[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am currently pursuing an undergraduate degree in philosophy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 465x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 465x720
I am currently pursuing an undergraduate degree in philosophy and am disappointed to find an almost anal obsession with analytic philosophy among all my professors. Is it like this everywhere in the anglosphere? I appreciate science but logic, in my opinion, is more of a linguistic concern than a philosophical one. I would like to do historically, politically driven works based on the continental philosophers. Or perhaps I would like to do translation and interpretation of forgotten ancient philosophers. Should I switch my major?
>>
>studying philosophy unironically
>>
>>8038567
why would you pursue a degree in philosophy?
better off just getting a psych degree
>>
>>8038567
>Should I switch my major?

No, you should kill yourself.
>>
>>8038597
Pysch is useless as well unless you do grad school. But I guess that's your point.
>>
>>8038590
i actually do it quite ironically, i smoke pot and cigarettes and drink whiskey and fuck girls with low self esteem who think the void is interesting (just broke into the double digits)
>>8038597
psych does seem interesting and offers more career options but i'm less drawn to it as a subject
>>8038618
too difficult, i'd have to go to mexico and get barbituates and i don't speak spanish
>>
File: IMG_1421.CR2.jpg (454 KB, 2048x1534) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1421.CR2.jpg
454 KB, 2048x1534
First of all, I don't think there is actually a schism between continental and analytical philosophers, or that there was an absolute divsion between the two. The dichotomy is created to help year 1 students to atomize the vast field that is philosophy.
Second, in essence, all philosophy courses are in fact a course of the history of a certain field of philosophy. If you are reading about the idea of freedom for instance, then you are bound to go through the history of the idea of freedom. Note that it is about ideas rather than the philosophers, as the latter were more symbols than human. So, the question here is, which concept would you like to probe into? Morality, you say? Broad but aplicable. The nature of justice? Bland but we can start from there. The justice of random distributed scarce resources? Now that's something you can work on.
To be frank, if you want to rediscover and reinterpret obscure ancient philosophers(which sounds like a fools errand to me), you have better luck reading classics or a history course. If you feel frustrated for not finding interest in your degree, try following a particular big name philosopher, and binge read all his work and squeeze every drop of ideas out of it.
Wittgenstein was a good chap and his work is easy to read and understand. Best of luck, OP
>>
>>8038567
If you're at a decent university, there'll be upper level courses in history of philosophy about specific philosophers or works. Do those.
>>
>>8038704
This is such nonsense, did you even study philosophy? It doesn't sound like you did honestly
>>
>>8038633
How do you pull 10 year olds?
>>
>>8038567
If your school has a good Classics department, switch your major. Or be a real badass and do a double major. Or do enough of Philosophy to get a minor, and then abruptly change your major to Classics and do all the work for it in a single year or so. That last would make a good story.

If your school doesn't have a Classics department, transfer to one that does, and then follow the above advice.

Anyway, becoming truly philosophical requires a sustained engagement with the Great Books, and the modern Classics major is the closest thing which fits the bill, except for a few overspecialized undergrad institutions that say they're "doing the Great Books."

Unfortunately, it's already summer, so if you need to transfer you can't really do it till next spring. Start working on that now, and in the near term either cobble together a summer workload of studying Latin and Greek, or do it this fall at our current school if you can.
>>
>>8039359
Also, find a professor at your current school who seems halfway fair to the Greeks or Romans, or maybe an Augustine guy (every one in ten or so analytic loves Augustine cuz Witty loved him) and ask their advice.
>>
>>8038567
So you want to be in Political Science or history then. Yeah, change your major. You clearly misunderstood what philosophy departments do.
>>
>>8038804
Ye, way into mphil now so too late to back out, but hey, I could have been fucked up since year 1. Why is it nonsense? I am curious.
>>
>>8039466
You certainly are not studying at a ranked philosophy department. You have no clue what you are talking about.
>>
>>8039489
Can you elaborate for my sake?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.