[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ayo /lit/ what's more important: the ritual or the myth?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: ourense-entrega.jpg (39 KB, 646x262) Image search: [Google]
ourense-entrega.jpg
39 KB, 646x262
Ayo /lit/ what's more important: the ritual or the myth?
Are myths only ad hoc ideological contexts for the development of collective rituals in which individual tensions can be collectively released in a socially acceptable way? Or are rituals only a way to collectively validate a belief system which is needed by each individual due to an essentialy human causal mentality?
I don't expect /his/ to give me a satisfactory answer so I ask yall.
>>
>>8041159
Why must either of these imply a reduction of the other category when they don't conflict?
>>
>>8041175
I mean what goes first?
I also think there's harmony between those two functions and institutions, but I want to hear some more opinions
>>
>>8041159
Myths goes first. The reason: Without the phantasm of myth all rituals are obviously pointless and so on and so on...
>>
>>8041159
Individuals can only be counted upon to the extent that they are supported by concrete forms of organisation and by their own participation within a historical movement dedicated to the maintenance of traditions and ways of life in the face of corruption and moral decay.
>>
>>8041225
Notice there are collective rituals which require only a selfcontained explanation (sports, for example), or some which even lack of any phantasmagoric myth: you don't need any ideological spook to go out and get drunk on a saturday night, but it's a collectively accepted way of releasing tensions and frustration.
>>
Ritual needs the myth to function.
>>
>>8041248
Neither of those are rituals, they have a productive purpose (to show who is best at moving balls, to lose self control and have fun) whereas the defining characteristic of rituals is that they have no productive value, it's purpose is inherent in the act itself
>>
Myth is the obsession bringing about the compulsion that is ritual.
>>
>>8041265
They all canalize individual frustrations and tensions, as I said before.
Obviously, some of them manifest in individual behaviors "productive" while those who include some kind of cosmogonical (or similar) explanation are collective.
Some guy can release his frustrations through meditation, sitting on a mat at home instead of going out getting shitfaced or throwing jabelins. But it also can be helpful for him to do that in a mass.
>>
>>8041293
>individual behaviors "productive"
Fuck, I don't know how to english anymore.
>>
>>8041293
But you see the point, if it has a claim to a clear product then it doesn't need to be mediated by a justification through myth
>>
>>8041305
It does if we're talking about a relatively small and culturally homogeneous society. It doesn't if culture and values are decentralized.
>>
>not acknowledging a dialectical relationship between material exigency and psychosocial substrate
>not acknowledging a dialectical relationship between the crystallized social and discursive psychic realms
>not being a possibilist
>being a fucking retard structuralist
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.