[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Argue the merits and value of degrees in English and Philosophy.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (144 KB, 842x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
144 KB, 842x800
Argue the merits and value of degrees in English and Philosophy. It's Literally useless to pursue these degrees in University when the hard sciences exist. Defend your major(s) /lit/
>>
Your mom couldn't defend her major slit last night when I spooged in it
>>
>>8037486
language is an integral part of human existence. english is the formal study of a currently predominant language as it is and has been expressed and read by people. this kind of study facilitates effective communication. communication is essential to survival.

philosophy is formalized thinking. thinking is also an integral and essential part of human existence and survival. the hard sciences are different types of a philosophy, namely empiricism. even bare facts unearthed by 'hard sciences' require philosophical interpretation. see for example the different competing interpretations of quantumn mechanics. the equations and experiments of quantumn mechanics are singular, but they are INTERPRETED differently. this is philosophy.

>It's Literally useless to pursue these degress

but it's literally all about fulfilling desire though. things like 'merit,' 'value,' or 'use' are pretenses cowards use to justify their personal preferences. the premise of a degree being useful or not is the assumption that human beings must continue to survive in the universe. many billions of years went by without us being here, and literally countless billions more will follow our collective annihilation. while we are here it is paramount we pursue our own desires, goals, and passions. some of us that is reading and thinking about fiction, others that may be looking at and thinking about distant stars. no need to condescend
>>
>>8037486
>hard science
LOL
>>
>>8037486
don't fall for the bait, guys
>>
File: download.jpg (4 KB, 213x237) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4 KB, 213x237
>>8037486
>implying everything isn't equally useless
>>
>>8037486
I can study for free since I'm not an Amerifat and I feel more engaged and living a worthwhile life when I'm studying this stuff rather than being thought how to make a shitty iphone app
>>
Languages are not my cup of tea (except some classes of latin)
but philosophy could develop mind in a good way: expend your universe to the concept (choices) or try to succeed to the different conflicts in our souls (wars, nuclears, torture...)
But why those two maneers are not good enough about hard sciences is, in my opinion, because they failed in a common imaginarium or in relative intelligence; they could be seen as some dreams but not as some real directives (spatial exploration, medicine)
>>
>>8037605
I'm from Minnesota and I'm sure as shit not studying for free
>>
>>8037486
I need to go to graduate school for my planned field of work

Philosophy majors score highly on the GRE, complete relatively rigorous coursework, and I find it personally and intellectually stimulating

Therefore, I am majoring in philosophy as an undergraduate
>>
>>8037566
This is a great answer, and it doesn't even touch upon the professional routes such majors can make or the avenues they open for graduate study
>>
File: nik approves.png (243 KB, 599x544) Image search: [Google]
nik approves.png
243 KB, 599x544
>>8037491
epic
>>
>>8037566
This.

Also
>Hard sciences and their results generally make people more stressed and less happy
>Language and philosophy gives worth to the human spirit.
>>
>>8037486
My friend did philosophy for four years at uni. With that being his only qualification he has a job as an ethicist in the department of health. His job is to be flown around the country on government money, provide ethical input to hospitals and government branches, and he gets paid almost as well as a doctor. He has only just started the job and his salary will only go up.

Governments, hospitals and large corporations that do work that have ethical implications love people with philosophy degrees. In spite of what people think philosophy degrees are very useful for finding a job. They are also the kind of degree which makes all your other degrees look better. No one cares that you you have a degree in engineering and English, whatever job you go for can only have one of those two being decisive. Philosophy degrees look good next to any other degree.
>>
>>8037915
>>Hard sciences and their results generally make people more stressed and less happy
lmao you have clearly never enjoyed the innocent bliss of being a stemlord

t. former-stemlord-turned-humanitiesguy
>>
File: 1448622753004.jpg (111 KB, 500x460) Image search: [Google]
1448622753004.jpg
111 KB, 500x460
Am I insane for trying to become a professor of philosophy?

Otherwise, I'll shoot for psych.
>>
>>8037956
You better be mad, its practically a prerequisite for the work
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.