[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which philosophers/authors had the most patrician views on suicide?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1457432268323.png (200 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
1457432268323.png
200 KB, 500x370
Which philosophers/authors had the most patrician views on suicide?
I know of Camus, as does everyone else who has graduated high school.

pic unrelated
>>
Philipp Mainländer
>>
>>8040719
You could've gone on to say something other than just a name... but thanks
>>
>>8040738
You want his phone number or something?
>>
>>8040708
DFW
>>
>>8040708
http://www.davidhume.org/texts/suis.html
>>
Yukio Chan.
>>
>>8040708
Schopenhauer:

"They tell us that suicide is the greatest piece of cowardice... that suicide is wrong; when it is quite obvious that there is nothing in the world to which every man has a more unassailable title than to his own life and person."
>>
>>8040839
Yeah that'd be awesome man
>>
>>8040850

This.

>The only moral argument against suicide is that it is opposed to the achievement of the highest moral goal, inasmuch as it substitutes for a true redemption from this world of misery to a merely apparent one. But it is a very long way from a mistake of this kind to a crime, which is what the Christian clergy want to call it.
>>
>>8040850
I like this viewpoint a lot. Could it be seen as a kind of polar opposition to Christian ideas of sanctity of life? i.e. that life is God's gift, and therefore the possession of God's and not man.

I know I might be misunderstanding something here
>>
File: 646x404.jpg (41 KB, 646x404) Image search: [Google]
646x404.jpg
41 KB, 646x404
>Suicide is a sudden accomplishment, a lightning-like deliverance: it is nirvana by violence.
>A man does not kill himself, as is commonly supposed, in a fit of madness but rather in a fit of unendurable lucidity, in a paroxysm which may, if so desired, be identified with madness; for an excessive perspicacity, carried to the limit and of which one longs to be rid at all costs, exceeds the context of reason.
>I live only because it is in my power to die when I choose to: without the idea of suicide, I'd have killed myself right away.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.