[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was his fucking problem?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: file.png (804 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
file.png
804 KB, 900x675
What was his fucking problem?
>>
no spegetii
>>
>>8040217
Forgot to set his alarm.
>>
Hey was old and grumpy
>>
u cant know cuz u wud go mad if u did
>>
moot wouldn't let him be a janitor
>>
He got trolled
>>
>>8040217
>wake up from an eon long nap
>about to get up and stretch your legs
>A fucking boat smacks you in the head at full speed
>>
>>8040338
>stretch your legs

What's happening is part of a phenomenon I wrote about a couple of years ago when I was asked to comment on Lovecraft. I went to the Yale bookstore and bought and read a copy of "The Call of 'Cthulhu." I suffered a great deal in the process. The writing was dreadful; the storywas terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time Cthulhu woke from his aeonic slumber, the author wrote instead that the he "stretched his legs." I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Lovecraft's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that he has no other style of writing.

But when I wrote that in a newspaper, I was denounced. I was told that children would now only read H.P. Lovecraft, and I was asked whether that wasn't, after all, better than reading nothing at all? If Lovecraft was what it took to make them pick up a book, wasn't that a good thing?

It is not. "The Call of Cthulhu" will not lead our children on to Kipling's "Just So Stories" or his "Jungle Book." It will not lead them to Thurber's "Thirteen Clocks" or Kenneth Grahame's "Wind in the Willows" or Lewis Carroll's "Alice."

Later I read a lavish, loving review of Cthulhu by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Cthulhu at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "The Call of Cthulhu" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Our society and our literature and our culture are being dumbed down, and the causes are very complex. I'm 73 years old. In a lifetime of teaching English, I've seen the study of literature debased. There's very little authentic study of the humanities remaining. My research assistant came to me two years ago saying she'd been in a seminar in which the teacher spent two hours saying that Walt Whitman was a racist. This isn't even good nonsense. It's insufferable.
>>
>>8041506
Nicely done
>>
>>8041506
Am I being memed? I can't even tell anymore - this site has desensitized me to understanding sarcasm and irony.
>>
>>8041506
Congratulations, you have an opinion.
You want a cookie?
>>
>>8041506
harold, is that you?
>>
>>8040277
Underrated
>>
>>8041506
I disagree with the 'reading nothing is better than reading Lovecraft' diatribe at the end, but looking back on it, I always though Lovecraft was a bit lazy for always describing things as indescribable instead of trying to come up with an actual description.
>>
>>8041915
t. never read Lovecraft
>>
File: Sketties gone mon.gif (30 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Sketties gone mon.gif
30 KB, 400x300
>>8040219
>>
>>8041562
this is popular harry potter pasta. lurk moar
>>
>>8041506
>not changing the Walt Whitman line to H.P. Lovecraft

7/10 come on fampai.
>>
Cthulhu was a real jerk.
>>
>>8041506
Nice
>>
>>8040217
How would you feel if you woke up and found out your ant farm somehow got the impression they owned your crib?
>>
>>8041506
Tepkok
>>
is lovecraft considered a bad author?
I rather enjoyed some of his short stories
>>
>>8042235
We're just ironing senpaitachi :^)
>>
When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing an African American.
>>
File: what.png (660 KB, 1106x1012) Image search: [Google]
what.png
660 KB, 1106x1012
>>8042238
i still can't tell if you're serious or not
>>
>>8042253
Thanks for fixing the spacing.
>>
Cthulhu is for lack of better terms, a retarded aborted fetus from a higher dimensional realm. I don't mean retarded in a comical sense either, I'm talking about horrific retardation from generations of incest. Cthulhu is a blind,ignorant retard thrashing around in the dark
>>
File: 1459548743817.jpg (489 KB, 2796x1036) Image search: [Google]
1459548743817.jpg
489 KB, 2796x1036
>>8042265
I honestly don't even know anymore.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.