'mon anon, you can do it!
>>
I'm 23.

I don't, I make videos for a merchandising company.

Life's been terrible, because I was raised in a cult and I'm trying to get out of it as soon as I can. I'm also waiting for a literature prize result in my country (which I won't win, I'm sure), but if I did, my life would change forever. I'll try to get an "English" degree next year in another city, far away from my family. Being a literature teacher seems like a good idea to me. Honestly, most of the time I really wish I was never born. Writing helps me going, but I'm not sure until when I can keep it up.
>>
Honest question: why shouldn't I kill myself? I know it's as pointless to die as it is to live, but I'm not looking for a point, I'm looking for relief.

>>8042377
I'm this fag by the way.
>>
I'm 22.

I don't write for a living, but I'll be paid in September for co-authoring a short book. I'll be starting an MFA in the fall. I'll be living off a graduate assistantship.

Life's been good to me so far
>>
>>8043898
which cult?
>>
>>8043920
Jehovah's Witnesses.
>>
>>8043926

Did they touch you? Or are you just stuck and can't get out.
>>
>>8043926
what's wrong with them, except the blood nonsense/
>>
How old are you?
>25

>I work at a restaurant, writing is just a hobby for me.

How is life going?
>Not bad. I have a bachelors of arts in philosophy from a top 20 university, but my grades were too poor to get into an MA or PhD, and I didn't want to do another year to get my grades up. I did have good enough grades to get into a postgraduate diploma, so I decided to do do one. I finished all my course work for that, but I need to do an internship before I can graduate.

I kind of like working at a restaurant, though. I have a lot free time since it's not a typical 9-5, which gives me a ton of time to have fun and also work on my artistic hobbies.

How is life actually going though? Pretty badly. I have a pot addiction; I'm on a shit ton of antipsychotics; I usually neglect important people in my life. I keep thinking some turn around is gonna happen, but idk.
>>
File: 1457340441342.jpg (273 KB, 525x956) Image search: [Google]
1457340441342.jpg
273 KB, 525x956
>How old are you?
unemployed, last job was at Subway
>How is life going?
"unemployed, last job was at Subway"
>>
Starting my second year of Aerospace engineering in September

I work evening shifts at a factory full time, and spend my mornings drinking/netflix.

Everyday I come up with new ideas for stories, but whenever I try and write them out I just lose hope. It upsets me because I know i'm a decent writer, but theres just something limiting my confidence.

I'll spoiler this because im sure lurkers don't want to read about my problems
I think the problem is that I come up with gimmicks, themes, certain scenes, and characters personalities, but I can never start writing from the begginning.

Whenever I map out a full plot it seems so cheesy and cliche that I second guess myself

Idk man, this is probably a basic step for all writers but I need guidance
>>
>>8043942
Just stuck.

>>8043947
You can't go to college. You can't have friends outside the "church". You can't have sex. You have to let your loved ones die if they ever need a blood transfusion. If you're inside and do something "evil", they expels you and nobody else can talk you (your family included) until you come back. You can't have a birthday party. You have to marry inside the congregation. You should not read books that contradict the bible. You must not read/listen about what people don't like about the religion. You have to hate gay people. Women are worthless. You have to despise everyone and their evil religions. You have to indoctrinate your children so they won't leave god's path. And so on.
>>
>>8043883
I will do it as soon as there is an opening. I am not looking for sympathy. I am however always looking to justify pessimistic negative utilitarianism/hedonism
>>
>>8043988
sounds pleasant
>>
>>8042262

I write about a paragraph a day because I hate everything I write so it takes me forever to figure out the perfect combination of words to put down on paper. I also do an absolute shit ton of freewriting. I don't expect to make it big but one day I hope to finish and publish a novel and maybe some short stories.

Life is alright I guess, finishing up highschool and working an entry level job at the moment but as soon as I get my license I'm going into private investigation. I'm living with my girlfriend and her mom which is pretty dope.
>>
>How old are you?
I'm 18.
I actually just finished high school. This year I'll enter to a Conservatoire, hoping to one day become a great pianist.
That being said, I do enjoy writing (just as a hobby, at the moment). Since I will have some spare time the following months, I want to start writing some short stories and poems.
>How is life going?
Actually, pretty good. I'm a little nostalgic because all of the big changes happening in my life right now, but I think everything is going to go well. Most importantly I would say that, these days, I feel loved. More than I have ever felt.
>>
>>8043994
If you ever get to the point where you honestly have no value in your life then take advantage of it my dude. Go rob a bank, go para shooting, get into a fight, speed down the highway, go on a long walk and never come back. Take advantage of your self loathing. Do something.
>>
>>8042262
I'm 24.
I'm making time for GED study. I wish I could have a librarian job so I wouldn't feel restless as an easily scared shut-in.

I'm trying to write so I can have something to do.

Small towns are nice, but with my inability to drive and my social skills, I need to use my autism bucks to learn how to fix my bike.
>>
>>8042453
You sound a lot like me. I'm 21, taking time off college and just moved to a new city to be with my gf. I got into Wesleyan University as a transfer, would probably be an English major, but I'm not sure if I want to go back considering I'm just getting used to my life here and it's pretty decent. I do online copywriting for work although it doesn't pay great so I've been applying other places, it's tough to get a decent job without a degree. Anyone have any input on whether I should go to Wesleyan?
>>
File: 1452468454846.png (364 KB, 634x355) Image search: [Google]
1452468454846.png
364 KB, 634x355
>>8042262
Computer science
Life is very good in the grand scheme of things. I thank God that a hardcore computer science program is almost impervious to the absolute hysteria that has demolished the credibility of the liberal arts and the Anglosphere's universities in general. Unfortunately, that means that in my environment there are very few cute girls at hand. I don't write except for little games that I make in my spare time
>>
>>8043900
Living may be the only thing there is in this universe.

You're also putting anybody who cares about you (and people do care about you) through emotional hell. If u really want to kill yourself and u have some balls, drop everything and go somewhere where you don't know anyone. How about Spain?
>>
I'm 22, and currently work in asset management. It doesn't pay a lot but it's enough to live comfortably, to regularly buy new stuff and travel. I don't write and don't plan to, I'd prefer to read, learn and eventually teach. The author lifestyle doesn't interest me. I'm seriously considering to pursue a M.A. in classical studies and eventually engage in academia. My dream would be to teach Latin in Europe.
>>
>>8044112
I think the idea of living being the only thing in the universe encourages my suicide. There's absolutely no consequence if I do it. The people who care about me may as well not exist anymore after I do it.

I assume that they actually exist, though, so the real argument here is that they won't care enough for their pain to outweigh my relief. I wash off pretty quickly; I doubt that friends think about me often between the times that I see them. My family probably views me as a burden, which - between my medical and education costs - I am. I'd be forgotten within a few months at most. My infinite relief outweighs their brief pain.

I do like the idea of going somewhere else to do it, though. Spain would be alright.

It's worth noting that life is going alright for me at the moment so I'm not really suicidal, but I know it'll all go downhill any second, so I try to be prepared.
>>
>>8042262
I fuck furniture as a hobby.
>>
>>8042262

I work in IT for a local hospital 30 hrs/wk. I'm also going to school. I'm working to join the college of psychology at my local U to pursue a degree in cognitive science with a focus on computation. I can only do these things with the loving support of my girlfriend, as I would not be able to support myself on 30 hours alone.
>>
Is the GED hard to pass?
>>
I wish i was capable of writing for a living.
Applying to Uni majoring in Comparative Literature. If i don't get in i'll try and write a novel or a collection of short stories. If i fail in that too i'm lost. Would off myself if not for my family i guess. I'm ashamed and afraid.
>>
>>8044157
Read the Myth of Sisyphus
>>
>>8044157

how about that idea that the death will not be the end of the existence of your sentience?
>>
>>8044278
Anyone...?
>>
20, 2nd year Econ, hate my course but like my friends so its 50/50. Started writing a novel for pleasure a few weeks ago and its even more pretentious than i could have hoped for.
>>
My god I had no clue /lit/ had such fucking losers on it.

Blue-collar jobs? Seriously? No wonder my philosophy threads get no replies.

We need to either purge these suckers by boycotting shitty threads or move to a new site e/lit/ists.

I never understood why people whine about /lit/ being shit but now I understand. How the fuck can you call yourself an /elit/ist if you're not even from an Ivy or Oxbridge? Trash.
>>
File: Yatesrichard.jpg (49 KB, 298x465) Image search: [Google]
Yatesrichard.jpg
49 KB, 298x465
I'm 20, I work in a warehouse, life itself is beautiful but mine is crap.
I like Richard Yates, Nabokov, Woolf and Hans Fallada.
>>
>>8044324
>le tricky bait post
>>
>>8044324
i go to Yale
>>
>>8044324
i once took an open on-line course provided by harward, does it count? :^)
>>
>>8043900
Judging by the fact that you are using an anonymous image board to seek attention and affirmation you should definitely kill yourself.

Unfortunately, like most people who use suicide as a means to get attention and comfort, you will never do it. Because your life isn't actually as bad as you are trying to convince others it is, you're just a huge fucking crybaby
>>
>>8044366
Not him, but is having gender dysphoria a perfectly valid reason to commit suicide? I find it funny that I'm an attractive man but suffers from gender dysphoria. I'll never transition because I simply won't be an attractive woman. Life is funny.
>>
>>8044376
As someone who had a short period of acute schizophrenia during high school, which among other things made me wish that I had been born a woman, and now being a functional and normally healthy adult in society with a lot of friends and a well paying job I feel qualified to speak on this. You are probably for a number of reasons, including being underexposed to androgen in utero, experiencing low testosterone. I am being 100% serious when I say that you need to start lifting weights, eating healthy, and gaining weight. I'm making the guess that as an attractive male who also feels like a woman you have very low body fat, and I'm doubtful you lift weights so I'm guessing you are skinny. (not unhealthily so just Low weight and 0 muscle mass). Read some stuff on the rational male and illimitable men. You are a man, and you are also in an unhealthy mental state that can be caused by a large number of factors. If you take the right steps, don't smoke weed, eat right, lift weights, stop masturbating (lowers serum testosterone) and start valuing yourself, you will get out of this depressive state and feel normal again
>>
>>8044063
I'm already at that point. It doesn't turn me into a badass and I don't see why it would make me malevolent either. That theory about being suicidal allowing you to do whatever the fuck you want just goes to show the level of disconnect between suicidal people and everyone else.
>>
>How old are you?

I work part time at the local supermarket, I probably make more than the STEM majors ITT because STRAYA CUNT.

>How is life going?
Life is good. This is going to sound like a meme but ever since I discovered the Stoics I've been able to deal with everything so much easier. I've been writing a bit lately as well and I think I'm finally making sense of my life. Reading Joseph Campbell has helped here as well.

I'm reading Heart of Darkness atm, it's lit.

>>8044376
>a perfectly valid reason to commit suicide
such a thing does not exist mate
>>
>>8044376

having 'gender dysphoria' is just as trendy nowadays as having 'spleen' in the 18th century

oh, i have gender dysphoria, this word is so bleak, every day is like ano... wait i mean i dream to have the body of a woman, i can't watch at this penile appendage where in the ideal world a hole should have been!~
>>
>>8044393
Hey, I appreciate your post. Really means a lot to me.

I've wanted to be a girl since I was 8. And yes, you are correct. I have very little muscle mass and am fairly skinny. I suffer from clinical depression and have to take medication for it. The reason why I'm so afraid of doing more masculine things is because I don't want to repress and end up transitioning in my 30s or 40s. Honestly, I'd rather commit suicide when the dysphoria becomes unbearable to live with.

You see a lot of masculine as fuck or older men who end up transitioning. I don't want to end up like that.
>>
>>8042262
I'm 36 and I'm a neet. I love it.
>>
>>8044393
>stop masturbating (lowers serum testosterone)

it's questionable, i believe masturbation doesn't significantly affects testosterone levels

you can check articles like http://www.livestrong.com/article/246689-the-effects-of-masturbation-on-testosterone/
>>
>>8044433

how maximally old can a neet be? 60 y.o.?
>>
>>8044413
This post sums up so many of my issues with the LGBT community. This propaganda about being a repressed old man is nonsense, aside from a literal handful of very specific anecdotes there is no evidence that people who have homoerotic thoughts and don't act on them become gay later in life. In fact, the vast majority of men will, at some point have homoerotic thoughts, and the vast majority of men are not gay and do not live sad lives of repression. The same goes for gender dysphoria but not on the same scale. Because of the widespread societal attack on male identity many men do not feel secure or confident in their own identity because they are taught that masculinity should be repressed and that masculinity is evil. This leads to a lot of weak, low testosterone men who feel genderfluid or even female. You are not repressing anything, like any mental state it is transitive and can change at any time. Start doing some masculine things like lifting weights and eating properly and feeling confident about yourself and you will see instant results and feel better. You might have naturally low testosterone, lifting weights will bring you at least to baseline levels of testosterone and male hormones. The vast majority of healthy males report that they feel more confident and a lot better once they start working put and that was 100% true for me. You have a choice, you will probably just continue along this mental groove of the lowest investment of energy needed to continue and proceed to feel like shit and hate yourself. Or you can be a part of the minority that pulls yourself together, spends the time and energy needed to make the change, and reap the rewards of feeling healthy and happy instead of miserable. Nothing I can say will motivate you to do one or the other. You have to decide if you want to help yourself, and if you decide not to you're screwed no matter what
>>
>>8044448
>Or you can be a part of the minority that pulls yourself together, spends the time and energy needed to make the change, and reap the rewards of feeling healthy and happy instead of miserable.

you mean those who transition? :^)
>>
>>8044456
No, they are sad as fuck and the sucide rate is completely unchanged for transgender people who transition, it is not a healthy way to treat gender dysphoria
>>
>>8044448
Aside from lifting weights, what other activities should I partake in?

I'm not going to lie, I've been feeling better lately and the dysphoria hasn't crept into my mind for a few weeks. I mean, I'm still a lazy sack of shit, but I suppose that's better than crying all the time. Your post is really pushing me into the right direction, so once again, thank you.

About the low testosterone thing... Do you think that's really the case with me? I'm Asian, tall, have a deep voice, and have a lot of leg hair. I did take female hormones for two months but then stopped, so I'm at my regular state now.
>>
shouldn't you both go to /lgbt/? i certainly dont visit lit to read stories of some queers, even though they are sometimes amusing

you are off-topic here
>>
>>8042262

18 year old

write a journal style thing for myself, filled with words, quotes, ranking lists, bits I've written, and ideas I've had, literary or not

I feel very content with my mental development, but I'm currently having tons of my mental perceptions changed. I'm always just trying to remind myself of Siddhartha and DFW's "this is water" speech, and it's helping me out a lot. An entire year of solitude and manual labour has left me socially inept and unable to interact with the middle class "academics" with whom I will eventually come into contact with when I begin university next year. Next week I'm flying out to europe and I'm going to spunk away all of my money so that I can stop worrying about it. Sorry for this terrible, unabridged passage but I think I needed it
>>
>>8044463
Masculinity is fundamentally about power. Setting goals for yourself and accomplishing them is huge. It makes you feel great and makes you value yourself. It depends on what it is you've been wanting to do but have been too lazy to get done but any kind of self improvement is great. Like I said people will from a young age spew this nonsense about not being selfish but you absolutely need to be selfish. You need to work for yourself before anyone else and you need to love yourself. But not, for no reason, not everyone deserves love. You need to become the man you want to be and you can love yourself. A fat person can pretend to love them self. But they don't understand what it means to look in the mirror and see the beautiful product of months of hard work staring at you. Lazy people don't know what it means when people left and right are congratulating you on what a great job you've done with whatever project you are working on or are thanking you for it. They don't know what it's like to see a cute girl that's a total stranger trying to hide the fact that she's staring at you, or the 8 year old boy who you just met but he has a look in his eyes like he's just met a superhero. It's about so much more than lifting and it all depends on you and your personal goals, but lifting is a great first step on the path. You are putting yourself under stress, you are going to see immediate results in the way you feel and the way you look, but it's just one of many things that you can accomplish to boost self confidence, and testosterone and happiness.
>>
File: zeezzworkoutroutine.jpg (311 KB, 900x430) Image search: [Google]
zeezzworkoutroutine.jpg
311 KB, 900x430
>>8044463
You are close man, don't take any more hormones, we're all gonna make it brah
>>
>>8044471
What direction so you think those guys are going to circle jerk him into?
>>
>>8044497
this guy looks as a gay model
>>
>>8044433
Have you ever worked? I can't believe you're sincerely happy with such a low-life condition.

>>8044501
He's also dead. Rest in peace.
>>
>>8044489
I have no problems with getting female attraction. I dress well and have the typical bishounen anime young man look. I might lift and develop some muscle mass, but not too much (think otter mode).

How old were you when you started lifting? 18 isn't too late, right?

>>8044497
Thanks brah.
>>
File: pomopepe.jpg (724 KB, 2988x3915) Image search: [Google]
pomopepe.jpg
724 KB, 2988x3915
I'm 24.

I write essays for college students. Not lucrative, but easy and takes minimal time. I used to get an income through blogging but I quit that game because it just fucks you up.

Life is going fine. My girlfriend and I just broke up, but today we made out. I'm not sure what to make of it.
>>
>>8044502
>He's also dead. Rest in peace.
from heart attack
apparently lifting is very healthy :3
>>
File: nj0rg.jpg (91 KB, 720x537) Image search: [Google]
nj0rg.jpg
91 KB, 720x537
>>8044501
Zyzz is definitely not gay brah
>>
>>8044506
Can you elaborate on the blogging thing?

Also, it's probably best to just ignore your ex from now on. Of course, I don't know the full story, but be careful.
>>
>>8044504
I started swimming around 16 but I started weight lifting when I was 26. 18 is not even close to too late, you are in prime time and you will be making gains faster than dudes who are 30 and working their ass off. Check out /fit/ and the sticky they'll lead you in the right direction
>>
File: zyzz2.jpg (72 KB, 482x720) Image search: [Google]
zyzz2.jpg
72 KB, 482x720
>>8044512
Zyzz was out of his mind on stimulants when he died, the dude was a party animal even though his family had a history of heart problems
>>
>>8044517
I have a pretty masculine dad, but growing up, I was always an effeminate faggy kid. What the hell happened?
>>
>>8044516

>blogging

I've blogged since I was like.. 15? Long story short I ended up involved in some pretty heavy shit (think Tumblr, but not exactly) and I went crazy so I decided to take a break and clear my head. That's been going really good and I'm thinking about returning to the blog game later with a new focus.

>ex

We're co-dependent. I'm pretty certain she's a narcissist and borderline, I'm also narcissist and bipolar. Made for each other, y'know?
>>
>How old are you?
Late thirties.

Have just resigned from an upper management position with a great salary and minimal hours. I plan on getting lost and don't have anything lined up.

>How is life going?
Fucking awful. Once you hit thirty most things go downhill. Bit of advice from an oldfag, 99% of everyone on here will not be a writer. Most all people are stupid and lie about books they've read. Starting with the greeks is not a meme, it should be required. Fantasy and Sci-Fi are for children. Being well-read doesn't help much in life at all, it only makes you realise how terrible things really are and how much of a waste of time life is.
>>
>>8044530
Since you failed yourself, why should I listen to your advices?
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 238x192) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 238x192
>>8044530
>starting with the greeks is not a meme

Kill yourself, my nigger.
>>
>>8044532
One can't fail if one doesn't play.
>>
>>8044535
So you admittedly don't know what you're talking about. One more time, why should I listen to you?
>>
>>8044525
You might just be a naturally low t or low male hormone dude that's possible. But a lot of masculine dad's don't necessarily teach their sons to be masculine. My dad is a giant dude who chops wood and does woodfire grill BBQ and he could kill most guys with his bear bands, but he had me when he was too young. He didn't know a thing about being a father and I had to learn what it meant to be a man on my own. Sadly our society looks down upon men behaving in the way that has brought society to where it is today and tries to suppress it through girl focused schooling (women far outperform men in school but men still far outperform women in professional life) or drugs (Ritalin and adderall supressing naturally creative and off the wall male behavior, very few girls are prescribed ADHD medication because ADHD is a predominantly male behavior).

But, we make do with what we can and there is not much use on dwelling on the past. Despite all of my father's failures and frequent attempts by the school system to institutionalize and drug me I persevered and still made it.
>>
>>8044530
When did you actually start reading books? I aspire to be a well-read man.
>>
damn /lit/ is sooooo shitty nowadays... the only alive thread it's some blog-style crap full of teenagers and aging losers

mrrrmmmmm phhshaw
>>
>>8044537
Why would you listen to a failure tell you why he should be listened to lmao the question answers itself. Unless you are filthy rich and are receiving advice from your father, don't listen to anyone's advice about life because they are failures trying to pass on their mindset of mediocrity to the next generation so they can feel better about themselves and like the lifestyle they lived was OK and others should engage in it.
>>
>>8044543
Says the animu poster. Please, jack off some more to your $400 figurines, you fat ass aspie.
>>
>>8044546
This
>>
>>8044506
>I'm not sure what to make of it.
eat her pussy
>>
>>8044544
>>8044537
Hahahaha. Keep on rocking, kids. Rich folks have great advice and all of the answers.
>>
>>8044489
>Lazy people don't know what it means when people left and right are congratulating you on what a great job you've done with whatever project you are working on or are thanking you for it. They don't know what it's like to see a cute girl that's a total stranger trying to hide the fact that she's staring at you, or the 8 year old boy who you just met but he has a look in his eyes like he's just met a superhero. It's about so much more than lifting and it all depends on you and your personal goals, but lifting is a great first step on the path.
my god you are a pure 20 yo beta.
>>
>>8044502
>Have you ever worked? I can't believe you're sincerely happy with such a low-life condition.

Resorting to cliched namecalling has no effect on the contemporary NEET. We are economic auto-didacts, selftaught philosophers and gifted visionaries. While others waste their life labouring under the orders of those who see only material cost in life, we pursue leisure above all else, knowing as we do that leisure and time to oneself is the basis of genius. Despite many people disliking the culture and society they help maintain through their work, and despite understanding now that we have only a single life on earth and that any meaning we attribute to it as the result of self-willed or socially-inculcated ideologies, they continue to wake early and trudge to their jobs for one single reason: Guilt. Throughout time religions have taken advantage of Man's guilt, a guilt experienced for no logical reason except that he unlike other animals is a self-aware being whose abstract thoughts conflict with the apparently practical, rational reality he finds himself a part of. We post-guilt NEETs will not bow to internal or external pressures encouraging us to sacrifice our contentment and sensitive dispositions for the sake of attaining money, or womenfolk. We alone stand proudly, detached from but keenly observant of the slave masses who yell at us for not being as unhappy as they are. We alone, we band of true men, defend our right to live a dignified life against those wishing to deprive of us of it. Yes you can mock, you can criticize, you can echo the demands your masters make upon you. But who is likely to regret their lives more? The noble and dignified NEETs who spend their truly precious time reading, pondering, philosophizing and engaging in critical, urgent debate online? Or the miserable, resentful masses, their eyes bloated and sagged by excess folds of skin, their hair falling out and their gums bleeding from stress, their bowels destroyed by a sedentary lifestyle spent at their desks clicking endlessly while their boss breaths down their necks?
>>
>>8044546
tsk tsk

you are boring
>>
>>8044552
Enjoy your social security and Medicare because you "didn't want to sell your soul" and couldn't be assed to read a single book on investment and structuring assets for retirement
>>
>>8044541
ADHD is such a fake diagnosis. It's amazing how many people let a child spend his whole day before a screen, whether it is a television or a computer, then are surprised he can't focus his attention on anything and lacks concentration in school. Nowadays, a kid is more likely to spend more time with a screen than his teachers by the time he goes in high school. It's incredible. Because solving the problem is too difficult and requires to question his lifestyle, they instead have the boy flagged as ADHD in order to get drugged. It's ridiculous.

>>8044544
Is this an advice? Just kidding. Of course, I won't take my lifestyle from this guy.

>>8044552
You could be eighty years old, calling the others kid would still be embarrassing. You sound like a co-worker of mine who keep patronizing me with such expressions, despite I'm more than half younger and had a better career than him.
>>
>>8044560
okay
>>
>>8044543

>high standards
>posting anime girls

Pick one.
>>
Eighteen
Can't write worth shit
My life hasn't really started yet
At the moment it's alright bar a few moderate to minor things
>>
>>8044616
smug_anime_girl.jpg
>>
File: 1461002107066.jpg (71 KB, 500x507) Image search: [Google]
1461002107066.jpg
71 KB, 500x507
I am 23

I have dropped out of University 3 times and have no degree.

I work part time, I have lots of autistic interests and have forgotten how to interact with normies.

I am selling off most of my things and want to live out of my car/acquire livestock and become a neo-pastoralist
>>
>>8044735
“Neo-pastoralist”, sure.

>>8044708
Your life starts when you're born. You're eighteen years late, you better have a book in your hand right now.
>>
>>8042262
aeronautical engineering masters
I spend all day studying STEM, mathematics, science etc, so I like to look at philosophy and the humanities in my spare time. Sometimes I write short stuff in my own time, but never for anyone to read. I'm a shit writer.

I wish I could travel back to my "art is worthless, something is only good if its useful" self and punch him in the face sometimes
>>
>>8044735
if you were another sheep, would you fuck a sheep if you were another sheep?
>>
File: 1462846852500.png (62 KB, 213x205) Image search: [Google]
1462846852500.png
62 KB, 213x205
>>8044750
Living on suburban periphery w/ small herd of sheep so I can orchestrate raids on/cuck sedentary normie betas/steal WiFi to shitpost frog memes
>>
>>8044759
Pathetic. Either be a Luddite and leave the civilization to move in a small mountainous retreat or keep silent.
>>
19 yo Male.

I'm finishing my college degree in Psychology in like 1 week. It sucked, should have taken another field, but whatever.

I'm going to find a job in a supermarket or somethig and spend the next year reading, playing vidya and trying to lose 15-30 lbs.

I might get into urban exploration as well, seems interesting.
>>
>>8044753
>I wish I could travel back to my "art is worthless, something is only good if its useful" self and punch him in the face sometimes
woah same feel dude

I was like this from perhaps 12-16 before I read some great novels and also Joseph Campbell and began to really understand that literature and art are actually useful in a much more obscure way than other stuff, in a very hard-to-define way.

It almost kills me inside to see people in their twenties, thirties and even later in life who still hold to such views, or think that art should serve as entertainment and nothing more.
>>
>>8044801
>It sucked, should have taken another field, but whatever.
Hey HS student :') here thinking of studying psych (among other things) in uni, what's wrong with it? I know it's usually full of normie women who want to become therapists because 'im really good at dealing with people's problems xDD' but I'm actually interested in the field.
>>
>>8044813

Yea, there is that, for one. It wasn't too bad in my case, but in the US it must be pretty bad, I imagine.

I went to what is called a ''CĂ©gep''. It's the equivalent of a college I guess. My main issue is that I feel like I didn't learn anything, and I don't say that to sound pretentious. Most of the course material in my different classes I could have read and understood by going to the public library. Classes didn't really go in depth; I guess that's what uni is for though.

Do you live in the US?
>>
>>8044804
Does anyone have that "nu males" pic?
>>
File: 1462799484952.gif (49 KB, 280x438) Image search: [Google]
1462799484952.gif
49 KB, 280x438
>>8044771
All great aryan pastoral cultures have also been pirates and terrorized sedentary betas.

I take it one step further by terrorizing betas across the globe with my frogs.
>>
File: zyzzworkoutroutine.jpg (164 KB, 1112x403) Image search: [Google]
zyzzworkoutroutine.jpg
164 KB, 1112x403
>>8044497
fix'd
>>
>>8044566
>ADHD is such a fake diagnosis
ADHD is very real but over diagnosed. Therapy is for most people good enough to get rid of their habits, and if it is not an habit and there is an actual congenital problem with the brain, medication is needed.
>>
>>8044865
jesus dude you're only 20. you'll pull through. stop feeling sorry for yourself though.
>>
>>8042262
>How old are you?
Law student
>How is life going?
Okay, depending on the exams
>>
>>8042262

I don't write for a living, I sell cell phones. On a good month, I bring in $2500. On a shit month, I bring in about $1500. I hate my job about 50% of the time, I tolerate it about 25% of the time, it's not bad about 15% of the time, and I like it about 10% of the time.

I want to be a full time novelist. I have 5 daughters, and I'm married to the same woman for almost 14 years. She cheated on me eight years ago, for a year and a half, with my best friend, who I took in as he was about to be homeless. I found out a year and a half ago. We've reconciled, after I was on the verge of leaving her; kids and a remorseful wife go a long way towards that.

We're working on buying a house... in fact, we're looking at one tomorrow. My prerequisite is that I have space to add a writing studio. Once my writing brings in two grand a month, I'm quitting cell sales and devoting myself to writing.

Life is like the tide, desu. It is good and it sucks. Sometimes I'm content, sometimes I am anything but.

I finished my first rough draft manuscript on April 26th. Go me.
>>
>>8044898
5 daughters what the fuck man
You must be poor as shit
Post something you've written, want to see if you'll make it as a writer
>>
>>8044907
Yup. Pretty fucking poor.

Google Docs link okay?
>>
>>8044898
>I have 5 daughters
do you know condoms?
>>
>>8044834
>Do you live in the US?
No, Australia. I was wondering why you were 19 and graduating.
>>
Never had a job
Finishing my math degree because I screwed around for 2.5 years. Going to grad school soon
>>
>>8044919
Young and dumb, man. Lived off the grid for ten years... condoms were a luxury we couldn't afford, plus pulling out, well, results in kids.

Fucking was just too much fun. Oh well... my kids are alright. I'll only be 43 when the youngest is 18.
>>
>>8044898

it seems these >>8044907 >>8044919 guys envy you :^)
>>
>>8044907
>>8044914
Fuck it. Here's the first draft, first chapter. Letting it simmer before I start rewriting it. I've gotten mixed reviews... some people love it, some hate it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sFPQgC7sFvtvHcbPmzUZdbaBoJvtsYkwWFwBd6w4lmQ/edit?usp=drive_web
>>
>>8044898
>5 daughters
>having this shitty defective genes
lmao, no wonder you're a cuck.
>>
>>8044939
We'll, there are worse lives. At least I'm not in an abusive relationship, living in Africa, or hideously deformed. I'm a little fat, but, I can lose weight.

I just wish the pussy wasn't drying up.
>>
>>8044949
Whatever, dude. Someone has to have girls, else the human race goes poof.
>>
>>8044960
Having a daughter is literally losing at life, but I guess that's why God made cucks like you.
>>
>>8044940
I'll read in a few hours when I'm taking a break from work lad
>>
>>8044976
No matter how happy it might make you, a world full of men is a dead end evolutionary street. Faggotopia is an unsustainable model.
>>
File: 1461420526893.jpg (226 KB, 737x601) Image search: [Google]
1461420526893.jpg
226 KB, 737x601
>>8044980
I fuck women but I would literally kill myself if I had a daugther, don't see how you could not, knowing how disgusting and demeaning sex is.
>>
>>8044976
Whatever you say, dude. Go make boys, idgaf.

>>8044979
Awesome. I appreciate it. Feedback is good for pointing out the areas I need to rewrite.
>>
>>8044985
That's weak, dude. All 4chan fuckery aside, that's a lame view to take on life.
>>
>>8044324

>comes to the asshole of the internet

>"Wait, you guys aren't all highly educated upper class people?"

>le monkey face
>>
File: 1456582529285.png (28 KB, 957x751) Image search: [Google]
1456582529285.png
28 KB, 957x751
22 years old.

I've got a degree in psych/science and I'm doing another bachelors in CS because fuck being a case worker. I got referred to one of the big three tech companies for an internship and I'm into the second round of interviews but I don't feel like I deserve it.

My friends and family want me to marry my gf of 4.5 years but neither of us want to commit while we're young.

I make decent money working weekends and I write about motorcycles sometimes.

Life is okay.
>>
File: 1461972483673.png (660 KB, 1106x1012) Image search: [Google]
1461972483673.png
660 KB, 1106x1012
>>8045011
Have you ever had sex bro? Do you know how disgusting it actually is?

Next time (first time) you have sex, try examining it objectively when your done and imagine someone doing that shit you just did to that poor girl to your future daughter. Disgusting!
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>How old are you?
Just turned 40
I install elevators
>How is life going?
It's not everything I thought it might be but there's people who have it worse. (See cancer anon above. Go with God, bro) I'm pushing the first volume of my 11 book space opera
For teens out next week and I'll release another every 90-100 days after. I've already started in the next series. Writing holds everything together for me. If I couldn't write and escape into my own little world once in awhile is prop ably be one of those people who goes to work with 1000 rounds of 5.56 and ends up dead on cnn. Writing is easier.
Here's a pic on my ride to the job I have where my boss is a fucking prick.
>>
>>8045021
While I don't relish the thought, I did it to someone's daughter, as did every single father ever.

That is, by definition, life.
>>
File: 1461130238187.jpg (47 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1461130238187.jpg
47 KB, 499x499
>>8045035
Yeah, but the difference is having it happen to YOUR daughter.

FUCKING GROSS
>>
>>8042262

I'm 44

Got an eng lit degree. Computer programmer now.

I have first drafts of five novels. Self published one in 1999 (highly do not recommend). I regret that I was not more disciplined in finishing novels before moving on to the next one. It's a little undisciplined.

Life's good. I'm unemployed right now, but I'm not worried at all. I expect to have a job soon. I have a supportive partner and time to work on my art.
>>
File: 1452326046162.png (405 KB, 501x451) Image search: [Google]
1452326046162.png
405 KB, 501x451
>>8045041
who gives a shit you fucking aspie

She can make her own decision by the time she's old enough
>>
File: 1444470713856.jpg (20 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1444470713856.jpg
20 KB, 225x225
>>8045049
Not if I have anything to say about it
>>
>>8044813
>I know it's usually full of normie women

You will find that most colleges are full of women. The sooner you outgrow your misogyny, the more you will enjoy life. Most (maybe) all of these women won't want to have sex with you. This is true of most of the men you encounter as well. I have never met you and I know I don't want to fuck you.
>>
>>8044530
>Bit of advice from an oldfag, 99% of everyone on here will not be a writer.

Bit of advice from another oldfag. 100% of everyone who writes is a writer. Just make art. Your life will be better for it.
>>
File: 1460107710827.jpg (1 MB, 800x1251) Image search: [Google]
1460107710827.jpg
1 MB, 800x1251
>>8044813
Job market is absolutely, absolutely terrible. It's a step above a general arts degree in terms of employability.

If you're not getting the grades to get into a postgrade program, cut your losses and move into something else. Especially if you're in the US and have to pay your way through uni.
>>
>>8045049
>She can make her own decision by the time she's old enough
14-15
>>
I'm 19, turning 20 in a month.

I am a philosophy major at a top university. I like it, but the people around me are all geniuses and it has really enervated my self-confidence. I was so smart and interesting in HS–everyone wanted to be my friend and hear what I thought about things, now everyone else is equally smart or has done more already with their life.

It's summer though and I'm pretty happy. I feel like people just feel stuff like this when they're adjusting to college
>>
>>8042262
>How old are you?

I just went back to college.

>How is life going?
Not good desu. Extremely depressed since my twenties, everything went downhill since then, tried suicide once, ironically while I was on antidepressants. I was in therapy for a year, finished three months ago. I still have to back to the psych for pills, but I'm ashamed to do so.
Everything is slightly better now though.
>>
>>8042469
>19
>Closest I ever get to 'artistic expression' are the essays I have to produce every week.
>Trouble is, I'm not sure if I have anything worth saying.
>Life could be worse, but it was difficult making the transition from secondary school to uni. Comparatively, it's been a fairly lonely experience thus far.

Fuck man this is me except I study English.
>>
>>8045332
Nobody has anything to say and books published and promptly forgotten far outnumber those that are remembered. Just write for the joy of it, and if you can't do that find something else to do.
>>
>>8042262
27, doing my PhD in sociology. It's alright, I recently got me two guinea pigs.
>>
File: image.png (100 KB, 231x226) Image search: [Google]
image.png
100 KB, 231x226
>>8045365
>PhD in sociology
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.